Norcal88's Story - (Is this male pattern baldness? (21/ pics)

Norcal88

Reaction score
So I have a pretty strong widow's peak, and it's beginning to become difficult to differentiate between a low widow's peak or if I have temple recession. I just wanted to come on here for some objective opinions to see if I should go on a regimen.

p6070425.jpg

p6070413.jpg

p6070400.jpg

p6070396.jpg

p6070390.jpg

p6070388.jpg

p6070387.jpg

p6070383.jpg

sergiotahini

Established Member
Reaction score
Re: Is this male pattern baldness? (21/ pics)

Hard to say, but your temple recession looks pretty deep to me. I can't tell 100%, but it looks like there are miniaturized hairs at the corners of your temples, and that your left side of the hairline has receded a bit more than your right. Your crown also looks like it's starting to thin a bit, but maybe that's just the way your hair has always been.

Todd

Established Member
Reaction score
If this is what your hair looks like, and you´re not experiencing shedding a the moment, I would say no. Doesn´t look like male pattern baldness, you just look like what guys do when they get older. The famous mature hairline.

If you shed, however, it could be the start of hairloss. Start out easy with nizoral and see if it helps.

Norcal88

Reaction score
Thanks for the input! I don't think I qualify as "shedding" as I usually lose 10 hairs or so if I run my hands through it 2-3 times. Of course it is usually more when I'm just out of the shower and when my hair is grown out a lot. If I had to venture a guess, I would say I actually notice 20-25 per day.

The hair at my widow's peak is very strong, so it is a little scary having (relatively) thinner hair at the temples. I'm not sure if this is merely by comparison, or there is actual miniaturization.

Since my hair is lightly-colored, is it best to take pictures with it wet, and with or without a flash?

Is it possible that a mature (non-male pattern baldness) widow's peak is a wide V shape as opposed to more of a sideways " { " symbol (sorry it's hard to describe what I'm trying to explain) ??

I'll try posting more pictures later

zeroheat

Established Member
Reaction score
I think it's male pattern baldness. Crown looks thin and temple recession seems deeper than mature hairline.. keep a close eye on it!

Halp

Reaction score
Looks like your temples receding to me, but its nothing major at the moment and Im not really sure. Track it over the next few months or so and start making your decisions now on whether you would like to start treatment. Just in case.

Norcal88 said:
Is it possible that a mature (non-male pattern baldness) widow's peak is a wide V shape as opposed to more of a sideways " { " symbol (sorry it's hard to describe what I'm trying to explain) ??

I get you and thats what makes me think its receding, that yours is a { shape as opposed to a more V shape.

Nene

Reaction score
Def looks like male pattern baldness to me. I would hop on some meds.

Cassidy

Reaction score
Mate, your hair is not bad at all.

Do NOT jump on something like finasteride yet.

If you see it starting to get worse over the years then MAYBE ask a doctor if finasteride is a good idea.

Nene

Reaction score
Cassidy said:
Mate, your hair is not bad at all.

Do NOT jump on something like finasteride yet.

If you see it starting to get worse over the years then MAYBE ask a doctor if finasteride is a good idea.

Why the hell should he wait. I say he goes to see a doctor now and talk about taking finasteride. 21 is a not too young to start finasteride and his hair loss is considerable for his age. If he waits till he hits norwood 3v he'll be in a much worse position.

Cassidy

Reaction score
Don't listen to these guys.

Blonde people like yourself often have thinner hair than others. Just because you see a bit of thinning doesn't mean you will go bald.

finasteride WILL f*** with your hormones and testosterone.

Wait a while, man.

sergiotahini

Established Member
Reaction score
Regrowth is much harder than maintenance. Think about that when you're deciding whether or not to get on finasteride right now, or at least get a doctor's opinion about this. I wish I would have taken finasteride a year ago when I was still unsure whether or not I was balding or just had "a mature hairline." :shakehead:

treeshrew

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Looks like CLASSIC male pattern baldness to me.

Those temples are receeded pretty bad, you can see the strands clinging on for dear life, the crown is thinning too.

It's up to you what you want to do. Maybe don't do anything and see if it gets worse.

When my hair got to your level I started on finasteride/minoxidil which has completely stopped my hair loss. I just wish I had started earlier before my temples got so bad.

Vanzzzz

Established Member
Reaction score
Dude my hair loss is less than yours and I was diagnosed with male pattern baldness. Not saying that you definitely have male pattern baldness, but your crown looks pretty bad...

I would suggest finasteride asap.

deadlocks

Established Member
Reaction score
Difficult to tell, but I'd say this is male pattern baldness as well. Looks like your eventually heading to a Norwood 3V (deep recesion in the temples, and a beginning bald spot in the crown) so I'd get on medication if I were you. How is hairloss in your family?

Norcal88

Reaction score
Unfortunately yes there is some male pattern baldness in my family. I am a little hesitant to pop any pills, as I still have a year of NCAA eligibility and I don't want to jeopardize that or performance (birth control, male enhancement, and even high concentrations of caffeine are bannable with 1 year suspension). I definitely value that over a head start on treatments.

After looking at a lot of pictures, I've determined a few things. My widow's is definitely not going anywhere for awhile. If I'm looking at my hairline as an M shape, the areas that are under the temples (which are very far back) actually seem to be further forward than normal, almost above my eyebrows. Anywho, it's definitely a very odd hairline and I will most likely keep it long for as long as possible as I always have.

One question I do have is this. Of the all the men in my immediate family, I am one of a couple blondes, but I am the only one with wavy hair and a widow's peak. Is it possible (wishful thinking here) that since I dodged those genetics that I also missed out on male pattern baldness, or is that a lot more consistent

Since my light hair didn't do well with flash, here are a few in dimmer light. All input is very helpful, and I can't tell you how helpful this forum has been! Thank you for the honesty

edit: for as bad as the crown looks I'm not too worried. I've always been teased for having a "bald spot." I've seen pictures of it from years ago and it's always been pretty defined and see-through

Norcal88

Reaction score
Bump. Any ideas based on new pictures??? I'm debating between acting now, or keeping a photo-log over the next year to track it (probably no harm in starting on nizoral either).

sergiotahini

Established Member
Reaction score
The fact that you have wavy hair while others in your family have straight hair, etc., doesn't matter, nor would it matter if you had blonde hair and it so happened that the other non-balding men in your family also had blonde hair. That's just not how the genetics work.

When I first started thinking that I may be losing my hair, I would often dismiss the idea that I could have male pattern baldness and say to myself, "nah, my hair has always looked like that," and so on. Well, I was wrong. It sounds like you have more important things than hairloss going on, so good for you. Just keep an eye on it and don't delude yourself.

Norcal88

Reaction score
Yeah, I didn't think so. It's funny how easy it is to rationalize things with the mind's eye on something like a hairline.

Anyway, sorry to keep bumping this, but I really want to hear as many opinions as possible. I feel like I'm looking at different hair on a daily basis and how I'm feeling that day.

timbo

Established Member
Reaction score
Cassidy said:
Don't listen to these guys.

Blonde people like yourself often have thinner hair than others. Just because you see a bit of thinning doesn't mean you will go bald.

finasteride WILL f*ck with your hormones and testosterone.

Wait a while, man.

Blondes are actually born with as many as 30,000 more follicles on their head than brunettes.