No perfect food.

CCS

Reaction score
The healthiest foods may mess some people up. Why can't there just be some good food that does not have side effects?

New research also suggests that barley and other foods rich in lectins, a type of plant protein, could increase the risk for rheumatoid arthritis (RA) in people whose genes make them susceptible to this disease. The theory is the lectins spur your immune system to attack your body's own joints, leading to inflammation. If you already suffer from RA, try eliminating cereal grains like barley, oats and wheat from your diet. Your symptoms may improve.
http://www.bellybytes.com/bytes/barley.shtml

lectins: I've seen this on ingredients labels. They add this stuff in processed foods. Ever seen "soy lectin" on the ingredients?

CCS

Reaction score
I wonder if fish and borageseed oils can counter the inflammation, or if there is no inflammation caused by the grains.

Anyone know if the book "inflammation nation" is any good, besides stating the obvious about avoiding transfat? There are so many opinions floating around out there that I don't see why I should pay money to read another unless it definitely is better backed than the rest.

Cassin

Reaction score
collegechemistrystudent said:
I wonder if fish and borageseed oils can counter the inflammation, or if there is no inflammation caused by the grains.

Anyone know if the book "inflammation nation" is any good, besides stating the obvious about avoiding transfat? There are so many opinions floating around out there that I don't see why I should pay money to read another unless it definitely is better backed than the rest.

Check out books by Dr Weil.

tchehov

Experienced Member
Reaction score
You can't win really...

I'm allergic to penicillin - I have to wear a disc around my neck that reads, 'in the event of an accident please don't do anything which may save my life'.

IBM

Reaction score
Anyone had tried this diet only of:

- Tomato;
- Lettuce;
- Carrots;
- Grapes;
- Apples;
- Pearls;
- Integral spagetti
- Lemmon;
- Few Fish;

I think it could help our balance of our body system.

47thin

Established Member
Reaction score
Has anyone seen the picture of the author of "Inflammation nation"? He looks healthy, and well, bald on top of his entire head. I'm trying to figure out how much this guys diet is helping his hair? That being said, I'll probably still take my supplements, etc. I just wouldn't expect any miracles.

The Gardener

Reaction score
I think the general idea of a perfect diet is one that revolves around BALANCE, minimizes saturated fats, and is high in fiber.

Harie

Experienced Member
Reaction score
The Gardener said:
I think the general idea of a perfect diet is one that revolves around BALANCE, minimizes saturated fats, and is high in fiber.

Actually, much newer research is pointing to the fact that saturated fat is actually good for you...Possibly even better for you than polyunsaturated/unsaturated. I've been reading up on some research cases which gave us the old standard that saturated fat/cholesterol was the cause of heart attacks...Most of it is BS and not backed by scientific research.

Interesting link on the above subject.

http://www.townsendletter.com/AugSept_2 ... se0802.htm