Nizoral Shampoo

Rudy

Reaction score
Ok, so what's the deal with everyone using it? Does Propecia give you dandruff or something? I'm just curious as to why so many here use this specific dandruff shampoo? Is ti supposed to help wiht hairloss? :?

(Sorry, I guess I may still have a bunch of stupid newbie questions)

ACT10Npack

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I use Nizoral but not because Propecia give me dandruff. I take it because Nizoral 2% shows a very small improve of regrowth or slow down of hair loss.

G

The active ingredient in Nizoral (Ketoconazole) a mild anti-androgen.

Its anti-androgen effects are said to influence hair growth similarly to Minxoidil 2%

This action is enhanced by combining Nizoral with a Salicylic shampoo like T/Sal (that's T/Gel with salicylic acid in the UK)

Quote from Dr Lee website: Ketoconazole has been proven to decrease the quantities of DHT in the scalp by helping to inhibit its synthesis from sterols.  Salicylic acid has a keratolytic and a slight antiseptic action when applied topically to the skin.  By removing some of the dead epidermal layers of the stratum corneum, there is an enhanced action by the ketoconazole in suppressing the production of DHT in the scalp.

quote from the mighty CASSIN Basicaly it comes down to a 6% increase in hair weight after 6 months(Nizoral use)

Rudy

Reaction score
I see, thanks guys. So where can I get Nizoral 2%? I was at the store and looked to see if they had Nizoral and they did, but only the 1%. Is 2% only avaliable with a perscription?

Thomas

Established Member
Reaction score
Rudy said:
Ok, so what's the deal with everyone using it? Does Propecia give you dandruff or something? I'm just curious as to why so many here use this specific dandruff shampoo? Is ti supposed to help wiht hairloss? :?

I use Nizoral because I love the smell and how great it makes my hair feel. I feel like those chicks in those Herbal Essence commercials every time I use it.

BadHairDecade

Reaction score
Thomas said:
I feel like those chicks in those Herbal Essence commercials every time I use it.

OKAY maybe a little too much info :hairy:

Rudy,
A lot of people feel the 1% will do just fine. However if you want the 2% you either need a script (if your in the US) and wish to buy it locally, or you an get it from
http://www.canadapharmacy.com/ without a script.

Free Bird

Reaction score
Rudy said:

From here:

http://www.hairlosstalk.com/productrevi ... /propecia/

It is a little known fact that the FDA trial participants all used a shampoo like Nizoral for the duration of the (Propecia) trial. This was required, as the increased sebum production, inflammation, and irritation caused by the balding process can limit the effectiveness of any treatment. This is why it is STRONGLY recommended that a regimen including Propecia also include Nizoral shampoo used once every 3 days in rotation with your normal shampoo. You will not see optimum results without Nizoral, or a shampoo like it, in your regimen.

*snip*

NIZORAL: As mentioned above, it is a little known fact that the FDA required trial participants to use an anti-inflammatory shampoo like Nizoral for the duration of the trials. This means you should too. You must keep your scalp in a non-itchy, non-inflamed, non-flaky state in order for Propecia (or any other treatment for that matter) to work well.

---------------

misterium

Reaction score
I started thinning about a year ago. Got on Propecia and I'm currently into my 5th month.

Thinning only on crown/vertex. Random itch spots, but mostly on crown area it feels the most itchy.

Under control for the most part, thanks to Nizoral 1% 2 - 3x weekly.

My question is, would the itch have been there even if I didn't start to take Propecia or use Nizoral? Because I think I noticed the itch only AFTER I had started with Propecia... which makes me feel that Propecia itself causes scalp situations, which then require countermeasures such as nizoral and/or emu oil.

Is this right ?

misterium

Reaction score
Redbone:

Is that the MILF HUNTER in your avatar man ?

:D

21gone

Established Member
Reaction score
They used TGel not nizoral because of its slight regrowth properties in the trials.