New Member, Old Question? PICS ADDED

professorx

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Really quickly I'm 24, noticed my hair starting to be a little less full all around the top of my head, and receding hairline. I'm asian, so when I have my hair short it all sticks out like a spiky porcupine - the way I noticed my hair loss initially was that my hair wasn't sticking up on the top anymore as much (which I realized was probably because it didn't have as much "supporting" from its neighbors as it used to). Then after closer examination I realized I was losing my hair, and have honestly been oscillating so much between the freaking-out-because-I-hope-I-can-stop-the-hairloss-attitude to the I-don't-really-care-and-I'll-just-shave-my-head-anyway attitude.

I've been reading this site for a bit and it has been really helpful so far. I don't have any pics yet but will post some at some point to give an idea what I'm talking about. After consulting with my PCP I have been on propecia for 3 months, and have had no side effects, and have seen no improvement (i.e. slowing/stopping of shedding) yet. I also purchased minoxidil and Nizoral but have not started using either, because I wanted to do the treatments in stages to see if they helped/hurt my state, and to be able to control them more effectively. Obviously time is of the essence, so I'd like to get your guys' advice, and any help would be awesome.

My questions are:
1. Is it too soon to expect the finasteride to be showing results? I'm happy that I haven't had side effects, but want to know if anyone has had similar waiting periods.
2. I am planning on buzzing my hair as short as I used to in the past. If I start using minoxidil with shorter hair, will that affect its efficacy negatively? Will I have better results if I apply the minoxidil and nizoral with longer hair? Have any members who haven't completely lost all their hair tried to use my treatments on a completely shaved, slick bald head, and if so, did this help or hurt their results?

I obviously am fearing the initial dreaded shedding phase that many experience on minoxidil. Will shaving my head make the shedding more obvious? Should I go for the baldy if that happens?

Thanks
PFX

professorx

Reaction score
Re: New Member, Old Question?

Btw I also have been dealing with acne, and have been treating it with Retin-A. Will this help or hurt my treatment, and if so, in what way? If it helps, I started noticing my thinning hair about 1.5 to 2 years ago.

I've added my current pics below. If after 4-6 months I'm not seeing much slowing down of shedding, I will probably start with the minoxidil and Nizoral.

Attachments

• CIMG1558.jpg
    CIMG1558.jpg
    218.8 KB · Views: 1,682
  • CIMG1560.jpg
    CIMG1560.jpg
    217.6 KB · Views: 1,702
  • CIMG1561.jpg
    CIMG1561.jpg
    249.2 KB · Views: 1,700

professorx

Reaction score
More pics

Attachments

• CIMG1562.jpg
    CIMG1562.jpg
    213 KB · Views: 1,677
  • CIMG1563.jpg
    CIMG1563.jpg
    200.3 KB · Views: 1,653
  • CIMG1564.jpg
    CIMG1564.jpg
    202.2 KB · Views: 1,667

Sean68

Reaction score
if anything shorter hair will make it easier to apply but as long as its getting to your scalp it doesnt matter at all no.

only super quick responders see anything within three months. it happens but its very rare you need at least six to evaluate it often longer.

shedding is just part of the 'fun' im afraid. not everyone experiences it by a long way and
i doubt it will be noticeable to anyone except you. its not like all your hair falls out! it shouldnt affect the way you style your hair.

good luck mate.

ITNEVERRAINS

Established Member
Reaction score
The other good thing is that drugs like minoxidil and finasteride always seem to work better on guys with dark hair like yourself. You will unfortunately have to go at least 6-9 months before you see results, and shedding is common although not definite. Good luck.

professorx

Reaction score
Thanks a lot for your comments, guys, I really appreciate them. Any word on the Retin-A?

How often should I take pics? Once a month?

I'm probably going to be buzzing my hair soon, as I'm going on a trip that will "require" me being in the water/beach a lot, and I don't want to have to worry about what my wet hair looks like. Do you think these first set of comparison photos will become null and void since I will be comparing them to relatively shorter hair, or can we still glean information from them?

Thanks again. This site is really helping me deal with some anxiety about hair loss, and helping me get on track with my life.

Btw I'm reminded of this great routine by a bald comedian a while back (whose name I can't remember) saying that he and his fellow bald men were born in the wrong time, and that if they were in feudal Japan, they'd be treated like movie stars with hair naturally set up to make the perfect top knot. Food for thought and good luck with everything guys!

tgates209

Established Member
Reaction score
ITNEVERRAINS said:
The other good thing is that drugs like minoxidil and finasteride always seem to work better on guys with dark hair like yourself.
Is that true? How so? I have dark hair so I'm curious...

ITNEVERRAINS

Established Member
Reaction score
Just from success stories I've personally seen, the best ones are typically darker haired guys. Retin-A has nothing to do with hairloss, in fact some people mix it w/ minoxidil to get through the skin/absorb into scalp better.

ITNEVERRAINS

Established Member
Reaction score
also prof x, by the time your 30 HM (hair multiplication) will probably be available, start saving your cash now just in case

tgates209

Established Member
Reaction score
ITNEVERRAINS said:
Just from success stories I've personally seen, the best ones are typically darker haired guys. Retin-A has nothing to do with hairloss, in fact some people mix it w/ minoxidil to get through the skin/absorb into scalp better.
It might just seem like that because more people have dark/darker hair as it is a dominant gene...? It would be really great if that were true!!

mj9

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
professorx said:
the way I noticed my hair loss initially was that my hair wasn't sticking up on the top anymore as much (which I realized was probably because it didn't have as much "supporting" from its neighbors as it used to).
PFX

I can relate to this... i stupidly ignored it and changed my hairstyle until i couldnt have any decent hairstyle....

get on to big 3 or you will probably regret it....

G

mj9 i see your on finasteride 0.5mg every day.Did you use less because of side effects? How is it going for you?

mj9

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Davidoff said:
mj9 i see your on finasteride 0.5mg every day.Did you use less because of side effects? How is it going for you?

not really... i had all the side effects initially but they dissappeared after 3 weeks...

anyway i decrease the dose 0.5mg because there is research that 0.5mg is just as effective as 1mg of finasteride!!! this works in my favor cause i m skint and i save money and also seems to reduce side effects.......

see post below for more info

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=45739