New Baicalin Study: Wnt-pathway Activation/gsk3b Inhibition

HairCook

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Baicalin increases hair follicle development by increasing canonical Wnt/β‑catenin signaling and activating dermal papillar cells in mice.

Xing F, Yi WJ, Miao F, Su MY, Lei TC.

Int J Mol Med. 2018 Jan 16. doi: 10.3892/ijmm.2018.3391. [Epub ahead of print]

Baicalin is a traditional Chinese herbal medicine commonly used for hair loss, the precise molecular mechanism of which is unknown. In the present study, the mechanism of baicalin was investigated via the topical application of baicalin to reconstituted hair follicles on mice dorsa and evaluating the effect on canonical Wnt/β‑catenin signaling in the hair follicles and the activity of dermal papillar cells. The results indicate that baicalin stimulates the expression of Wnt3a, Wnt5a, frizzled 7 and disheveled 2 whilst inhibiting the Axin/casein kinase 1α/adenomatous polyposis coli/glycogen synthase kinase 3β degradation complex, leading to accumulation of β‑catenin and activation of Wnt/β‑catenin signaling. In addition, baicalin was observed to increase the alkaline phosphatase levels in dermal papillar cells, a process which was dependent on Wnt pathway activation. Given its non‑toxicity and ease of topical application, baicalin represents a promising treatment for alopecia and other forms of hair loss. Further studies of baicalin using human hair follicle transplants are warranted in preparation for future clinical use. 

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29336472

There were previous studies also mentioning Dkk1 and some growth factors like VEGF. Maybe someone wants to try? (take picture protocoll, srsly :) )

Would be definitely interesting. However I am not sure how strong it is and I have yet to see a concentrated extract like 20:1.

HairCook

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Baicalin, a flavonoid, affects the activity of human dermal papilla cells and promotes anagen induction in mice.
Shin SH1, Bak SS, Kim MK, Sung YK, Kim JC.
Author information

Abstract
Baicalin, a flavonoid isolated from Scutellaria baicalensis, is known to have multiple biological functions. Recent studies have demonstrated that baicalin treatment increases alkaline phosphatase activity (ALP) and osteoprotegerin secretion by osteoblasts. Furthermore, baicalin induces the differentiation of cultured osteoblasts via the activation of the Wnt/β-catenin signaling pathway. In this study, we evaluated the hair growth-promoting effects of baicalin in human follicular dermal papilla (DP) cells. A reporter assay and Western blotting were used to assess the effect of baicalin on β-catenin signaling in DP cells. ALP activity and messenger RNA (mRNA) expression were examined by ALP staining and real-time polymerase chain reaction (PCR), respectively. Growth factor expression levels were also evaluated using real-time PCR. Finally, the effect of baicalin on hair growth in vivo was examined by topical application of baicalin on the shaved dorsal skin of C57BL/6 mice. Our results indicate that baicalin activates Wnt/β-catenin signaling in a dose-dependent manner in human DP cells. ALP mRNA expression and activity were significantly induced in the presence of baicalin. In addition, treatment with baicalin induced the mRNA expression of growth factors, such as insulin-like growth factor-1 (IGF-1) and vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF). Moreover, compared to vehicle treatment, baicalin treatment induced an earlier conversion from telogen to anagen. Our results strongly suggest that baicalin promotes hair growth by regulating the activity of DP cells.

____

Baicalin and geniposide inhibit the development of atherosclerosis by increasing Wnt1 and inhibiting dickkopf-related protein-1 expression.
Wang B1, Liao PP1, Liu LH1, Fang X1, Li W1, Guan SM1.
Author information

Abstract
BACKGROUND:
Our previous study showed that the combined Chinese herbs containing scutellaria baicalensis georgi and gardenia jasminoids ellis inhibited atherosclerosis. In this study, we sought to determine if baicalin and geniposide could inhibit atherosclerosis through Wnt1 and dickkopf-related protein-1 (DKK1).

METHODS:
The wild-type and ApoE-/- mice were treated with baicalin, geniposide, and baicalin plus geniposide daily by gavage for 12 weeks. Blood lipid levels were measured with an automatic biochemistry analyzer. Aortic atherosclerotic lesion areas were analyzed with Image-ProPlus software. The mRNA and protein expression of DKK1, Wnt1 and nuclear factor-κB (NF-κB) were measured with RT-PCR and Western Blot. Serum levels of interleukin-12 (IL-12) were quantified with ELISA.

RESULTS:
The baicalin or geniposide monotherapy as well as combination therapy inhibited the development of atherosclerotic lesions, increased Wnt1 and decreased DKK1 expression and elevated the ratio of Wnt1/DKK1 compared with high-lipid diet group. However, only baicalin or geniposide monotherapy decreased NF-κB expression. Moreover, baicalin and geniposide mono- or combination therapy lowered IL-12 levels. Geniposide reduced both serum total cholesterol and low density lipoprotein levels, while baicalin either alone or in combination with geniposide did not affect serum lipid levels. In human, umbilical vein endothelial cells stimulated by oxidized low density lipoprotein, baicalin and geniposide also increased Wnt1 and decreased DKK1 expression and elevated the ratio of Wnt1/DKK1.

CONCLUSIONS:
Baicalin and geniposide exert inflammation-regulatory effects and may prevent atherosclerotic lesions through enhancing Wnt1 and inhibiting DKK1 expression.

Calchas

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Baicalin increases hair follicle development by increasing canonical Wnt/β‑catenin signaling and activating dermal papillar cells in mice.

Xing F, Yi WJ, Miao F, Su MY, Lei TC.

Int J Mol Med. 2018 Jan 16. doi: 10.3892/ijmm.2018.3391. [Epub ahead of print]

Baicalin is a traditional Chinese herbal medicine commonly used for hair loss, the precise molecular mechanism of which is unknown. In the present study, the mechanism of baicalin was investigated via the topical application of baicalin to reconstituted hair follicles on mice dorsa and evaluating the effect on canonical Wnt/β‑catenin signaling in the hair follicles and the activity of dermal papillar cells. The results indicate that baicalin stimulates the expression of Wnt3a, Wnt5a, frizzled 7 and disheveled 2 whilst inhibiting the Axin/casein kinase 1α/adenomatous polyposis coli/glycogen synthase kinase 3β degradation complex, leading to accumulation of β‑catenin and activation of Wnt/β‑catenin signaling. In addition, baicalin was observed to increase the alkaline phosphatase levels in dermal papillar cells, a process which was dependent on Wnt pathway activation. Given its non‑toxicity and ease of topical application, baicalin represents a promising treatment for alopecia and other forms of hair loss. Further studies of baicalin using human hair follicle transplants are warranted in preparation for future clinical use. 

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29336472

There were previous studies also mentioning Dkk1 and some growth factors like VEGF. Maybe someone wants to try? (take picture protocoll, srsly :) )

Would be definitely interesting. However I am not sure how strong it is and I have yet to see a concentrated extract like 20:1.
I don't want to sound like a messenger of bad news,but i've tried pure baicalein (which is the aglycone of baicalin and actually its active ingredient)topically two years ago,
and the results were zero from zero,zero.

HairCook

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I don't want to sound like a messenger of bad news,but i've tried pure baicalein (which is the aglycone of baicalin and actually its active ingredient)topically two years ago,
and the results were zero from zero,zero.

Good to hear. No I didnt have any expectations, I never have any towards natural stuff.

What was the vehicle? When I googled the solubility looked pretty bad and the molecular weight was close to 500 dalton.

Calchas

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Good to hear. No I didnt have any expectations, I never have any towards natural stuff.

What was the vehicle? When I googled the solubility looked pretty bad and the molecular weight was close to 500 dalton.
Baicalein has molar mass of 270.24,while baicalin has almost the double.
I dissolved it in ethanol and DMSO.

Trichosan

My Regimen
Reaction score
@Calchas, where did you get the Baicalein? Maybe dermaroll also? Perhaps, like Minoxidil, it might work in some and not in others?

Calchas

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
@Calchas, where did you get the Baicalein? Maybe dermaroll also? Perhaps, like Minoxidil, it might work in some and not in others?
1)Alibaba...2)Didn't dermaroll...3)Perhaps
Personally,i have lost faith in the topical route(except mesogun).
I believe that there are systemic markers for male pattern baldness that haven't yet been identified.
I truly believe that it will be possible in the future to reverse the pattern with a pill,without affecting your manhood.

Ilia

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I found baicalin in Phytologist 15 even i live in Russia where baicalin grows around Lake Baical and in areas more close to China/Mongolia.
in russian shops i found like roots of baicalin -for tee/ tincture.