New topical immunosuppressant now in clinical trials

michael barry

Reaction score

Posted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 3:50 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://clinicaltrials.gov/show/NCT00197379

New trial with a topical immunosuppressant based on a Japanese study.

" Roxithromycin has not only antibacterial action but also immunomodulatory and anti-inflamatory potency. For example, roxitromycin inhibits T cell responces to mitogens and production of cytokines, IL-2 and IL-5. We firstly found that roxitromycin increased human and murine hair elongation in vitro to inhibit apoptosis of hair bulb"

In early tests on men, 4 regrew a good bit of hair..........4 grew back some hair, 3 had no change. Its going to testing. It helps stop cell death in test tube experiements with hair and speed growth in test tubes also.

If it really can stop T-cells from directing an immuno attack, adding this product to something like a copper peptide that tries to remodel skin would be synergistic. This could really be a big step forward in topicals treatment, especially if one uses alpha five inhibitors and/or anti-androgenic topicals

htownballa

Established Member
Reaction score
This method seems a bit weird in treating hairloss. You would think the side effects would be too much unless they figure out how to suppress ONLY the immune activity against scalp hair.

Thanks for the link.

beaner

Reaction score
I believe they are already selling this at Lipoxidil.

jimmystanley

Experienced Member
Reaction score
i was using elidel for a while to treat my seb derm which is also an immunosupressant...it was a very strange experience. I became i'll for a bit and you can't go out in the sun.

iamnaked

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Just hope you don't get any funky bacteria or a cancer on your head then... :freaked2:

michael barry

Reaction score
Roxythromicyn is an anti-fungal and anti bacterial as well as an immunomodulator.

The reason why Im intrigued about this is how it specifically might work. Immuno maker cells travel throughout the body looking for foreign bodies or things that "look foreign". When male hormone is transcripted by androgen receptors in hair follicles, the dermal papilla's release growth inhibitors to the rest of the follicle. Some of us believe that these growth inhibitors presence might be what the immuno-marker cells begin to direct an attack against (and they damage not only the hair, but the skin around the follicle and the follicles microcapillaries). T-Cells from the immune system show up and respond to the marker cells. The T-cells attack and and direct the attack of killer cells that might show up later against the follicle.

If you get castrated, and male hormone stops getting transcripted, the attack stops, but lost hair is too damaged to come back to life. But stopping androgenic transcription is about impossible realistically. After baldness really starts, apparently just testosterone sees some growth inhibitors get released (although not NEARLY as much as DHT does). If we could get the T-cells not to attack, things like copper peptides might really stand a chance in remodelling the skin and converting vellus hairs back to terminal status..................or at least intermediate hairs back to terminal status for keeps.

My concern is that one would need to use a good cleansing shampoo like ketoconazale and mind any cuts or scrapes on their heads because without the immune system being very active on your scalp..............a small cut could become quite infected. None of the 11 men tested with topical Roxythromicyn had side effects, but a test group that small isn't big enough to really validate something like that. If someone using it got a bump on the head, they may be well advised to not use it for two or three weeks as a precautionary measure.

All this being said.......................I wish those hair multiplication trials would start soon so none of us have to worry about this stuff anymore. Sick of thinkin' about hair. After cloning, I'll just use some American Crew to keep my hair looking young and forget about it.

michael barry

Reaction score
What in the world would an eczema medication like elidel have to do with an immunosuppressant like roxythromicyn's topical usage? apples and oranges

CCS

Reaction score
how long does this stuff work for after a dose, and would someone with short hair be able to see any problems and stop if they occure? Do they know if stuff works just locally? Can the stuff be bought cheaply at http://www.unitedpharmacies.com, under a different name and in pill form, maybe, and be extracted to a topical?

jimstanly, when i see posts like yours, i aways must say that just using one treatment is not going to work. You have to hit this problem from many angles unless you just want to maintain and are not one of the more sensitive guys. 17% of men did not even maintain their hair in the back, the best responding area with propecia, and that was probably at the one year mark. I'm sure the number grew by 5 years, but they won't report that. They just show average hair counts. I think at least 20% did not lose much hair after the two year mark, and others lost twice as much, averaging to that line.

michael barry

Reaction score
College chemisty student.

Its been pointed out to me by many that the roxythromicyn pills are MUCH cheaper than what lipoxidil sells as a topical (no suprise, I hate that site). If there was a way to crush the pills and put them in deionized water with a bit of alchohol and for them to still do the trick................I'd be interested. But Im afraid I only had a couple of chemistry classes and that was 15 years ago. Ive forgotten about all I thought I knew about that stuff. If the trials go well, Im sure someone online will be able to tell us how its done.

powersam

Reaction score
i remember reading a few studies about topical antihistamines a while back. the study participants usually developed abscesses wherever the topical was used. i wonder if this would have the same side effect?

goata007

Established Member
Reaction score
Whats the latest on this drug??? Clinicaltrials.gov says that the trials should have completed in Jan 2007?