New sport: Sky diving without a parachute!

CCS

Reaction score
Just thought this up last night.

Been reading about world record of how high some people fell and lived. I think the record is 19,000 feet. Some of them landed on grassy fields with broken bones. What got to me is I know it does not matter how high you fall from: there is something called terminal velocity. Once you are higher than about 400 feet, all that matters is how you land and where you land and your body, not how much higher than 400 feet you fell from.

Terminal velocity is about 120mph for a person without a parachute, if you go belly first and spread your arms. Head first will get you to 300mph, or 600mph if you start higher up. Obviously a sport should be safe though, so here is how you do it:

Did you know if you fire a high riffle into water, after about 4 feet of water it can't pierce your skin? They used a 50-cal on myth busters, and the bigger bullets actually slowed down sooner. Entering velocity had little to do with how far the bullet went. Size mattered more. Water has an interesting impact property at high speeds.

Did you know if you jump from high up (10 meters), and land in water on your back, you will sink about 1 foot? It won't kill you, but will give you some bad injuries, and need hospitalization maybe. If you dive head first into water from 10 meters, and go straight, you will stop after at most 5 meters. But most high divers curve under water and rarely go below 2.5 meters.

The world record for high diving, which dis done head first (hands first actually) is 182 feet. The dive tank is 25 meters deep, though I don't know if they need it or if it just so they don't get sued. Trying to find out how deep they sink, and if they curl. From that height, they reach greater than 50% of terminal velocity. Probably going 65 or 70mph.

When you are ski diving, you can do flips and such very easily. You can angle your body how you want. If you see a body of water down there, you can angle your body so the air sends you towards it. Not sure what fall/drift ratio you can get, but I think 30 degrees might be possible.

Once you are above the water, you slow to 120mph by fanning your arms and legs out. You use fine adjustment to aim for a deep part. As you get really close, you flip a bit so you are going down feet first. Do not do this too early though, or you will accelerate to 300mph. Do not do it too late either. You must hold off, and then turn just in time, and go in perfectly vertically so your belly, chin, or back do not hit the water.

OK, so maybe 130mph feet first vs 70mph hands first. Sound doable? Well make sure your feet are just in front of you a bit when you land. Because as soon as you enter the water, you want your feet to go out in front of you more and make you curl and swoop under water so you don't go as deep. Even if you do go straight down, I'm sure the bullet effect would slow you down a lot.

So we know the water must be at least 2.5 meters deep. Probably deeper actually. But how much deeper? 2.5 meters is about 8 feet. Maybe aim for 20 foot deep water? Or do it over the ocean, but have markers on the water and you get points for getting close to the bulls eye.

CCS

Reaction score
But I got a better idea:

Wear some thermal underwhere, and climb into a zip up air tight body bag that has sleeves for your arms and legs. Wear an altimeter too. The body bag needs some type of gold plating or something to protect you from gama rays, but still be see through.

Then you and your camera crew (who have parachutes inside their body bags) climb into the air lock of the space station, and are set free. Make sure it is one over the equater so you are just falling down, and not doing 25,000mph around the earth.

You fall through the upper atmosphere, and your bag keeps you presurized. As air pressure increases, you are able to aim for your target. Your target is a netted off area of ocean water near the equater. They used nets to clear a path so you don't land on a dolphin.

You unzip it just a tiny bit so you can depressurize to the pressure of 7,000 feet. When your altimeter tells you that you are low enough to breath air at 12,000 feet or so, you unzip it a bit more.

Your camera crew is now falling 10 feet away from you, with their unopened parachutes. News crews below have you on super zoom as you sail in towards your target, getting above it at 1000 feet, and spreading your arms and legs to slow to 120mph.

That is when you make your dive as in the above post.

The question is, would the thick air of the lower atmosphere slow you down to 120mph in time, since you would have been falling from a much higher altitude and maybe reached 1000mph at some point?

Discuss.

CCS

Reaction score
If the worse you'd get is bruised feet and bruised butt if you take proper care to land vertically, would you do this? How much would you pay to be the first to do it?

2x the speed means 4x the energy. But my feet should be able to handle 4x what my arms can. Still I'd be worried about my feet being bent up towards my shins to hard, hurting my ancles.

Boondock

Reaction score
If you were being filmed doing this, would you go with a frontal hair system or just apply concealer? I'd be worried that magnetic pole interference when entering the upper atmosphere could affect the binding of toppik to my hair, and leave at least a NW2.5 visible to the camera crew on the day.

mykal_P

Established Member
Reaction score
I've always said aim for a tree. It's not a blunt surface near the canopy and might act like those boxes some stunt guys jump into.

s.a.f

Reaction score
Boondock said:
If you were being filmed doing this, would you go with a frontal hair system or just apply concealer? I'd be worried that magnetic pole interference when entering the upper atmosphere could affect the binding of toppik to my hair, and leave at least a NW2.5 visible to the camera crew on the day.

Cheers for that I just spat cornflakes all over my keyboard.

CCS

Reaction score
My brother just told me a geosynchrink (sp?) orbit is 35,000 km up. That means if you would be accelerating at 32 feet per second per second for a long time before the atmosphere could slow you down. Better to start at 12,000 feet.

Thing about water is, the faster you hit it, the more it acts like a solid. 120mph might be too fast.

If no snow, your best bet is a crop or a grassy park. What if you land and are too busted up to move much, your cell phone is busted up, and it is a race between the cayotees and the ants?

I'd take deep water though because drowning is better than a slow dealth. Though if you land in water, you cell phone will not work. You may float to the surface and die there.