Noob in need of propecia/minoxidill advice to save my future self.

0-100realquick

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

First time poster here, but I have been reading A LOT from different forums. I know of most of the current treatments and expectations,side effects, etc. But I wanted to get some different opinions from those who actually suffer from male pattern baldness and not some doctor who doesn't give a crap hair loss. Anyways, over the past two years I have noticed that my hairline has been creeping up on me. I am currently 20(21 in 1 month) and I like to consider myself as a good looking guy who has always been known for his hair. Unfortunately, over the past 7 months I have noticed in a massive increase in the amount of hair I shed in showers, on my pillow, while running my hands through my hair, etc. I have noticed the most hair loss and change in my temples, the area between my temples and sideburns, and frontal hairline. My father is in his mid 50's and has thinned on top but still has a decent hairline and maintained 40% of his total hair on top. On my mother's side, my grandfather is a NW7 and was basically a NW5 at 30 years old. One uncle on my moms side is completely bald and started losing hair around 19, while my other uncle on my moms side is probably a NW3.5. My brother is 3 years older than me and has lost more hair compared to me, especially in temple region and crown. I have spoke to 3 doctors(1 GP, and 2 dermatologists), they all said not to worry about anything and the most I should do is minoxidill. I have some pictures below and many of you would say that my hair looks fine, but I want to prevent loss and possibly grow some hair that I lost on hairline. I have been exercising and lifting weights religiously since I was 17 and I eat somewhat of a healthy diet. What do you guys recommend? Should I try to get some propecia? Should I use rogaine? Thanks!

IMAG0097.jpgIMAG0100.jpgIMAG0098.jpgIMAG0095.jpgIMAG0096.jpg

Raz

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Well, if you feel like you need to get on any treatment - it would be Finasteride in this case. There's not much to be regrown in your case as you're still in the NW1-club, so Minoxidil wouldn't really be wise. Finasteride is mainly for maintenance, which it does fine. I can't see any recession in your pics yet, barring some miniaturization (possibly) in the area between temples and the sideburns, as you said.

My advice as of now would be continuing the monitoring of your hair. You seem to have some genetic predisposition towards balding and have done your research already, so first things first would be ensuring you have male pattern baldness. You don't want to get on Finasteride without having the need for it. Keep taking pictures every month or so, observe the shedding/regrowth etc., and if you find that there's a decline in the quality/quantity of your hair compared to the past month, you can act and get on Finasteride to maintain whatever you have and likely even regrow the few hairs you've lost, as they wouldn't have been gone too long or miniaturized for many regrowth cycles. If this happens, get on generic finasteride to save a ton of money for the same results (I spend about 40$ on 400 days of Finasteride at 1.25mg a day)

Minoxidil should be used in conjunction with a DHT-inhibitor like Finasteride for long-lasting results if you're already too far gone (like I was, hitting the NW3½ range with plenty of diffuse thinning too), but on itself it doesn't give you long-lasting results as it doesn't combat the cause of male pattern baldness. Also, being mainly a tool for regrowth and not maintenance, a NW1 (for now) like yourself wouldn't get anything out of it.

TL;DR: keep observing your hair and take pictures every month or so. Also pay attention to if you get any other classic male pattern baldness-symptom signs like an itchy scalp or a burning sensation up there. If it gets worse, get on finasteride. If things stay more or less the same, congrats!

zzzzz

My Regimen
Reaction score
yea you are receeding I would start finasteride only I wouldn really bother with minoxidil in your case

0-100realquick

Established Member
Reaction score
Okay thank you Raz and zzzzz, so finastride only and no rogaine yet. I actually started taking pictures since October, so I will keep monitoring it. More opinions are always welcome.