Normal MBP or Telogen Effluvium?

Balduzer

Reaction score
Hi guys, new to this forum here but since I'm away and don't have access to my usual physician I was hoping someone could maybe shed (padum tsjj) some light on this.

I'm 25 now and started applying minoxidil when I was 23 something. I used it for just over a year and quit about 3.5 months ago. When I started I wasn't balding that much, just some slight thinning happening at my crown but nothing compared to whats going on now. I've had a lot of hairs falling out the last couple of weeks, ridiculous amounts compared to a year ago when I was just MBP shedding. All of these hairs seem to have the white bulb at the end and whilst some of them are long (I've been growing non-stop since september last year), others include short and new hairs.

I wash my hair only with water, and have been doing so for the past 8 months. Surprisingly enough, this makes my hair much less greasy (after the initial overlap period), dry and leaves it with no split ends whatsoever. Basically, healthiest hair I've ever had, yet I'm losing a ton of it.

I've read about post minoxidil Telogen Effluvium, but couldn't find too much about it unfortunately so I was hoping on getting some more information here :)

nick_17

Reaction score
The best way to diagnose that is probubly to see a dermatologist.

They can do a "Hair pull test" and see if you are loosing over 10-15% of your hair easily.
Another thing they can do is to do a scalp biopsy, which is when they take a small piece of your scalp, around 4mm and check it with a microscope.

That is what I did, and they gave me diagnose of Telogen Effluvium, and said that there is nothing to do about it.