Need Some Serious Advice (please) Balding Quick

Omw2bald

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm pretty new to forum posting so here goes nothing! Hope someone can help figure out what type of hair loss I have or any advice would be amazing and much appreciated.

Well to start out, I have been thinning since I turned 22, and now I'm currently 26. My hair loss has been pretty accelerated over the years. I'm currently a Norwood 3-3.5 but a pretty serious diffuse thinner as well.

When I turned 22, I began to shed pretty bad and my Dr. told me I had Telogen Effluvium but hormones were also eating my hair at the same time so I was receding pretty rapidly.

I have tried, Propecia, Avodart, minoxidil, Rogaine, DHT blocking shampoos, Spironolactone, Anti-Inflammatories but nothing seems to work. I went in to get my hormones checked, and boom, my total testosterone level is at around 1400 which is double or so the normal limit. Any any DHT blocker I have tried orally has made me get an intense itch and serious shed, every single time I've tried. My doctor told me my hair loss could definitely be purely Testosterone related and not so much DHT, because when I take DHT blockers the increase in Testosterone just kills my hair.

Now my questions is, what could I possibly do to inhibit testosterone on my hair follicles? I also have pretty bad inflammation on my scalp, and it always has a pretty good itch going. I'm still trying to figure out anything that reduces my oily scalp as well. My hair gets pretty oily throughout the day and seems to increase the itch and inflammation.

I'm also allergic to PG in topicals which causes a good amount of dandruff. So any topical without PG would be nice.

Does anyone know if RU or CB would be more beneficial for me? Or any help would be seriously appreciated at this point, I'm literally fighting for my hairs life.

I'm hoping someone has the same problem as I do with the super elevated Testosterone levels. I also do not workout, have never taken steroids or any pro hormones.

Also my current regimen:

Daily Multi Vitamin
Rogaine Foam, 1x ED (crown)

Thanks for reading!

Last edited:

hairblues

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I think @buckthorn has at least some things in common with you.

the itch? do you use Keto shampoo? i use Regenepure DR i like it a lot.

Have you tried topical anti DHT? Was spironolactone topical or oral?

Omw2bald

My Regimen
Reaction score
I think @buckthorn has at least some things in common with you.

the itch? do you use Keto shampoo? i use Regenepure DR i like it a lot.

Have you tried topical anti DHT? Was spironolactone topical or oral?

I have tried nizoral 2% off and on but it doesn't do too much or I just haven't noticed any changes when I did use it.

The spironolactone was oral that I tried, also tried topical spironolactone as well. My scalp is super sensitive to certain topicals that cause dandruff or a good amount of irritation which has caused some shedding.

I've tried Lipogaine, minoxidil liquid, and Fluridil as well

hairblues

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I have tried nizoral 2% off and on but it doesn't do too much or I just haven't noticed any changes when I did use it.

The spironolactone was oral that I tried, also tried topical spironolactone as well. My scalp is super sensitive to certain topicals that cause dandruff or a good amount of irritation which has caused some shedding.

I've tried Lipogaine, minoxidil liquid, and Fluridil as well

wow i am sorry to hear all this.

I have no advice except maybe research some topical essential oils that may help with the itch not growth or shed unfortunately.

i don't have itch or burning i know some have mentioned this.

there is some stuff that should be available by 2018 but no way to know how effective or if it would work for someone having such reaction to all treatments.

You can check the new research page and read about some stuff thats coming or may be coming.

buckthorn

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
My testosterone isn't THAT high, it's like 750 / 900 before finasteride and 880/900 while on finasteride. I assume it could be even HIGHER now for some reason, because I have symptoms of it. I should get it checked again. that boost in testosterone wrecked my hair. I am VERY convinced that high T either indirectly or directly can lead to increase in shedding in male pattern baldness. Whenever I have high T, I get crawling and burning throughout my scalp that highly correlates with shedding.

When did you drop finasteride?

Are you SURE that your levels haven't remained high because of using finasteride previously or...

Did you get your levels checked before started finasteride? if so, what were they?

Yes, you sound similar to me and a few other posters on here. Perhaps @Dench57 or @Ziggyz123 can give you some additional advice?

If I were you, I would consider RU mixed with stemoxydine, and oral setipiprant.

buckthorn

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Now my questions is, what could I possibly do to inhibit testosterone on my hair follicles?

I'm also allergic to PG in topicals !

RU is one of your only options for blocking the androgen receptors that may bind testosterone. It wouldn't get rid of anything, it may just prevent it from binding. it's all theoretical of course and the actual evidence of hair maintanence / regrowth for RU is minimal. You could also try oral equol. you can find it on e-bay. once again, very very inconclusive evidence, but ok in theory.

other than that, try your best to reduce the inflammation. nizoral shampoo, supplements, and different oils perhaps.

buckthorn

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I would also really like to hear @Swoop 's opinion on this. Whatcha think bud?

Omw2bald

My Regimen
Reaction score
My testosterone isn't THAT high, it's like 750 / 900 before finasteride and 880/900 while on finasteride. I assume it could be even HIGHER now for some reason, because I have symptoms of it. I should get it checked again. that boost in testosterone wrecked my hair. I am VERY convinced that high T either indirectly or directly can lead to increase in shedding in male pattern baldness. Whenever I have high T, I get crawling and burning throughout my scalp that highly correlates with shedding.

When did you drop finasteride?

Are you SURE that your levels haven't remained high because of using finasteride previously or...

Did you get your levels checked before started finasteride? if so, what were they?

Yes, you sound similar to me and a few other posters on here. Perhaps @Dench57 or @Ziggyz123 can give you some additional advice?

If I were you, I would consider RU mixed with stemoxydine, and oral setipiprant.

Definitely appreciate the reply Buckthorn.

I'm also convinced high T can definitely wreck hair quick fast and in a hurry. I've gotten my hormones checked pre- finasteride and post finasteride, and pre finasteride my Test was at around 1200 or so, after finasteride it was up to about 1400. So definitely still on the high side. But man, I would instantly shed after taking 1 or 2 pills it's horrible.

I'm about to order stemox, and try RU with the stemox vehicle. Maybe see how that goes.

I've never heard of oral setipiprant, what is the pathophysiology of it? and where can you purchase it?

I was also going ask what the difference in CB and RU is? Would the Regenpure shampoo work better than standard nizoral as a daily or EOD shampoo?

Man, the trial and error of hair loss sucks.

I definitely appreciate your help

Omw2bald

My Regimen
Reaction score
Do you also have a link for Equol? What is the difference between that, finasteride, and dutasteride?

IggyPop

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
My doctor told me my hair loss could definitely be purely Testosterone related and not so much DHT, because when I take DHT blockers the increase in Testosterone just kills my hair.
Not sure, how you wanna know this. When I started Finasteride I also had some increased shedding and itching, but it got much better after a few months. Imo, at the moment you don´t have many chances left. If you are balding quick, you have to risk it. Your choice, I am not an expert.

hairblues

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I like the Regenepur DR shampoo over the prescription 2% Keto...i find the 2% harsh. I use it once in a while.

I think the other things in the Rengenpur DR are soothing to the scalp--that being said i don't have a sensitive scalp as some people do.

You can go to the website and check out the other ingredients.

Or you can look into some essential oils that soothe scalp and add them to a baby shampoo like Johnson and Johnson maybe.

@Armando Jose Knows a lot about essential oils.

Omw2bald

My Regimen
Reaction score
Not sure, how you wanna know this. When I started Finasteride I also had some increased shedding and itching, but it got much better after a few months. Imo, at the moment you don´t have many chances left. If you are balding quick, you have to risk it. Your choice, I am not an expert.

Hopefully I can figure something out. Going to try a different topical route with CB to see if it disrupts my internal hormones or not. Hopefully it doesn't screw with my test.

Omw2bald

My Regimen
Reaction score
I like the Regenepur DR shampoo over the prescription 2% Keto...i find the 2% harsh. I use it once in a while.

I think the other things in the Rengenpur DR are soothing to the scalp--that being said i don't have a sensitive scalp as some people do.

You can go to the website and check out the other ingredients.

Or you can look into some essential oils that soothe scalp and add them to a baby shampoo like Johnson and Johnson maybe.

@Armando Jose Knows a lot about essential oils.

I'll give a new shampoo a shot and see if the Revita or Regen soothes my scalp a little bit

KO1

Established Member
Reaction score
Propecia gave you intense itching and shedding? This is borderline unheard of...

hairblues

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Propecia gave you intense itching and shedding? This is borderline unheard of...

there is something going on with a few people that is extreme reaction to any medications with hair loss.
I dont know why but I did read a paper from an Australian Dermapathologist about a 'hybrid' of Androgenetic Alopecia with an autoimmune component..I dont know if he was correct think it was just a theory..but something is up...too many people having same or similar symptoms and reactions.

Omw2bald

My Regimen
Reaction score

Within hours of taking any DHT blocker, finasteride or Avodart I would get an instant inflammatory itch. But then again, I've read that blocking or reducing DHT, increases your Total Testosterone by a certain percentage which I think is my main problem here that's eating away at my hair.

rafiles

Established Member
Reaction score
Within hours of taking any DHT blocker, finasteride or Avodart I would get an instant inflammatory itch. But then again, I've read that blocking or reducing DHT, increases your Total Testosterone by a certain percentage which I think is my main problem here that's eating away at my hair.

Do you have hair loss (shedding). If not, then you can take other stuff (not finasteride or Avodart)

What you should do is not decreasing Testosterone, you should increase your Estrogen (Estradiol) and after that you can test all the applications (finasteride ...) again or RU.

Omw2bald

My Regimen
Reaction score
Do you have hair loss (shedding). If not, then you can take other stuff (not finasteride or Avodart)

What you should do is not decreasing Testosterone, you should increase your Estrogen (Estradiol) and after that you can test all the applications (finasteride ...) again or RU.

I will definitely try that. Any recommendations on what to take to boost my estrogen? Not sure if it matters, but I also have abnormally high SHBG levels.

Still trying to figure all this out.