non shedding with minoxidil anyone?

TheHairGrower

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, i wanted to buy minoxidil because of the very affordable price, but then i noted all the terrible shedding side effects. Ive managed to regrow my hair with natural products. I want a stronger, more scientificly tested topical now, or even a pill. Ive heard some people dont shed with minoxidil.

Any recomendations for a topical like spectral, or rogaine, that wont cause me to shed? thanks

JohnnySeville

Established Member
Reaction score
Whether you shed or not is an individual thing, I never did with Rogaine but I did with Finasteride. You just have to try it to find out for yourself. I am not too impressed with the Spectral, most of ingredients will do nothing for you, only the minoxidil in it will help so you might as well save money and purchase Rogaine. BTW, consider the foam, its more potent that the liquid and is pretty cheap on eBay, just bought 3 cans for $30.

TheHairGrower

Established Member
Reaction score
thanks for the tip on ebay, will take a look. although a stronger does may not be what im looking for. stronger dose might cause the shedding to happen more. im thinking if thers a way to bypass the shed, maybe start with really low dosages, strengthening the hair, along with my current regime wich is regrowing my hair.

i want to try something more scientific but not at the cost of shedding.

sphlanx2006

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I am using minoxidil for almost 4 months, had some nice regrowth, and never had any horrible shedding experience. I think ACTUAL shedding occurs to much less people that it is sometimes said to be in this forum.

ShedMaster

Reaction score
sphlanx2006 said:
I am using minoxidil for almost 4 months, had some nice regrowth, and never had any horrible shedding experience. I think ACTUAL shedding occurs to much less people that it is sometimes said to be in this forum.

Quite prassably true.. if someone does shed, you will almost certainly hear about it. If you don't then I doubt you'll post on your experience.

JohnnySeville

Established Member
Reaction score
Maybe you can try the 2% Rogaine, I have never heard of anyone shedding from this, then possibly move up to the 5% over time or stay with 2%, depends on how your hair loss progresses.

TheHairGrower

Established Member
Reaction score
ShedMaster said:
sphlanx2006 said:

Quite prassably true.. if someone does shed, you will almost certainly hear about it. If you don't then I doubt you'll post on your experience.

whoa, delightfully encouraging and surprising.

i guess people will tend to post ther bad experiences, maybe.

But its good to know rogaine grows hair and doesnt doom you to shedding. Interesting to note a smaller 2% does supposedly doesnt cause shedding, or very little.

Thanks, Homer dude for that.

any others who had no shedding with ther treatments please share them thanks

dietcola

Experienced Member
Reaction score
why are you so scared of the big bad shed? it's not supposed to last more than a month or two at most, and after that you should start improving. also, depending on how much hair you have to start with the shed may not make a big difference in the look of your hair.

TheHairGrower

Established Member
Reaction score
dietcola said:
why are you so scared of the big bad shed? it's not supposed to last more than a month or two at most, and after that you should start improving. also, depending on how much hair you have to start with the shed may not make a big difference in the look of your hair.

really? well i want to keep the hair because i just grew it out, at the rate its growing back it will be slow and steady. I heard lots of stories like 7 months shedding, and then people quitting and all that.

TheHairGrower

Established Member
Reaction score
SHEDDING DUE TO CHEMICAL AGENTS

Minoxidil

For the same reasons that minoxidil promotes hair growth, it can also cause shedding. Despite many years of research and use, the exact physiologic mechanisms whereby minoxidil stimulates hair growth is not known. The stimulatory effect of minoxidil on the hair follicle can cause hair that is in the telogen phase to shed before the end of the normal 100-day telogen period.

The effect of minoxidil on the hair follicles is dose dependent. The initial shedding was rarely reported during use of topical 2% minoxidil. With 5% topical minoxidil, it was usually not noticeable, but was infrequently reported. With the use of currently available minoxidil concentrations of 12.5%, the initial shedding is commonly reported. The shedding can be noted within weeks of initial use of topical minoxidil.

Since shedding due to the use of topical minoxidil only effects hair that is in the telogen phase, the increased shedding should not last longer than 100 days and should only effect those areas of the scalp where the topical minoxidil is being applied.

http://www.minoxidil.com/Shedding.htm

This is a good page on shedding. They say 2% rarely causes shedding, 5% some shedding, and xandrox 15% minoxidil alot are shedding.

So it seems the more minoxidil, the more shedding.

so i will try using small dosages, to try and grow the hairs stronger and thicker and grow more. used with my other regime i think my hairs will wistand the shedding, I have a feeling.

i baught spectral DNC for this reason

ShedMaster

Reaction score
there is an entire section on shedding on this forum.. there is a reason for that! Also read the FAQ section accessible from the main HairLossTalk.com.com page for a much more in depth explaination behind shedding. I would not recommend going with 2% as IMO this is generally intended for females who are much more succeptable to side effects then men and your results will be minimal at best.

there was a former user on here named tynan who said it best... "Hairloss forums are full of people with problems, that is the function of a haiross forum, you should not take the temperature of a nation in a hospital. "

Strat54

Established Member
Reaction score
I don’t know why, but I never shed. And I’ve taken Propecia, Avodart, Spectral DNC, Rogaine, Kirkland minoxidil and Rogaine Foam.

Maybe some people don’t shed at all, or maybe it’s because I stopped loosing hair many years ago.

I'm just trying to maintain what I have, but to my surprise I’m even regrowing a bit.

I read of so many people shedding that, when I start using a new product I’m always waiting for a shed, but it never happens.

RadioRaheem

Established Member
Reaction score
Strat54 said:
I don’t know why, but I never shed. And I’ve taken Propecia, Avodart, Spectral DNC, Rogaine, Kirkland minoxidil and Rogaine Foam.

Maybe some people don’t shed at all, or maybe it’s because I stopped loosing hair many years ago.

I'm just trying to maintain what I have, but to my surprise I’m even regrowing a bit.

I read of so many people shedding that, when I start using a new product I’m always waiting for a shed, but it never happens.

Yeah, a bunch on this site scare people with their stories. But I have never experienced shedding with Rogaine 5% or Rogaine Foam. Nor have I experienced the side effects some people on here claim to have gotten.

sphlanx2006

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Yeah, a bunch on this site scare people with their stories. But I have never experienced shedding with Rogaine 5% or Rogaine Foam. Nor have I experienced the side effects some people on here claim to have gotten.

That is my point, people post horror stories about losing like 70% of their density because of minoxidil. Of course this is bullshit.

Shedding DOES happen, but when it does it is only good. As said to the FAQ there is no chance it will knock your hair roots out of your scalp. When a hair is shed because of minoxidil, it will grow back. Only difference is there is a great chance to grow back thicker.

TheHairGrower

Established Member
Reaction score
sphlanx2006 said:

That is my point, people post horror stories about losing like 70% of their density because of minoxidil. Of course this is bullshit.

Shedding DOES happen, but when it does it is only good. As said to the FAQ there is no chance it will knock your hair roots out of your scalp. When a hair is shed because of minoxidil, it will grow back. Only difference is there is a great chance to grow back thicker.

well, this isnt really true. lots of people cant deal with the shedding then quit, possibly leaving the hairs gone and not regrown.

and others, are shedding for like 7 months + etc,

TheHairGrower

Established Member
Reaction score
come on, i know ther are more non shedding stories, lets hear em, a simple reply, i didnt shed will do

Sharpshooter

Reaction score
I did shed for the first 4-6 weeks, but since I only apply minoxidil to the temples and I was actually shedding all over it was probably to do with the Propecia rather than the Regaine.

Regaine's been quite good to me though, no sides, little shedding and some solid regrowth.

The only thing that pisses me off is that I'm growing significantly more hair one temple than on the other. :? It's still yet to start properly apart from some bum hairs on that temple.

RadioRaheem

Established Member
Reaction score
Sharpshooter said:
The only thing that pisses me off is that I'm growing significantly more hair one temple than on the other. :? It's still yet to start properly apart from some bum hairs on that temple.

You know, I've been experiencing this same thing. My left temple is growing more hair than the right temple. But at least its working! I just hope the right temple progresses more as well.

dietcola

Experienced Member
Reaction score
i'm only at the one week mark on rogaine foam. i run my fingers through my hair about 100 times a day, out of that i'll probably shed 20 hairs. most are pathetic looking hairs anyways so i figure they might as well go and with any luck come back a little more heroic.

so at one week, not shedding.

chr1s

Established Member
Reaction score
I too am on the 1 week (and 1 day) mark with rogaine foam.

-No shedding, at least nothing more than normal
-No itching
-No heart problems
-No face bloating (I thought I was getting it but it was just my salt intake)
-No hassles using the foam

Hope things continue this way, but most of all i hope it actually works! I'm staying away from the pills for now, my situation is not that serious as of yet. I strongly suggest you get the foam. I have a feeling that liquid version will become a thing of the past from now on.