New To Balding: At Which Norwood Stage Am I?

Tito Olva

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi there,

I'm a 36yo guy whose hair started to thin about two years ago, maybe it had started before but I didn't notice. I realized that the process of thinning started to speed up in the last 10/12 months but I didn't worry about it, because I usually sport my hair a bit long and it wasn't noticeable. Nevertheless, last week I had my hair cut and I was completely shocked when I saw that I'm nearly bald.

At which stage of balding am I? How long do you think it will take me to become completely bald and start shaving on shampoo? Do you recommend me to start shaving?

I'm not actually worried about my hair, just shocked about the look, as I went from being the long hair guy to the balding guy overnight.

Did anyone of you realize you were seriously balding overnight, just like me?

Attachments

• baldie.png
    baldie.png
    169.9 KB · Views: 863

Tito Olva

My Regimen
Reaction score
When I mean overnight, I don't mean that I lost my hair overnight, but that I realized it overnight.

JeanLucBB

My Regimen
Reaction score
Looks like diffuse Norwood 2. It's hard to tell how long it might take for it to go completely slick bald. I'll be honest that is pretty far along for you to just now be realizing it. You said you had it long before? I find it hard to believe that that amount of thinness could be hidden even by long hair but I guess you might have been subconsciously combing it over.

Diffuse norwood 2? Try a certified norwood 5.

N003

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I would say NW5...

Can't believe that this happen in 10/12 months...

male pattern baldness is a slow process.....
This is the brutal thing about this disease

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
Hi there,

I'm a 36yo guy whose hair started to thin about two years ago, maybe it had started before but I didn't notice. I realized that the process of thinning started to speed up in the last 10/12 months but I didn't worry about it, because I usually sport my hair a bit long and it wasn't noticeable. Nevertheless, last week I had my hair cut and I was completely shocked when I saw that I'm nearly bald.

At which stage of balding am I? How long do you think it will take me to become completely bald and start shaving on shampoo? Do you recommend me to start shaving?

I'm not actually worried about my hair, just shocked about the look, as I went from being the long hair guy to the balding guy overnight.

Did anyone of you realize you were seriously balding overnight, just like me?
You have any photos from 2 years ago or longer? Just wondering because you have some aggressive loss now.

spring15

My Regimen
Reaction score
I would say NW5...

Can't believe that this happen in 10/12 months...

male pattern baldness is a slow process.....
This is the brutal thing about this disease

Lol the slow process is what makes it somewhat easier to bare. Imagine if we all went from NW1 to NW7 overnight, that would be absolutely devastating.

Illusions

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Looks like diffuse Norwood 2. It's hard to tell how long it might take for it to go completely slick bald. I'll be honest that is pretty far along for you to just now be realizing it. You said you had it long before? I find it hard to believe that that amount of thinness could be hidden even by long hair but I guess you might have been subconsciously combing it over.
Diffused NW2?? That's a diffused NW6 or NW7

Tito Olva

My Regimen
Reaction score
Well, this is me 2 years ago...

It had started thinning a bit but not as it is today.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1498476007616.jpg
    FB_IMG_1498476007616.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 509

zarazakka

My Regimen
Reaction score
I just a posted a pic of me 2 years ago.

When you don't care and aren't paying attention it's easy to miss how bad your hair is getting. Same happened to me, and I'd even used hair loss treatments before in my early 20's - mid 20's I stopped, it progressed fairly slowly but then over the past 2 years I'd say it went rapidly, all the while I barely noticed.

They say you can lose 50% of your hair before you notice it's going. It's the same if you look at your hair one day, notice its thinning and then accept it as baseline, and move on. It'll take another 50% until you notice that it's gotten way worse again. Even though that 50% might take you from acceptable hair to pretty much bald!

In the pic 2 years ago you were definitely thinning, it would probably look very thin from a similar angle to your latest photo, especially at the front.

You should definitely buzz your hair, if only to go back to not caring about it again. It will also make it really easy for you should you decide to go on treatments. From your current rate of loss you'll be slick bald in 2 to 3 years I would say - all the same, if you've gone this long without caring, maybe treatments aren't for you?

Tito Olva

My Regimen
Reaction score
Well, I think treatments are not for me. I'll go for the buzz or complete shave, but not right now as I still need to get used to see myself as a balding guy. I don't think it'll take long as I'll be joining some of my friends and as this is something I could expect having a thinning dad, a bald uncle and a bald grandpa.

MR. Incredible

My Regimen
Reaction score
That's what I'll do!

I do actually sport a beard at the moment, what means I'm half way to my new me.

Bro you are on the right track. I also envy the grey hair and black "Salt & Pepper" look you got going there with your beard. It's also very nicely dense. The only thing left for you to do is grow it out a bit more, groom it, shave your head, and buy some classy-*** clothes (nice sweaters, button-ups, maybe even a leather jacket), and the ladies will be all over you. Based on the pics I saw of you, you have an ideal head and face shape to pull off the classy-man bald look. You better feel grateful!

Tito Olva

My Regimen
Reaction score
Bro you are on the right track. I also envy the grey hair and black "Salt & Pepper" look you got going there with your beard. It's also very nicely dense. The only thing left for you to do is grow it out a bit more, groom it, shave your head, and buy some classy-*** clothes (nice sweaters, button-ups, maybe even a leather jacket), and the ladies will be all over you. Based on the pics I saw of you, you have an ideal head and face shape to pull off the classy-man bald look. You better feel grateful!
Thanks MR Incredible!

Tito Olva

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks MR Incredible. Let's see if things go as you expect... I hope so. I'm eager to see my new me...

MR. Incredible

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks MR Incredible. Let's see if things go as you expect... I hope so. I'm eager to see my new me...

No need to thank me, I'm just pointing out facts. And if you can, post pictures of the results once the transformation is complete. I'm eager to see how you'll look!