New Here - 36 - Just Curious To See If I'm Thinning - PICS

John1313

Reaction score
Hey,

First of all, I'd like to introduce myself. I'm 36 years old and the other day my friend jokingly said I was thinning. I think it was due to my copious amounts of gel use. It tends to clump hair together. For the past 72 hours, I've been obsessing and not I'm much of a vain guy, but Google can create nightmares. I'm checking the shower for hair, tugging on my hair to see how many hairs I can yank out. My maternal grandfather is 92 and he still has a full head of hair. My paternal grandfather was receding until 75 and he was bald by 86 right before he passed away. I think I notice it somewhat on my temples. They seem to curve in, but I don't have any hair loss on my crown. Any constructive advice would be much appreciated.

IMG_0063.jpgIMG_0064.jpgIMG_0066.jpgIMG_0067.jpgIMG_0070.jpg
IMG_0057.jpg

badgenetics1

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Your hair looks great, especially for your age. I'd keep an eye on it (just in case) but I don't think you need any treatments right now.

John1313

Reaction score
Your hair looks great, especially for your age. I'd keep an eye on it (just in case) but I don't think you need any treatments right now.

Thanks. Do you still think I should consult with a dermatologist? I read most of the site last night, so now I understand some of the acronyms. I became concerned because at my hairline there's still hair, obviously, but where's there's no hair (temple area), I noticed that there's some hair where there's no hair.

talmoode

Experienced Member
Reaction score
hi you hair looks great to me! if really concerend, go and see a dermatologist for the peace of mind. but seriously, nothing to worry about there!! too much gel can create an illusion of thinning hair look!!

John1313

Reaction score
Thanks. Yeah, that's the plan. I'm going to go next week. It's amazing how easily freaked out I became when my buddy told me that. You start to obsess and see things that may not be there.

badgenetics1

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yeah seeing a dermatologist is a good idea. Worst case scenario, you caught it early and can prevent loss. Best case, you are totally fine and not balding.

TheShedder

Reaction score
I dunno man... Are you friends with Stevie Wonder? I don't know how anyone who isn't blind could think your hair is thinning... At least from the pics your hair looks incredibly thick... Even your hairline looks really good as well. But like they said if you're concerned see a dermatologist.

John1313

Reaction score
I went to the dermatologist on my lunch break. He told me I was in the beginning stages of receding, but if I didn't point it out, he wouldn't have noticed. He said I'd probably be Norwood 2 by the time I was 55-60. He did the hair pull test and thoroughly checked my scalp in a meticulous fashion. Whatever. He did tell me my options were Propecia and Rogaine. I'm definitely not taking Propecia. Is it worth it for me to start on Rogaine? He said it works and I that it may prevent further issues.

John1313

Reaction score
Looking good man! I would not be worrying if I were you..

Ever since the dermatologist told me I'm in the beginning stages of receding, I'm obsessing over it. This type of behavior clearly isn't healthy. A part of me says, **** it, if I really recede in X amount of years, I'll shave it commando style. However, a part of me still would like to keep my hair, whether it goes in 5, 10, 15 or 20 years. I feel like such a tool. I'm wondering if I should give Propecia a go as a preventive measure.

John1313

Reaction score
No you should see a doctor for your obsession, not your (non-existing) hairloss.

Dude, seriously, my girlfriend pointed it out to me. I went to the dermatologist; he told me if I didn't tell him, he wouldn't have noticed, but he did say I was starting to recede. I notice it if I look in the mirror. It's not noticeable, but I notice the difference, especially when I use gel or I pull my hair back. It's starting in the temple areas and at the hairline, plus I noticed some hairs in my drain and sink a few times.

talmoode

Experienced Member
Reaction score
hi I would wait and see another 3 - 6 months. take pictures every month to compare later on. cheers.

JaySizzle

Established Member
Reaction score
just because you are receding or have receded, it does not mean you will go bald. at your age, you are lucky to have a full head of hair for this long. monitor it after a few months and if it gets worse, then maybe go on finasteride or minoxidil. If I can maintain the hair I have now until I am 40, I will be happy, and would willingly accept buzzing my hair at that point. It is good I have buzzed my hair in the past and don't look like a freak lol.. But i do know what you mean by it being nice to have the option of diff hair styles.

headless

Established Member
Reaction score
He told you you were receding, or did he tell you you were balding? Two different things mate..
The first can just be a mature hairline, the other one is male pattern baldness.. and I think you're not suffering from male pattern baldness..

John1313

Reaction score
just because you are receding or have receded, it does not mean you will go bald. at your age, you are lucky to have a full head of hair for this long. monitor it after a few months and if it gets worse, then maybe go on finasteride or minoxidil. If I can maintain the hair I have now until I am 40, I will be happy, and would willingly accept buzzing my hair at that point. It is good I have buzzed my hair in the past and don't look like a freak lol.. But i do know what you mean by it being nice to have the option of diff hair styles.

I need to chill out, dude.

Ever since I went to the dermatologist, and he confirmed it, it's making me neurotic. I keep looking in the mirror, pulling on the top of my head, to see how many hairs will come out. I'm Googling medical conditions which can cause hair loss. I'm wondering if I should have a thyroid panel, etc.

Do you what the crazy part is? If one of my friend's would have told me this, I wouldn't give a ****. The fact my girlfriend said something is what's driving me up a wall.

- - - Updated - - -

He told you you were receding, or did he tell you you were balding? Two different things mate..
The first can just be a mature hairline, the other one is male pattern baldness.. and I think you're not suffering from male pattern baldness..

Well....he said a receding hairline is the beginning stages of male pattern baldness. All he did was spend out five minutes running his fingers through my and making sure there wasn't any inflammation or dermatitis. He also did a pull test. I asked him if I'd be bald in by 40 (I'm 36) and he laughed and said no way. Ever since this happened, I can notice it, at least I think I can.

- - - Updated - - -

hi I would wait and see another 3 - 6 months. take pictures every month to compare later on. cheers.

That's what I'll do, thanks for the advice. This wasn't even on my radar until two weeks ago. I need to stop being so damn neurotic. I'm not a neurotic person, but this threw me for a loop.