Nioxin or Nizoral?

Diffuser87

Reaction score
There isn't much talk about Nioxin in this forum. Does anyone have any experience or advice when it comes to Nioxin?

I had never heard of Nizoral before reading the posts here. I am very interested in trying it. How do you know which kind to buy (2%, etc.) and where can you buy it?

Should Nizoral be worked in 3 times a week with your normal shampoo regimen?

What are the best everyday shampoos to use?

Background:

I have been losing hair for about a year. My hairline hasn't changed much other than some receding at the temples. However, I have experienced a great amount of thinning, so much so that I don't feel comfortable spiking my hair up in the front because of how much you can see through to the scalp.

Thanks for any advice.

Grantspots

Established Member
Reaction score
Diffuser87 said:
There isn't much talk about Nioxin in this forum. Does anyone have any experience or advice when it comes to Nioxin?
Nioxin is a mediocre product when it comes to hair loss. They spent literally tens of millions per year on indoctrinating hair stylists to believe that its the holy grail in hair loss treatment, even downplaying Propecia and Rogaine. Despite well over 10 years and tens of millions per year, the most important thing to know about them, is that they've avoided, completely, any FDA testing. In a heartbeat they could trade in their glossy 50 page booklets and huge conferences and actually conduct an FDA study to prove the product actually does what they claim it does. They haven't bothered. The risk of proving it doesn't work isn't as financially lucrative as lying to people. As far as the specifics go, its basically an overpriced nizoral/revivogen. Anti inflammatory and only watered down mediocre topical antiandrogens. Far more bang for the buck with a Nizoral / Revivogen regimen.

I had never heard of Nizoral before reading the posts here. I am very interested in trying it. How do you know which kind to buy (2%, etc.) and where can you buy it?
Despite the fact that people on this forum tend to lean towards the extreme (kitchen sink approach, and the mentality that higher percent = better), 1% nizoral over the counter in the grocery store is wholly sufficient for the purposes of hair loss. Those with extrem inflammation and itching that does not go away after 3 months on Nizoral can consider the prescription 2% version.

Yes and let it soak for the duration of your shower.

I have been losing hair for about a year. My hairline hasn't changed much other than some receding at the temples. However, I have experienced a great amount of thinning, so much so that I don't feel comfortable spiking my hair up in the front because of how much you can see through to the scalp. Thanks for any advice.
A Propecia, Rogaine, Nizoral regimen with baseline photos (for perspective) and no looking in the mirror for at least 8 months should take care of your concerns 100%.

-G-

Diffuser87

Reaction score
Thank you very much for the input.

On the days when you use Nizoral, do you use your other shampoos as well? Or at least the conditioner?

Also, for those of you out there with thin hair, what shampoo/conditioner combos do you suggest for everyday use?

Thanks

elvis123

Established Member
Reaction score
Grantspots said:
Diffuser87 said:
Nioxin is a mediocre product when it comes to hair loss. They spent literally tens of millions per year on indoctrinating hair stylists to believe that its the holy grail in hair loss treatment, even downplaying Propecia and Rogaine. Despite well over 10 years and tens of millions per year, the most important thing to know about them, is that they've avoided, completely, any FDA testing. In a heartbeat they could trade in their glossy 50 page booklets and huge conferences and actually conduct an FDA study to prove the product actually does what they claim it does. They haven't bothered. The risk of proving it doesn't work isn't as financially lucrative as lying to people. As far as the specifics go, its basically an overpriced nizoral/revivogen. Anti inflammatory and only watered down mediocre topical antiandrogens. Far more bang for the buck with a Nizoral / Revivogen regimen.

Well I dont' know about you, but nioxin is pretty killer for me....one thing it does well is thicken up your existing hair...also contains polysorbate 80 which is supposedly good for your scalp in terms of DHT

Grantspots said:
Diffuser87 said:
Yes and let it soak for the duration of your shower.

How about twice a week? Is that sufficient? because i heard that using nizoral too many times if you don't have any conditions other than hair loss is bad for the scalp...

SoThatsLife

Established Member
Reaction score
2-3 times a week is good. leave it for 5 minutes so it gets into the dermis. Use a good conditioner.

elvis123

Established Member
Reaction score
conditioners are a waste of money

if my hair is grown long i just pile everything up after the shower and let it dry by itself

and if my hair is short you don't even need to use conditioner at all

SoThatsLife

Established Member
Reaction score
A good conditioner help with itching and other stuff. There is a difference in crap conditioners and good ones, but of course, your free to use what ever you want.

CCS

Reaction score
Diffuser87 said:

What are the best everyday shampoos to use?

Nizoral was tested in 3 independent 60 person studies and shown to regrow significantly more hair than placebo. It is not as strong as propecia, but is easy and cheap and known to help.

1% is shown to be as strong as 2%. Use 2-3 times per week. Nioxin has no studies I'm aware of.