Nizoral Question

Reaction score
I've been using Nizoral two to four times a week since I started using minoxidil in November and finasteride in February.

I've noticed over time that Nizoral doesn't seem to be as effective at thickening up my hair as it used to be. I've also noticed that my hair feels a lot less voluminous on days when I use it. And to complicate things, I've also noticed a lot more flaking on my scalp on days when I use Nizoral.

I know that nizoral doesn't wear off, but I don't really understand why all of this is happening now, especially the excess flakes in my hair. Any idea as to why these things are happening now?

MW

ShockWave

Reaction score
I don't know why you think Nizoral is supposed to thicken up your hair. Its main job is to reduce inflamation and itching when using Propecia or minoxidil.

Cassin

Reaction score
For lack of a better term...Your hair does get used to shampoos.

I used Infusiom 23 for a year with great success and then it started making my hair look horrible....same thing with TIGI Thickening shampoo. You have to start rotating shampoos. I use maybe 3 or 4 a week now. TIGI products are fairly expensive but if you go to a salon you can buy them bulk for a fraction of the cost. My hair looks horrible if I use the same product for too long. The same goes with gel or hair spray. Odd eh? I guess hair just needs somethign diff in it rotated in from time to time for cosmetic effect.

4 times a week? Way too much. 2 or 3 will do the trick for sure. Just about every single artical you will read on Nizoral will state 2 or 3 times is a week is prime. Personally I use it Monday, Wednesday and Saturday followed by TIGI Moisture Maniac. You scalp/hair is fairly dry I am sure. Following nizoral with a nice moisturizing conditioner is a good idea. I recommened dropping nizoral for a week or two and give your scalp a break.

The flaking might be minoxidil buildup. Perhaps your not leaving in shampoo long enough on the scalp long enough to break up the minoxidil or whatever other topicals your using residue. T/SAL is a wonderful product for breaking that junk up. Any and all shampoos need to be left on the scalp for 3 to 5 minutes to do there thing. Plus they need to be massaged in.

Good luck.

kilton

Reaction score
What conditioners do you folks recommend? I think my scalp has always been somewhat dry and I'm sure my recent addition of Nizoral won't help things any. It's not so much dry hair that I'm worried about - just the scalp itself. Any recommendations?

silkeysmooth

Established Member
Reaction score
nizoral is designed to help with flakiness due to dandruff. I have sporiasis on certain areas of my scalp, and nizoral hardly helps. Dandruff is also due to an oily scalp, not a dry one, unlike sporiasis. So it would be good to find out why you're scalp is flakey; i recommend seeing a derm and having him take a look.

hairwish

Reaction score
I had trouble with the prescription dose 3 or 5 % but when I switched to the over the counter 1% dose it all went away. I use a pea sized drop of it and mix it with a pea sized drop of T-sal at least 3x a week, works great.

Cassin

Reaction score
kilton said:
What conditioners do you folks recommend? I think my scalp has always been somewhat dry and I'm sure my recent addition of Nizoral won't help things any. It's not so much dry hair that I'm worried about - just the scalp itself. Any recommendations?

TIGI: Bed Head Moisture Manic.......You CANNOT get a better moisturizing conditioner. I had tried quite a few in the past year.