No one have an answer !

gascoigne

Established Member
Reaction score
My case is very strange. If its correct that its all about genetics, then how am i lossing, if i have no bald ancestors.
My father was hair model, has full hair in 58; my mothers father was hair model, has full head of hair in 78; my fathers father died with hair. All brothers of my mothers father have hair with 60 and 70 years old. My grandmothers father died with hair.
THEN HOW IT CAN BE GENETICS ?!

Attachments

• Slide1.JPG
    Slide1.JPG
    44.5 KB · Views: 206

deadlocks

Established Member
Reaction score
How old are you now? Not that I have an answer, mind you...

You can always try to get your hair back by using medications? It doesn't seem bad enough yet, so if you act now you will likely maintain your hair.

gascoigne

Established Member
Reaction score
deadlocks said:
How old are you now? Not that I have an answer, mind you...

You can always try to get your hair back by using medications? It doesn't seem bad enough yet, so if you act now you will likely maintain your hair.

Deadlocks, thanks for reading.
Unfortunately, medications can only help 20-30 % (at best) to SLOW hair loosing. The moment you stop using it, all you "saved" hair goes away.

Can you see my hairstyle on first pic? Its thick and dense like Elvis. Its gona be very ugly in further few years.

KnowHair

Reaction score
"Unfortunately, medications can only help 20-30 % (at best) to SLOW hair loosing. The moment you stop using it, all you "saved" hair goes away."

Why would you stop? Think of it like brushing your teeth every single day of your life - when you stop (and not brush them ever again), they will rot and fall out. May be not ALL of your teeth, but even the baldest of men still have a fringe of hair around their heads. Taking a pill for your hair is far easier than brushing your teeth or going to the dentist for root canals.

gascoigne

Established Member
Reaction score
KnowHair said:
"Unfortunately, medications can only help 20-30 % (at best) to SLOW hair loosing. The moment you stop using it, all you "saved" hair goes away."

Why would you stop? Think of it like brushing your teeth every single day of your life - when you stop (and not brush them ever again), they will rot and fall out. May be not ALL of your teeth, but even the baldest of men still have a fringe of hair around their heads. Taking a pill for your hair is far easier than brushing your teeth or going to the dentist for root canals.

Friend, i appriciate your comment, but your comparation is just not good.
With good genetics, you dont even have to brush teeth every day, and they will not fall out until late oldnes.

KnowHair

Reaction score
"Friend, i appriciate your comment, but your comparation is just not good.
With good genetics, you dont even have to brush teeth every day, and they will not fall out until late oldnes."

Exceptions prove the rule. Even primitive cultures with no access to modern toothbrushes or toothpaste still use other means of cleaning teeth AND they are unlikely to eat modern sugary or acidic foods.

Regardless, you may THINK that you have a good genetic history that should have saved your hair, but you may not - it only takes a single bald ancestor, as baldness can skip many generations, it can come from male or female lines, and sometimes it's a combination of various different genetic lines meeting together.

For example, let say someone with good hair but may be slight recession at a later age married someone who came from family with excellent hair (zero hairloss) but also some history of extensive body hair (lots of testosterone and androgen activity). The child of such marriage may combine genes from one family that only normally give the carrier a slight recession with genes from family with excellent hair but with strong androgen activity. The addition of increased androgen activity may exacerbate what would have normally been only a slight recession in the old age into major hairloss.

Genetic hairloss is very complex. There are tests available and only your dermatologist may be able to answer whether your particular hairloss is a genetic male pattern baldness or from some other cause.

gascoigne

Established Member
Reaction score
KnowHair said:
"Friend, i appriciate your comment, but your comparation is just not good.
With good genetics, you dont even have to brush teeth every day, and they will not fall out until late oldnes."

Exceptions prove the rule. Even primitive cultures with no access to modern toothbrushes or toothpaste still use other means of cleaning teeth AND they are unlikely to eat modern sugary or acidic foods.

Regardless, you may THINK that you have a good genetic history that should have saved your hair, but you may not - it only takes a single bald ancestor, as baldness can skip many generations, it can come from male or female lines, and sometimes it's a combination of various different genetic lines meeting together.

For example, let say someone with good hair but may be slight recession at a later age married someone who came from family with excellent hair (zero hairloss) but also some history of extensive body hair (lots of testosterone and androgen activity). The child of such marriage may combine genes from one family that only normally give the carrier a slight recession with genes from family with excellent hair but with strong androgen activity. The addition of increased androgen activity may exacerbate what would have normally been only a slight recession in the old age into major hairloss.

Genetic hairloss is very complex. There are tests available and only your dermatologist may be able to answer whether your particular hairloss is a genetic male pattern baldness or from some other cause.

Knowhair, thank you for beeing such detalied in your post!!!
You are right, i am hairy as monkey, everypart of my body is covered with dense, curly hair.
I am so desperate... my face would never look the same with nice hair, and with bald head.

KnowHair

Reaction score
Gascoigne... I have been in your shoes and I caught my hairloss early. I am also (I was) quite hairy before I got started - Finasteride helped reduced my body hair as well (but my beard hair is the same - as good as ever). For me it too was a combination of genes from both sides of family that did it. While I am not a doctor but a hairloss "survivor" who himself used (and still use) Finasteride for 13 years since I was around 22 y.o. (I am 35 now) with great results (here's my story: http://www.hairlosstalk.com/interact/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=69762&start=0), but I will repeat for you the advice that I just gave to another fellow kin the forum:

If you want to do something about it, you have to get on Finasteride ASAP. Here's what you do: today make an appointment with a dermatologist (preferably one that says they treat hairloss on their website), ask him or her to proscribe for you a generic Proscar (5mg Finasteride). You may want to call ahead to confirm they will do this for you so that you don't waste your time. If not, find another one that will. If you have no health insurance, derm visit may cost you (usually under $200 - or may be they'll give you a break if you tell them you are a poor student). Ask the derm to give you as many refills as possible from get go (so that you don't have to hassle with them).

Then, take your prescription to nearest pharmacist. It will cost you around $10 for 30 pills (4 months of treatment) of generic Proscar - $30 or $40 for the whole year of hair treatment (affordable enough?), depending where you live. Get a pill splitter as well. You will be splitting each pill into 4 parts (easy, with practice) and take one piece every single day (I take one every morning before breakfast - but it doesn't really matter when as long as you do it consistently).

Or, if you can afford, I would get Proscar made by Merk - to be sure you are getting the full strength of Finasteride. It's more expensive, but for me it's peace of mind (it only costs around $135 for four months of it and may be even cheaper in your area).

Also, I have a theory - the more body hair you have, the better responder to Finasteride you will be. Just a theory...

Good luck!

gascoigne

Established Member
Reaction score
monty1978 said:
Very well expained by knowhair.

Still I would exhaust other options before you commit to taking a vanity pill for the rest of your life!

A pill that is not necessary for your human functioning will pass through your liver every day for the rest of your life for no other reason than to save the hair on your head.

I would get a broad concensus of opinions before making a decision.

Still I would exhaust other options before you commit to taking a vanity pill for the rest of your life!

A pill that is not necessary for your human functioning will pass through your liver every day for the rest of your life for no other reason than to save the hair on your head.

I would get a broad concensus of opinions before making a decision.[/quote]

Monthy, thanks!!!
I would never use those pils and minoxidil, propercia etc.
Its stupid!!! You can save BIT of your hare, but you cant save you HAIRSTLYE.
Point of my hair is in my hairstyle. With balding front (which no drug or pil can save) i wont be able to have not even similar hairstyle. And i would have to take those pils every day for whole life, just to save 20-30 % of weak, thin hair, and even not permanently !?!?!?

I dont want to offend other forum users, but that is just silly to me.

KnowHair

Reaction score
gascoigne, I think you have a great chance at regrowing (judging by your pictures) most of what you've lost, including in the front - not just keeping the "weak" hair you have, but making your hair better. But if you don't think you want to deal with pills, sprays, I am afraid there's NOTHING else other than Propecia that you can do today that will even have a remote chance of restoring the hair you once had.

Accepting one's hairloss is a good choice as well. There may be products or treatments coming out some time in the future that will be more natural and more effective than Propecia. I hope they come soon, for you and for me.

gascoigne

Established Member
Reaction score
KnowHair said:
Gascoigne... I have been in your shoes and I caught my hairloss early. I am also (I was) quite hairy before I got started - Finasteride helped reduced my body hair as well (but my beard hair is the same - as good as ever). For me it too was a combination of genes from both sides of family that did it. While I am not a doctor but a hairloss "survivor" who himself used (and still use) Finasteride for 13 years since I was around 22 y.o. (I am 35 now) with great results (here's my story: http://www.hairlosstalk.com/interact/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=69762&start=0), but I will repeat for you the advice that I just gave to another fellow kin the forum:

If you want to do something about it, you have to get on Finasteride ASAP. Here's what you do: today make an appointment with a dermatologist (preferably one that says they treat hairloss on their website), ask him or her to proscribe for you a generic Proscar (5mg Finasteride). You may want to call ahead to confirm they will do this for you so that you don't waste your time. If not, find another one that will. If you have no health insurance, derm visit may cost you (usually under $200 - or may be they'll give you a break if you tell them you are a poor student). Ask the derm to give you as many refills as possible from get go (so that you don't have to hassle with them).

Then, take your prescription to nearest pharmacist. It will cost you around $10 for 30 pills (4 months of treatment) of generic Proscar - $30 or $40 for the whole year of hair treatment (affordable enough?), depending where you live. Get a pill splitter as well. You will be splitting each pill into 4 parts (easy, with practice) and take one piece every single day (I take one every morning before breakfast - but it doesn't really matter when as long as you do it consistently).

Or, if you can afford, I would get Proscar made by Merk - to be sure you are getting the full strength of Finasteride. It's more expensive, but for me it's peace of mind (it only costs around $135 for four months of it and may be even cheaper in your area).

Also, I have a theory - the more body hair you have, the better responder to Finasteride you will be. Just a theory...

Good luck!

Friend, you are such a nice person!!! Thank you for beeing with me here.
I saw your topic and pics. Your hair looks very good!! ( i dind see your face, but by the head shape and strong beard, i think we are very similar physicaly :)
Your results are supernatural!!! I gues you know that no pil or creme can help us with lossing hair on the front and temples. You dindt loose you hair there.

gascoigne

Established Member
Reaction score
KnowHair said:
gascoigne, I think you have a great chance at regrowing (judging by your pictures) most of what you've lost, including in the front - not just keeping the "weak" hair you have, but making your hair better. But if you don't think you want to deal with pills, sprays, I am afraid there's NOTHING else other than Propecia that you can do today that will even have a remote chance of restoring the hair you once had.

Accepting one's hairloss is a good choice as well.

But what about hair tranplanst? With my (your also) hair density, we could have a good transplant that will make it look good.

KnowHair

Reaction score
But what about hair tranplanst? With my (your also) hair density, we could have a good transplant that will make it look good.

Hair transplants are a long term commitment when you are still young. This is because you will continue losing hair behind the transplanted area and will need to have additional (and expensive) transplants to fill in the areas as they become bald. Also, hair transplants will not give you the thickness you want, especially when you are still young and you have a chance of balding some more. If you put too much in the front when you are still young, you may not have enough available hair left later in life as you continue to bald and need more transplants.

Also, the way you transplant turns out depends on the skill and art of the surgeon. A lot of people in this forum have been "butchered" by bad doctors and scarred for life.

gascoigne

Established Member
Reaction score
KnowHair said:

Hair transplants are a long term commitment when you are still young. This is because you will continue losing hair behind the transplanted area and will need to additional transplants to fill in the areas as they become bald. Also, hair transplants will not give you the thickness you want, especially when you are still young and you have a chance of balding some more. If you put too much in the front when you are still young, you may not have enough hair left later in life over as you continue to bald.

You are handsome man !!! Wow, how did you carried out with your knowing that you are affected?

KnowHair

Reaction score
You are handsome man !!! Wow, how did you carried out with your knowing that you are affected?

Thanks!:) It was a real shock at first, especially since I always had great, thick hair, wasn't married yet and just starting to date. Hairloss was all that I could think about. However, once I decided to learn what I can start doing that will REALLY help me and then I started to do something about my hairloss, it was a huge relief.