New guy who's feeling confused.

popeye77

Reaction score
Hello All,
I'm a 52 year old man who in the 6 months has lost a tremendous amount of hair. Other than a small bald spot in the back, I was fortunate to have a good amount of hair throughout my life. I really sympathize with all you gentlemen who are so much younger and going through this. I have a son who is 25 and he is showing signs himself.

As I mentioned, this came on quite quickly. I'm not sure why...maybe stress or who knows what. My doctor started me on 5 MG of Finasteride 2 weeks ago. It's hard to say if it has helped, although I haven't noticed as much in the shower or on my pillow. He also told me to hit the rogaine foam. I've read good and bad about it...worried about the early shedding and not having it come back.

What's confusing to me is all the different treatments people are trying. I'm learning words that I never knew existed. Norwood stages, Nizoral, RU 58841, Dutasteride are all new to me. Has anyone experienced hair loss at this kind of rate? I'm debating if I should wait a month or two and see if the Finasteride brings hair back, or least stops the loss before I start the rogaine foam.
Whats also confusing is some of the treatments I've read by other posters. It is really as time consuming and costly as it seems? How much would I be spending if I did the RU 58841? etc...
Thank you for taking the time to read this, and thank you for the tips I've been reading.

Enclose are my pics. I will continue to post updates as I try any treatments.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender (10).jpg
    FullSizeRender (10).jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 286
  • FullSizeRender (11).jpg
    FullSizeRender (11).jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 219
  • FullSizeRender (12).jpg
    FullSizeRender (12).jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 232
  • FullSizeRender (13).jpg
    FullSizeRender (13).jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 231

prettydamnbald

Reaction score
Hi Popeye77,

I'd do the finasteride as your doctor has prescribed, and heed his advice on the minoxidil. My opinion is that you should not dabble around with the RU, dutasteride, etc. You'll see a lot of folks advocating climbing aboard any ray of hope that can be procured from an online overseas pharmacy, but I'd resist that urge. That's just me.

Since your loss is very recent, you have a pretty good shot at regrowth with the two things your doctor has prescribed. My best advice is to stick with it!

zzzzz

My Regimen
Reaction score
I think it is extremely unusual for sudden aggressive loss at your age, but there is no doubt that it is male pattern baldness and your doctor was right recommending finasteride and minoxidil. I would take the 5% liquid minoxidil. If you don't like how it effects your hair in the morning, you can take it only once daily at night and it will stll be effective.

Taking nizoral in conjunction with those two is a good decision as well, but you should only use nizoral twice a week. I wouldn't worry about alternative and experimental treatments, these 3 things are extremely effective.

Sounds like you don't know much about expectations after starting treatment the way you are reporting changes after 2 weeks. It takes months to see change on these drugs. The catagen stage of hair takes a few weeks, the telogen stage can take up to 4 months, and both these stages need to finish before any regrowth can be seen. Shedding is triggered weeks in advance, making it impossible to see results in only 2 weeks. Also, a temporary initial shed may be triggered from min + finasteride, but this is only a new life cycle beginning among a lot of hairs on your head

popeye77

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick replies. I'll be purchasing the nizoral and minoxidil tomorrow morning. It's going to be a long 4 months watching me shed a little more than usual, hopefully the anxiety will be worth it. Any special brands that are best for these products and can I typically buy them from Amazon? Kirkland, Rogaine? Wondering if the nizoral should be 2% and if that's available without a prescription. Thanks

Aesthetic

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick replies. I'll be purchasing the nizoral and minoxidil tomorrow morning. It's going to be a long 4 months watching me shed a little more than usual, hopefully the anxiety will be worth it. Any special brands that are best for these products and can I typically buy them from Amazon? Kirkland, Rogaine? Wondering if the nizoral should be 2% and if that's available without a prescription. Thanks

finasteride
Nizoral
minoxidil

thats all u can do brother, thats all WE can do

zzzzz

My Regimen
Reaction score
brand doesn't matter and nizoral is the least important part of the trio so using 1% instead wont make a difference really

shookwun

Reaction score
dude you need to buzz that off ASAP. it's way out of control.

Maintain with medication

Aesthetic

Established Member
Reaction score
dude you need to buzz that off ASAP. it's way out of control.

Maintain with medication
no hes 50, hes allowed to be thinned out like that

all he has to do is comb it over a little and dry it out, then hope on treatments to thicken it up

shookwun

Reaction score
no hes 50, hes allowed to be thinned out like that

all he has to do is comb it over a little and dry it out, then hope on treatments to thicken it up

Doesn't matter what his age is. Nothing reaks of insecurity like trying to hold onto a image that's already gone.

Buzz it, and it will look much more sharp, and clean in appearance.

Comb over looks stupid, and their isn't enough hair, and density for it to look presentable.

popeye77

Reaction score
Thanks for your help Aesthstic and zzzzz. I've got the Nizoral and minoxidil ordered. A little nervous on the expected loss with the beginning of the minoxidil, but I'll be positive.

Thor21

Reaction score
If i was 50 i wouldnt give a crap about my hair...it only bugs me when it happens through your 20s or 30s...

popeye77

Reaction score
Believe me, I sympathize with you younger kids dealing with male pattern baldness. My oldest son is starting to shed and we're both very concerned. When I was in my 20's and 30's I thought 50 was old too, but now that I'm in my 50's, I still feel young. You're right Thor, if I was younger I would be much more concerned. As prettydamnbald mentioned though, why not ask for a little help?

Aesthetic

Established Member
Reaction score
Believe me, I sympathize with you younger kids dealing with male pattern baldness. My oldest son is starting to shed and we're both very concerned. When I was in my 20's and 30's I thought 50 was old too, but now that I'm in my 50's, I still feel young. You're right Thor, if I was younger I would be much more concerned. As prettydamnbald mentioned though, why not ask for a little help?
do not fukin buzz it try some treatments first, u r allowed to be somewhat thinned, ur 50, its okay to be a little thin or receded at 50

popeye77

Reaction score
Update: It's been a little over 5 months since I've posted pics of my hair. These are 2 pics taken within the last week. My doctor originally recommended 5m Finasteride and Minoxidil. After weeks of indecisiveness, I decided to go with only the 5m finasteride...and Nizoral 2x a week. I'm not saying this helps, but I also shampoo and condition with Therapy-G (when not using Nizoral), and take Iron, Biotin, and E vitamins. Other than an unusual week, I really haven't had any side effects with the finasteride. During that week there was Nothing going on down there...I had no libido. I got desperate and bought some Extenze from walmart, a few hours later the blood was flowing and everything was great. No problems since. I do see the occasional hair in the shower, but not nearly like it was before.

FullSizeRender (10).jpgFullSizeRender (11).jpg

Hello All,
I'm a 52 year old man who in the 6 months has lost a tremendous amount of hair. Other than a small bald spot in the back, I was fortunate to have a good amount of hair throughout my life. I really sympathize with all you gentlemen who are so much younger and going through this. I have a son who is 25 and he is showing signs himself.

As I mentioned, this came on quite quickly. I'm not sure why...maybe stress or who knows what. My doctor started me on 5 MG of Finasteride 2 weeks ago. It's hard to say if it has helped, although I haven't noticed as much in the shower or on my pillow. He also told me to hit the rogaine foam. I've read good and bad about it...worried about the early shedding and not having it come back.

What's confusing to me is all the different treatments people are trying. I'm learning words that I never knew existed. Norwood stages, Nizoral, RU 58841, Dutasteride are all new to me. Has anyone experienced hair loss at this kind of rate? I'm debating if I should wait a month or two and see if the Finasteride brings hair back, or least stops the loss before I start the rogaine foam.
Whats also confusing is some of the treatments I've read by other posters. It is really as time consuming and costly as it seems? How much would I be spending if I did the RU 58841? etc...
Thank you for taking the time to read this, and thank you for the tips I've been reading.

Enclose are my pics. I will continue to post updates as I try any treatments.

coolfx35

Reaction score
I am having trouble with libido now that i am on Propecia again, I am 36, should I get Extenze?

Notcoolanymore

Reaction score
should I get Extenze?

Isn't Ron Jeremy the spokes person for that stuff? He knows what he's talking about when it comes to dix. I say go for it and let us know if it works.