New Forum Member, First Day of Finasteride is TODAY

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Quick bio:
I'm a 25 year old grad student who has been thinning for 9-12 months almost exclusively at the hairline. I'm about a Norwood 2-2.5, and it shows no sign of stopping. My maternal side of the family has no hair loss, but my father, his brother, and his dad are all bald (and already were by my age).

About 9 months ago, I had a weird body change that I believe to be a maturation similar to a second puberty. I got acne for the first time in 6 years, my hair started receding/shedding.

I've seen a GP and a dermatologist about my hairloss. The GP was worthless, insincere, and incompetent (at least for hairloss). He threw me a bottle of 2% keto and said good day. The keto aggravated my scalp and caused me to get itchy and flakey. I discontinued. The dermatologist was really cool and competent; she offered me finasteride if I really wanted it, but advised I wait 3 months to see if my hair continues to deter. That was in November, and the appointment was to be next week, which I have cancelled to save myself from an eternity of follow-up visits and prescriptions. Both had me get blood work done which tested out fine across the board (including Free T).

After hours and hours of hair loss research, I decided to self-medicate. Today arrived my 5mg Fincar from inhousepharmacy. Needless to say, I'm pretty stoked.

I'm a very emotionally stable dude, so don't expect me to be some manic, propeciahelp.com-esque homeboy to cry of testicular pain and boner loss. (not to mitigate some other member's real sides):laugh:

Current hair status:
NW2. Thinning exclusive to hair line (maybe a tiny bit on crown?). Left side is thinner, but right side is further receded; I've attributed this to my aggressive styling of my hair which I pull hard from the left side (cowlick) across to the right and/or that I'm just receding asymmetrically which is apparently very common. It feels like the left side is just playing catch up to the right side.

I'm not self-concious about it yet. I like my "mature hairline", but just don't want it to go any further, so I'm hoping to freeze it until I'm married/have kids (don't give a **** about my looks).

Biological gradient:
So, the big day is here. 02/21/2013. I cut the fincar into 1/8ths which was surprisingly easy - 0.625 mg.

I just popped the first one - didn't even think twice. My plan is EOD 0.625 for the first 1 month. At 1 month, I will move up to 0.625 mg every day. At 12 months, I will assess whether or not that dosage is appropriate.

Conclusion:
Anyways, I've attached baselines pictures, and will follow up when it seems necessary.

If you have any questions about my hair loss or background, ask away.

Best regards.

Attachments

• IMG_0144.JPG
    IMG_0144.JPG
    31.7 KB · Views: 249
  • IMG_0127.jpg
    IMG_0127.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 263
  • IMG_0131.JPG
    IMG_0131.JPG
    36.6 KB · Views: 269
  • IMG_0138.JPG
    IMG_0138.JPG
    40.3 KB · Views: 274
  • IMG_0139.JPG
    IMG_0139.JPG
    34.8 KB · Views: 330
  • IMG_0142.JPG
    IMG_0142.JPG
    32.1 KB · Views: 256
  • IMG_0143.JPG
    IMG_0143.JPG
    28.5 KB · Views: 286

talmoode

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Good hair, mate! Keep it up!

gab_al

Reaction score
Hi

I'm a new member as well and I just took my first pill today. I know what you mean about that "second puberty", the same happened to me. As my head hair started to thin, I started developing body hair in new places of my body and got some acne at my back.

Some say it is normal to get sides at the start as your body gets used to the change but they recede with time. We'll see how it goes. Best luck to both of us!

Reaction score
Hi

I'm a new member as well and I just took my first pill today. I know what you mean about that "second puberty", the same happened to me. As my head hair started to thin, I started developing body hair in new places of my body and got some acne at my back.

Some say it is normal to get sides at the start as your body gets used to the change but they recede with time. We'll see how it goes. Best luck to both of us!

Yeah, the other forum I'm of a member of had a few guys who said they had a similar event in their life as well. Who knew? At the risk of being too much information, my unit also went through a bit of a change (for the better).

But, yes, I wish you the best of luck, good sir.

J.Harrison

Reaction score
When I first noticed the beginning of hair loss, I was also having an acne flare up (and got back acne which I *never* had, even as a teenager).

Very minor sides on finasteride (watery semen and weaker erections for the first month or so). I'd say they've 95% subsided since. I can deal with that.

Also a NW2.

Reaction score
When I first noticed the beginning of hair loss, I was also having an acne flare up (and got back acne which I *never* had, even as a teenager).

Very minor sides on finasteride (watery semen and weaker erections for the first month or so). I'd say they've 95% subsided since. I can deal with that.

Also a NW2.

How long you been on the finasteride now then? Sides have subsided, but have you maintained your hair?

I've seriously never heard of a "2nd puberty" until I mentioned mine on this and another hair loss site. Now, I've had countless guys say they can relate. Crazy, huh.

J.Harrison

Reaction score
How long you been on the finasteride now then? Sides have subsided, but have you maintained your hair?

I'm approaching the three month mark, so I think it's still to early to make any calls. I can say, however, I don't think I've lost any hair, either.

My hair loss is so gradual though, I doubt I'd notice any change in 3 months, either on or off finasteride.

rudimentary

Established Member
Reaction score
Good luck on your treatment. You still have a healthy mane, hope you can keep it that way for long!

SuprisedGuy

Established Member
Reaction score
Welcome! We're about the same age and I'm also a grad student coincidentally. NW2 as well except I started balding in my late teens. Been on finasteride/rogaine for over three years now. The fact you've caught it relatively early and still have good hair means you'll at least maintain what you've got for several years and possibly longer.

Keep us updated.

Reaction score
Thanks for the support guys.

I haven't had a lick of sides yet. Hell, I think I'm even more randy than I was last week. That said, I think I might go from EOD 0.625 to everyday 0.625. Maybe I'll finish the week off and then switch to everyday.

I have started shedding like a crazy man lately though. I can't imagine 5 days on finasteride would prompt a big shed. Anyways, I went out Friday night and got pretty drunk (dehydrated). Came home, hit the gym, took a nap. When I woke up I was doing the "hair test" and was getting 3-5 hairs per pull. Obviously, this was alarming, but it won't affect my finasteride use.

Reaction score
So, quick update:

It's been 1 week since I started finasteride, and I'm currently on 0.625mg/day as previously mentioned.

Today I took the pill on an empty stomach and hurried to work with my mug of coffee. Between an empty stomach and considerable dehydration, my nuts were aching pretty noticeably. For those who have never had the ball ache, it feels just like getting blue balls - like someone is squeezing your nuts and prostate a little. I don't mean to make it sound too bad, but it was not ideal for being part of an important meeting as well as meeting a couple big deadlines.

Anyways, on the flip side: I haven't felt "the itch" since I popped the first pill. You know what I mean, the scalp itch that you feel and know is your hair follicles being inflamed and pushed out of your head for probably the final time (at least noticeably). So, I'm feeling pretty good about that - I think I should retain my hair and hopefully some that were just about to be done forever will bounce back.

Other than that there hasn't really been anything worth reporting. I'm still horny as a 17 year old and I popped a random boner at work today. Between this and the other forum I'm a member of, it sounds like most dudes in their twenties get the nut ache and then it subsides after a week. I'm not really troubled by it to be honest, but it's weird to finally be able to relate with all the posts I've read.

Well, off to the gym to throw down 4 miles on the treadmill and throw some free weights around. Just wanted to update for any one who cares.

Thanks.

Reaction score
1.5 month update

Wanted to provide a ~1.5 month update. Sides still totally subsided -- will now not acknowledge that facet, unless they should develop. Upped dosage to 0.833 mg yesterday.

Shedding profusely for the last week, or so. Hair shed are almost exclusively miniaturized completely or tapered towards the proximal end. From what I've read, this may be a good sign that the treatment is prompting hairs to make room for new, stronger strands. Seems legit, although I don't know that there is research to support that. I'll remain wishful thinking.

Thinning is absolutely noticeable now. [Pics attached]

Curious if anyone else experienced marked increase in shedding at 1 to 1.5 month mark, for what it's worth.

IMG_0113.jpgIMG_0114.jpgIMG_0115.JPGIMG_0116.JPGIMG_0117.JPG