Nizoral, itching and shedding.

anotherben

Reaction score
I’ve been popping propecia for about a year now, nothing amazing has come of it I havent developed a great new hairline, but it hasn’t made things any worse.
I decided to add Nizoral, I used it 3 times a week, mon, wed, and Friday, the days in between I used my normal shampoo etc.
After the first week things seemed fine, my hair did seem very dry though, but not enough to stop me using nizoral again, however in the second week my head started to feel like I wanted to rip the scalp off it was so itchy, I was constantly clawing at my scalp behind my ears and back of neck.
I also noticed after washing my hair with nizoral I had literally loads of hairs in the washbowl, not to mention when I just ran my fingers through my hair I ended up with more hair then I’ve got to spare stuck between my fingers so I just stopped using it and im now considering starting Minoxidil.
I would like to know if anyone else has experienced anything like this while using nizoral?

Eureka

Established Member
Reaction score
I know nizoral never helped my scalp situation, It may well have and may be helping my hairloss, but it dried the hell out of my scalp. However for me since being off propecia, The itching has gone away, So I'm attributing most of it to propecia.

But when I was using both and experiencing itching periods, where I'd itch and itch and itch until nasty chunks of greesy white dandruffy stuff would fill up under a nail or something, I didn't really find too many things that helped, Baby hampoo and head and shoulders seemed to help moisten my head, but those are said to both be bad for hairloss, I just wanted the itching to stop for me though.

Maybe trying your doctor for something may help.

On another note though, Does the itching from propecia and nizoral have something to do with lowered sebum? Since being off propecia my head has gotten more oily but less dandruffy or whatever it was that was coming off, I'm confused as to what exactly that entails for hairloss.

fireman

Reaction score
I've tried the 2% nizoral and that made my scalp itch like hell. Recently I've gone back to the 1% and I'm doing a lot better with that.

Which one are you using?

ginger-uk

Established Member
Reaction score
Does anyone actually think nizoral could have a detrimental effect on your hair maintenance regime?

blueshard

Established Member
Reaction score
ginger-uk said:
Does anyone actually think nizoral could have a detrimental effect on your hair maintenance regime?

Absolutely! That shampoo is made up of harsh chemicals. Sure the active ingredient has been shown to help hair loss, but if the stuff is making your head feel like crap, then stop using it imo.

Nizoral made my scalp health worse and anything that makes your scalp health worse should be removed from your regimen.

zxAddict

Established Member
Reaction score
nizoral can be a bit hard on the scalp - drying. Use a good conditioner to put some moisture back in your hair/on your scalp. Or an oil of some sort (eg Emu). It won't kill your hair folicles, at least not in this universe. It takes your own body to kill your hair follicles, they are actually resilient little buggers.