New York Times today...

smudge

Established Member
Reaction score
There was an article of the front page of the NYT today about a baby that had been diagnosed with Niemann Pick disease type A. They showed a photo of the baby, and the baby had hair all over her face. In the caption, it said it was a side affect of the drug. Anyone know anything about the drug?

Here is the article covered by another paper, sans picture though.
http://www.heraldtribune.com/apps/pbcs. ... /412190856

wastingpenguins

Established Member
Reaction score
Wahaha. If only we can harness the power of this drug.

I, for one, will not mind shaving my eyelids every morning.

smudge

Established Member
Reaction score
found the pic!

19baby.751.jpg

ShatnersRug

Reaction score
I don't think immunosuppressants are a good way to treat hair loss, nor do I think anyone needs to be jealous of a baby with Niemann Pick disease.

Molecular Help

Established Member
Reaction score
Well that's just, like, you're opinion man.

putting things into their proper context: party crasher on a hairloss forum

outgrowth

Established Member
Reaction score
The name of the drug is CYCLOSPORINE. Antirejection drug that supresses the immune system. This might be a good thing topically, as it can avoid the destruction of the hair follicle!

Who got the guts to use it topically??

Bismarck

Reaction score
shosho said:
The name of the drug is CYCLOSPORINE. Antirejection drug that supresses the immune system. This might be a good thing topically, as it can avoid the destruction of the hair follicle!

Who got the guts to use it topically??

That's Tacrolismus. Widely used to treat skin disorders.

bis

Bismarck

Reaction score
shosho said:
Okay, but can it be used for Androgenetic Alopecia (male pattern baldness) ?

Maybe it helps a little bit. But I think it would be helpful to treat alopecia areata.

bis

outgrowth

Established Member
Reaction score
Yeah, actually it seems that it's already used (rarely though) to treat alopeca areata.

BadHairDecade

Reaction score
FYI this isn't our Rawbbie. Notice the period after his name. After an IP address trace I noticed that he's not even located in the same country as Rawbbie.

G

only bald people post crap like this.

get over it.

WhoEVER this is, I must say, I think I could learn to love him. Love him...

...but could he learn to love me?

smudge

Established Member
Reaction score
check this out!

http://www.geocities.com/bryan50001/cyclosporin.htm

it did only have 2 responders from a group of 8, but look at the regrowth on that guy!

EDIT: I just realized that this study has very high standards to be classified as a responder. To be considered a responder 100% increase in hair count after 1 year was necessary.

HairlossTalk

Reaction score
Quick, someone call it a "Cutting Edge" new hair loss treatment! If you don't do it here and now someone else will do it before you on HLH or HairSite! CUTTING EDGE!

HairLossTalk.com

smudge

Established Member
Reaction score
HairlossTalk said:
Quick, someone call it a "Cutting Edge" new hair loss treatment! If you don't do it here and now someone else will do it before you on HLH or HairSite! CUTTING EDGE!

HairLossTalk.com

Ok. I'm calling it !!CUTTING EDGE! Yeah!!! BABY....

What did I win?