Nizoral Side Effects

indianbaldman

Reaction score
Hi All,
I am a 26 year old guy, suffering from male pattern baldness.

I am taking Ketaglo Ad shampoo which contains 2% ketoconazole. I am using it once in 3 days, i.e 2 times a week.
I wet my hairs and then apply the shampoo, keep it for 5 mins and then wash it.

After few hours I feel a little bit burning sensation and I am noticing that my hair line is receding badly on the sides. I feel a bit of head ache as well. Are these symptoms normal? I am also feeling that I am having shed on the sides where I had hairs earlier, are there any chances that such hairs might come back??

Snapshot_20141006_6.JPG

I guess it is norwood 4, and I am planning for a hair transplant as well. So, do you guys think that this is the only option or the hairs shed by me might come back? If they can come back, then how long does it take for hair to recover from shed and come back?

thanks in advance.

Notcoolanymore

Reaction score
Are you using anything to treat your hair loss. Nizoral is part of the Big 3, but I doubt it will do much to actually help you regrow your hair. Your shed is most likely just continued hair loss.

indianbaldman

Reaction score
Are you using anything to treat your hair loss. Nizoral is part of the Big 3, but I doubt it will do much to actually help you regrow your hair. Your shed is most likely just continued hair loss.

No I am not using any other treatment other than Biotin capsules, my hairs were almost normal but this time after shaving it is not growing properly. What did you mean by continued hair loss?

Will hair transplant be helpful? Should I go for it?

mr.patches

Established Member
Reaction score
No I am not using any other treatment other than Biotin capsules, my hairs were almost normal but this time after shaving it is not growing properly. What did you mean by continued hair loss?

Will hair transplant be helpful? Should I go for it?

You'll need a DHT inhibitor like finasteride or dutasteride to stop the hair loss and hopefully regrow some, otherwise you'll be fighting a lost battle. Nizoral and Biotin alone will not do much for you if you don't use a DHT inhibitor but they are great complements.

Btw, it's not as easy as "going" for hair transplant. You'll need to be evaluated at a hair clinic to see if you're a good candidate first.

indianbaldman

Reaction score
You'll need a DHT inhibitor like finasteride or dutasteride to stop the hair loss and hopefully regrow some, otherwise you'll be fighting a lost battle. Nizoral and Biotin alone will not do much for you if you don't use a DHT inhibitor but they are great complements.

Btw, it's not as easy as "going" for hair transplant. You'll need to be evaluated at a hair clinic to see if you're a good candidate first.

But Ketoconazole is a DHT Inhibitor and I have read that it is stronger than Propecia (Finasteride) according to some research. It is even told that it is equivalent to 2% minoxidil.
Finasteride has its side effects on sexual sides, so I am trying to avoid it (yet to get married).

These is my pic of top head. Hair is dense and hairs are super strong in the back, I cannot pull a single hair from the back even on applying force, hair is weak only at the front.

Snapshot_20141006_1.JPG

Snapshot_20141006_2.JPG

The above 2 pics are taken 29 days post clean shaving my head.

Notcoolanymore

Reaction score
What did you mean by continued hair loss?

I meant that you probably continue to lose hair because you are balding, and will continue to lose your hair if you don't treat it.

- - - Updated - - -

Finasteride has its side effects on sexual sides, so I am trying to avoid it (yet to get married).

Oh ok. Yeah, I have a steady girlfriend so it should be fine if I end up getting ED.

mr.patches

Established Member
Reaction score
But Ketoconazole is a DHT Inhibitor and I have read that it is stronger than Propecia (Finasteride) according to some research. It is even told that it is equivalent to 2% minoxidil.

These is my pic of top head. Hair is dense and hairs are super strong in the back, I cannot pull a single hair from the back even on applying force, hair is weak only at the front.

View attachment 28227

View attachment 28228

The above 2 pics are taken 29 days post clean shaving my head.

Ketoconazole (shampoo) is a topical DHT inhibitor, which would strengthen an oral DHT inhibitor but I will not do much by itself as you will keep producing high amounts of DHT and chances are lots of it will still get to your scalp.

It seems you have a similar hair loss pattern as mine, recession + thinning on the front = heading towards Norwood Type A.
a pattern.jpg
Just ask yourself what is worse, taking the risk (sides may or may not happen) or look like the guy in the image? It's all on you man. Best of luck!