New here, freaking out a bit, wondering why type of balding this is

LukeJ

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am 29 and have been shedding slowly for about a year until the past few weeks where it has just been shedding like crazy. No one in my family has hair loss and I am freaked out by it. I am overwhelmed by the number of options out there for hair loss and would like if someone could help identify which type of hair loss pattern it is on this chart: http://www.americanhairloss.org/men_hair_loss/the_norwood_scale.asp

I have tired over the last year Nioxin and Regenepure shampoos with little impact. Rogain says it works best on people who start loosing hair in the back of the head which I am not sure really applies to me. I have other health issues so going to prescription drugs is probably off the table as I get tons of side effects.

1-wet_combed_top.jpg2-wet_top.jpg3-wet_combed_side.jpg4-wet_combed_back.jpg5-dry-top.jpg6-front.jpg7-after_two_showers.jpg

Thanks for any help!

talmoode

Experienced Member
Reaction score
hi, looks like diffuse hair loss but then again, you said that you were having some other health issues but can't tell you for sure if its male pattern baldness or not. Do you have any family history of hair loss at all? Have you talked to your doctor about it? what did they say?

Abercrombie

Reaction score
Nothing about your case is unusual, it's the usual male pattern baldness kicking in. Do not waste time by checking for iron deficiency or whatever, get on finasteride (proscar,propecia) and minoxidil (rogaine) and try to reverse or halt the process.

LukeJ

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies!

I have no family history of hairloss on my father side, just found out there is on my mother side. I really don't think I can go on any oral medications like dutasteride or finasteride, I have a lot of sensitivity to medications. I did check all the usual stuff like iron levels, testosterone, thyroid, etc, that all is normal.

Has anyone had any luck with biotin or LLLT? Where do people buy Nizoral from (brand name, tried Regenepure did not seem to do much)? Can you combine Nizoral and Rogaine?

talmoode

Experienced Member
Reaction score
You can get a Nizoral shampoo and Rogaine from any drug stores. Rogaine is a bit expensive and there are more cheaper options on ebay/online (e.g., kirkland minoxidil). Personally I use Rogaine foam as it dries faster and doesn't feel greasy on my scalp. If you don't want to take any oral medication, your best bet would be Minoxdil and Nizoral shampoo. Minoxidil twice a day after washing your hair and Nizoral twice a week. Also taking multi vitamins won't hurt. Good luck, mate!

RapidRetreat

Reaction score
Hey fellow diffuse losser ;) I am using nizoral twice a week and I also use a laser helmet three times a week for 20 minutes from OMG, I have no idea if the LLLT has helped or not as I am also on finasteride and dutasteride occasionally. If you cant take meds it is hard to tell if anything will work for you as minoxidil may not be strong enough to stop what looks like very aggressive diffuse loss I'm sorry to say, I have shed all over my head like you and am on drugs like finasteride and dutasteride (although Im not sure whether they have made my hairloss speed up) there are plenty of home remedies and double your density things out there as for whether or not they work, we would all love to know. I'm sorry I wasn't much help but I wish you luck