NIACIN Topically applied increase in hair fullness!!!

azyx

Reaction score
A pilot study evaluating the efficacy of topically applied niacin
derivatives for treatment of female pattern alopecia

Background
Female pattern alopecia is a common dermatologic condition that manifests
after puberty. The only approved drug treatment for this condition is 2% minoxidil for topical application.
Aims
This pilot study examined the effect of topical application of two niacin derivatives, octyl nicotinate and tetradecyl nicotinate, on hair fullness in female alopecia.
Patients/methods
Sixty female subjects with Ludwig types I–III female pattern hair loss
were evaluated in a double-blinded, placebo-controlled (40 active, 20 placebo) design using standardized 35-mm photographic analyses for assessment of efficacy after 6 months of application.
Results
The niacin derivatives demonstrated a statistically significant increase in hair
fullness (P =0.04 compared to the placebo).
Conclusion
Whereas evaluation of hair growth in women is challenging, this 6-month
pilot study demonstrated statistically significant increase in hair fullness on blinded 35-mm photographic analysis. Long-term topical application of nicotinic acid derivatives offers promise for providing benefit in female alopecia and warrants further study.

more: http://www.mentorcorp.com/pdfs-global/n ... mentof.pdf

JLL

Established Member
Reaction score
Nice find. I'm not surprised niacin might help, since it's already been shown to improve skin quality.

vauxall

Established Member
Reaction score
It says "Female pattern alopecia " so I am not sure how this applies to men.

Bombarie

Banned
Reaction score
see the date!

© 2005 Blackwell Publishing •
Journal of Cosmetic Dermatology
, 258–261

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
I bet another effective "niacin derivative" (too bad they didn't test it in that study) would obviously be NANO (nicotinic acide n-oxide)! :)

armandein

Established Member
Reaction score
From study
"It was not possible to
determine in this study whether the increased hair
fullness was the result of increasing the density of active
hair follicles or increasing the quality of the existing hair
shafts,"

The photo clearly don't aid at this point.
Also it was a significant number of persons with problems in the skin, I am wondering about its composition.

47thin

Established Member
Reaction score
Don't get your hopes up, as Niacin is really, really, really easy to be put in products, and has already been put in Nioxin, and a host of other shampoos and conditioners. As far as NANO goes, we only have one member that claimed it really worked.