New shed for every new area of minoxidil application?

WonderLad

Reaction score
So, I've been using minoxidil steadily for around a year now. I started off with a huge shed, as is seemingly the norm, but ended up sprouting significant new hairs around the five month mark. During this period of time my applications were concentrated on the crown and temple areas, and I pretty much neglected the rest of the head. Recently I have begun noticing some thinning on the sides of the head and the middle hairline areas and started applying foam in earnest to this portions of the scalp. My question is - when you start applying minoxidil to different portions of the head, can you expect sheds from those areas as though you had JUST started the medication or do you essentially only experience that introductory shed once, regardless of how much or how little of the scalp you cover?

hoople

Reaction score
Good question. I'd guess that more shedding would occur but probably not as much as when you first introduced minoxidil to the scalp. I say this as some of the minoxidil would have reached the areas you weren't applying to, thus leading to some shedding. However, wapping on a full dose of minoxidil to a new area is bound to result in some shedding, but not as much as if you'd never used it at all on the scalp.
Thats just my guess.

stampede

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I would expect so. From what I've read, a shed happens because the follicle has widened, to allow thicker hair to grow. The thinner hair that's already there isn't held in properly.

klink

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Yup, I started using foam on the sides and had a shed on the sides two months later.