New here....

Daniel86ire

Reaction score
I just found this forum tonight and I have to say I'm impressed by all the info it has to offer so I thought I'd make an account and share my story :)

I'm 26 years old(27 next month) I've had a receding hairline since I was about 19, it's receded about an inch(maybe a little less) over the 7/8 years but it was never something that really bothered me as the rest of my hair was very thick and seemed healthy.

Around January/February this year while I was getting my hair cut I was told "you're going a little thin on top" again it wasn't THAT bad and I just put it down to the stress I was under from breaking up with my long-term girlfriend.

I decided to just do a little research and see what I could do about it but within my budget, almost straight away I ruled out a hair transplant which was way too expensive.
I found out about Bioxsine shampoo and after doing abit of reading about it I thought I'd give it a try.
It says after 8 months or so I should start seeing some results but if I'm being totally honest I don't think it's working although it does help with the itchy scalp but that seems to be about it.

Now I've noticed I can start to see my scalp around the crown area and when I wash my hair it's VERY noticeable, this is hard to explain but when my hair is wet there is also like three thinning lines on the top of my head(one in the middle and one on both the left and right side). Around the sides and back of my head it seems to be all normal so I'm guessing I have the male pattern baldness?

I'll be honest now I've started to notice it more I've become very self concious about it especially if I'm sitting down and there are people standing around me. So I feel now I have to start really doing something about it before it gets so bad that I can't do anything about it.

After reading the info on here I'll be getting the Nizoral shampoo straight away and ditching my Bioxsine. I think I'll also be getting the Rogaine foam and seeing how I get on with that but I'm a little worried about my hair shedding and not growing back from using it.

I was looking into Finasteride but again I'd be worried about the side effects(loss of sex drive etc) although if using it stopped my hair loss I'd be willing to give it a go aslong as there wasn't any long term effects.
I haven't been to see the doctor about it yet so I'll be doing that soon but I have a feeling he'll just tell me what I already know and advice me to use Rogaine. I'm not sure Finasteride is even available in Ireland so I don't think I can get it unless I order online.

I'm wondering has anyone has decent/good success from just using Nizoral and Rogaine? Would using Finasteride with one or both of those be recommended?

I'll post up a couple of pics soon just to give you guys a look at what's going on with my hair

EDIT:Also just to add when I run my fingers through my hair I notice alot of loose hairs between my fingers which as far as I can remember never happened before(or at least as much). Washing my hair with the Bioxsine seems to stop it but only for maybe a day and then starts again.

Daniel86ire

Reaction score
Here are a couple of pictures, one with dry hair and two with wet hair. I know they are not the best but hopefully to give you guys an idea of my problem. Any thoughts or advice would be a great help

HAIR.jpgHAIR1.jpgHAIR2.jpg

talmoode

Experienced Member
Reaction score
You can always try Nizoral shampoo and Minoxidil (Rogain) first and they are working like a charm for some people. If you think they don't do much, then you can jump on finasteride any time (I am pretty sure that propecia is available in Ireland. But you need a prescription!). One thing that I found interesting about Minoxidil and propecia...this is from http://www.hairlosstalk.com/interac...sn-t-finasteride-save-minoxidil-induced-hairs and I copy-pasted here.

"Minoxidil and Proscar/Finasteride work in two completely separate ways. Minoxidil doesn't block DHT, it simply increases the blood flow to your hair follicles (I believe it was originally used as a type of heart medication when it was discovered that it could also help in growing back/keeping hair). Where as Proscar/Finasteride, which was originally used as prostate medication, actually blocks DHT.

From my understanding, some cases of baldness are simply about the hair follicles not getting a sufficient amount of blood... so increasing the blood flow to the hair follicles is what's needed in those situations (which is why some people have good results with simply using minoxidil). However in most cases baldness is a DHT issue (or possibly a combination of both).

It could be that your situation is a little bit from column A and a little bit from column B. So while the finasteride is blocking the DHT, your follicles still might not be getting enough blood flow without help from the Minoxidil. So either way, increased blood flow to the hair follicles is always a good thing."

Daniel86ire

Reaction score
Thanks for getting back to me. Yeah I'm going to try Nizoral and Rogain and see how that goes hopefully there'll be some improvement.

I've got a question I'm curious about and I can't seem to see anything about it on here(unless I've missed it?) so maybe you could answer it for me.......does masturbation or having sex increase hairloss?

Baldie101

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks for getting back to me. Yeah I'm going to try Nizoral and Rogain and see how that goes hopefully there'll be some improvement.

I've got a question I'm curious about and I can't seem to see anything about it on here(unless I've missed it?) so maybe you could answer it for me.......does masturbation or having sex increase hairloss?

lololololol well I wanna answer it! :smoke:

Scientific: No.
Me: Maybe.

I got mixed feelings with this one because when I have sex or masturbate a few times a day it affect my body so my head goes shiny (excess sebum) and I lose hair the next day. I've seen this pattern for years but been in denial that having too much sex or shaking my hand too much would affect my hair. These days I cut back on it...taking it slowly. Still while I say that I do not believe that to be possible because I'm science guy. Well....that's my two cent.

If you ask the scientists then you don't lose hair because you masturbate since you aren't losing anything "important" when you sperm out which should cause hair loss.

Daniel86ire

Reaction score
Well that's why I asked because whenever I have sex or masturbate I notice my hair gets very greasy and if I run my hand through it more hair than normal will come out.

Haha at least I know it happens to other people too and I wasn't imagining it!!

Daniel86ire

Reaction score
I was a little busy over the last few weeks and only managed to get to the doctors today about my hair loss.......WHAT A WASTE OF TIME!!!

He told me everything I already knew and didn't give me much advice other than using Rogaine or finasteride would be very expensive and once I stop using them all the hair I gain will fall out with a vengeance . The best bit came when he told the only thing I should do was accept it and let nature run its course haha this coming from a doctor with a full head of fairly long hair!

I've been using Nizoral for the last few weeks and I have noticed my hair isn't coming out as much as before but the doctor reckoned that was because my hair growth cycle might have stopped for the time being.

I'm wondering other than a GP and hair loss companies is there anyone else worth visiting to see if they can help or am I right in thinking they'll just tell me what I already know?