New to the forum

ealvarado

Reaction score
Hello everyone
I've been reading post for a week or so.
Ill try to post some pictures soon but for now

Im 27 and have noticed hair thinning for about 8 years. I'm not bald and and have still have a good set of hair. I use to have long hair but because of my thinning I cant grow it long anymore. I know I'll never be able to reach a full set a hair to grow my hair long which I have accepted but dont want to lose anymore and would like to have more density. What I am starting to notice is obvious loss in the back of my hair and frontal hair is getting thinner .
For the past 3/4 years I have been taking propecia off and on. I would take it for 3/4 months then stop for a month or so then restart again. I think that is why I have been able to maintain a good amount. I started taking rogaine Last november but only apply once a day in the night time because it makes the back of my hair look thinner because it keeps it wet.
Here are my questions

1.I apply generic rogaine liquid form in the night, can I buy foam and apply that in the morning as well, I've read it dries alot quicker.
2. Is generic rogaine just as good as original. I believe I bought the 5% minoxidil. If it isnt I dont mind paying extra for something that will work better.
3. I only apply generic rogaine on back of head because it only specifies that testing was only done for that area. If I apply to entire top and front area will it work or has anyone really experienced some benefit.
4. If I only apply once a day is there still some benefit?
5. I started applying nizoral shampoo 1%. Is there anything else that i can take that will help. What about 2%?
6. Has anyone experienced shedding that did not grow back?

Like I said I am not bald and still have a good amount but it is slowly thinning and want to do anything I can to avoid any more.
I have read up on some future procedures were they might be able to transplant hair and not have to get from donor area in back but by cloning some of your own hair. I'm hoping I can maintain what I have and when if it does happen I will be able to make hair alot fuller. I just dont like the idea of the procedures that they use now and have to cut a big chunk of my scalp and leaving a big scar, so I want to avoid that.

What other tips can I use to improve my chances? Other medicine etc
Any help is appreciated
Thanks

treeshrew

Experienced Member
Reaction score
it would really help if you posted some pics, but here are my answers:

1.Some people use foam in the morning and liquid at night, or vice versa. I'd suggest just sticking with what you're doing now unless you feel like it's not working.

2. Not sure - other people might be able to advise - I'm going with all namebrand meds, just to be sure, probably I'm over cautious though.

3. Word on the street is that since they did not test rogaine on the hairline they cannot claim it works on the hairline, but in fact it still does for lots of people. Lots of people have also claimed it destroyed their hairline. My opinion is it's worth a try.

4. Huge benefit - especially if you're using 5% - I only apply at night too.

5. 1% should be fine - I personally don't use nizoral - never understood the correlation between an anti-fungal shampoo and male pattern baldness (unless of course you have a scalp condition) - but many people claim it helps.

6. Definitely. But in general sheds mean you are responding to the meds and that's a good thing - if it doen't grow back, heck, at least you tried and you would have lost it anyway.

Also, it sounds like the cosmetic effect of liquid is giving you trouble - might be a reason to try switching to foam which actually has a thickening effect.