Need Advice - what should I do about my hair loss? Pics

birdistheword

Reaction score
Hello. I'm a 35 year old male - my dad went bald and so did my grandfather. I know it's bound to happen to me. I've always had this bald spot at the back of my head ever since i was probably 15. I didn't think much of it until my late teens when the bald spot started to grow. My hairline is starting to recede but I don't have really heavy hair loss. I can shower and wash my hair and I don't really lose much...but I know it's a slow process that I can't avoid. What do you suggest? Do you think I'm a candidate for surgery? I'm skeptical of taking medicines or foams and I was thinking about the transplants. I'm new to all this - i'm not sure what category I fall in (Norwood 3? 4?). Thanks for all your advice. Fortunately I live in Los Angeles which provides me with many great cosmetic surgeons.
thanks hair01.jpghair02.jpghair03.jpghair04.jpghair05.jpg

ProscarRules

Reaction score
Well, your crown looks more like thinning. I don't think it's a bald spot yet. You can certainly consult with a hair transplant surgeon in LA metropolitan area if they give free consultation. I think all the options they will give is 1) Do nothing and wear a wig down the road 2) Propecia and/or Rogaine 3) Surgery. I am no doctor, but I think common sense would dictate surgery as a last resort.

Please let us know what any hair transplant surgeon advises you if you consult with any.

I would like to know what a hair transplant surgeon would say about your crown if your crown has been thin for 20 years.

Best of luck.

birdistheword

Reaction score
Well, your crown looks more like thinning. I don't think it's a bald spot yet. You can certainly consult with a hair transplant surgeon in LA metropolitan area if they give free consultation. I think all the options they will give is 1) Do nothing and wear a wig down the road 2) Propecia and/or Rogaine 3) Surgery. I am no doctor, but I think common sense would dictate surgery as a last resort.

Please let us know what any hair transplant surgeon advises you if you consult with any.

I would like to know what a hair transplant surgeon would say about your crown if your crown has been thin for 20 years.

Best of luck.

thanks for the tips. Yes I think surgery would be the last resort. I prefer to do nothing but I know it's going to eventually thin completely out. I'm very nervous about Propecia and Rogaine due to the unwanted side effects.

wstef

Established Member
Reaction score
In most cases any side effects of finasteride are temporary, and usually wear off (especially if you stop). Some unlucky folk have had them on a more permanent basis.

Minoxidil affects people differently. Some report dryness of the skin, others report their face retaining more water, and the biggest issue I see online is dark circles under the eyes (one which affected me to some degree).

I initially had problems with orgasms (they were crap to put it bluntly) with finasteride but that improved after the first 3 months (the issue was on and off).

Good luck. Surgery isn't the miracle cure, either, and it seems many people who opt for surgery also use drugs to top it up anyway. I think it's far more obvious when people have had surgery to when they are on drugs, because the drugs take longer to show results so it's a more natural improvement.

Good luck with whatever you choose.