newcomer needs help

snake

Reaction score
I am new to the forum although i have been reading it for some time.I am 28 years old and have a very receeding hairline and thinning on top. I have tried Rogaine and Regaine and other similar products over the last year but as I have been travelling in third world countried extensively I have often discontinued use of Minoxidil products for periods of up to a monthdue to lack of access.
I am again a couple of weeks into a Minoxidil course which I intend to NOT break. I have noticed both gerneral shedding and apparent regrowth around the temples over the last year and have just recently been shedding more then in the past.
The regrowth I have noticed around the temples is a peach-fuzz, will that grow any longer? Much of the rest of my hair appears to still be growing, but mostly at the back of my head.
I would like to add to my regime now that I am settled. I gather that Procerin is a joke but I am considering Propecia. My hope is for regrowth.
Please Help !

G

Snake, the best advice would have to be a combination of:

Finasteride (that's propecia or proscar or one of the genreics like Finpecia)

Minoxidil (Rogaine, Regaine, Dr Lee's or a generic like Kirkland)

Nizoral (Ketoconazole Shampoo, Dr Lee and boots in the UK do a version)

Get on these and stick on them and only evaluate your progress every few months (daily mirror starring can do strange thing to your perceptions of how it all going 'upstairs')

If you want to save money I would go for Proscar (5mg Finasteride tablet you chop into 5 pieces and take 1 a day) + Generic minoxidil + Nizoral.

Good Luck

snake

Reaction score
tynanW, thanks for the advice. Any idea what shedding should I expect from starting finasteride given Im on Minoxidil and have had shedding from that.
Procerin is a scam right, any success stories out there?

G

snake said:
tynanW, thanks for the advice. Any idea what shedding should I expect from starting finasteride given Im on Minoxidil and have had shedding from that.
Procerin is a scam right, any success stories out there?

You will have to ask someone else about shedding as I have never had a shed (that I have noticed anyhow), also click on the link in the top left of this page that reads Procerin users say it DOESN'T WORK.

G

Snake here are some more advice.

1) Check out a site called minoxidil.com it´s a great site to buy stuff that will give you better odds at fighting male pattern baldness.

2) Get on topicals fast. If you look at what´s happening then you know blocking androgens from your follicles is prio nr 1.

3) Be persistant. This is boring and frustrating but it can be rewarding. I thought I was a prime candidate to regrow Tina Turner hair - since I never had any signs of thinning at 28 and 2 months before my 29th birthday I felt like I had been run over by a lawn mower. My hairstylist said that she could tell a really significant difference and that within 2½ months :shock:

So I felt I had some sort of DHT shock and because I lost alot of hair in a relative short time I figured my testikles .... sorry had to ... follicles where shocked but not dead - thus eliminating DHT would help them getback online. So far I have gone through 1 - shedding, limping of hair 2 - regrowth (month 3 on finasteride) - shedding, limping of hair (month 4-5) - regrowth.

I´m not sure where I will end up but the last 4 days I´ve been really happy with my hair - and if you check my posts I´m not generally optimisitic.

I recommend this regime.

Anti DHT and regrowth.

finasteride <----- has no competition
Xandrox with Retinol A (both regrowth and anti DHT topical). Xandrox is minoxidil from minoxidil.com.
Revivogen

Anti inflammation.

nizoral <--- every third day when your scalp feels itchy and tender, otherwise once a week will do and when you use it let soak for about 10 mins.

I also recommend copper peptides in conjunction with nizoral. Because inflammation is what kills your hair, you need to stop it. Copper peptides are much more potent anti-inflammatory agents then nizoral.

Both nizoral and copper peptides give you slight regrowth and slight DHT inhibition.

Remember that topicals are absorbed best just after you´ve washed your hair - that´s a great time to apply copper peptides for instance.

Internal.

It´s a jungle out there but MSM and L-Arginine seems like trustworthy agents. But I belive anti-oxidants are the most established agent (for health in general).

God luck man!

snake

Reaction score
nesta,
thanks,
Are you saying you had a sudden hair loss over a few months and so then starting hair loss treatments?
i think ill take your advice and start finasteride (are u using Propecia?)
I may also move onto Xandrox and Retinol.
I see that nizoral is widely recomended also.
I dont quite follow your anti-oxidants comment?
How bad was the shedding you experienced?

G

Well I never shed apart from when I was my hair. I never wake up now or never in the past with hairs on my pillow - ok maybe there will be an ackumulation of 5 - 6 hairs each week but that´s not shedding.

But during a period between nov 2003 - april/may 2005 I lost ALOT of hairs in the shower. Apart from that the biggest difference is thickness of each individual hair - my hair is about 12 or so inches long and if I fold the hair I would say that the end part is twice as thick as the rootsection and I don´t mean the first cm of the root because that would be normal.

I understand now that my follicles have been under attack for quite some time, probably several years but since my individual hairs are/where so thick (some still are scary thick) and I never had any itchy or inflammed scalp the process was slow and so I didn´t notice it.

What makes me think it was much faster was that my hairstylist and she´s also a good friend said that I had amazingly thick and well managed hair. Three months later she said she could tell a significant change.

snake

Reaction score
im confused nesta, you mentioned in your first reply that you went through two cycles of shedding once on treatments, then you mentioned no shedding in your last post. Just trying to get an idea of what to expect.
Thanks for all your advice nesta.
How succesfull would you say nizoral,spironolactone,Proscar has been for you for regrowth?

G

Shedding is subjective. I don´t shed in the ways described by many on this board - I don´t lose hairs on my pillow, I don´t get hairs on my palms when I run them through my hair etc.

But I do lose alot in the shower in cycles.

Before treatement I never thought of it but I lost a ton.

After starting (march 20th) I kept losing hairs until late may. Then it stopped then it started again month 4 on my treatement. Now it seems to have stopped again.

A gut feeling tells me Proscar is doing 85% of the job. nizoral + Tricomin is doing 15%.

I just started Xandrox and I will stop using spironolactone since Xandrox is a potent anti androgen.

However I do plan on starting revivogen in the not distant future. I want to wash my hair more often because of the ciruclation benifit it gives you and to do that I want a shampoo that also treats the scalp - not nizoral. Revivogen works in totally different ways then any of the other products and I belive it to be a really solid product.

G

Yes, an unnatural product that needs to be used with care - just like Demi Moore.