Noticed Rapid Thinning. Advice Needed

dginoob

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi all,

I shall give a brief introduction in case it helps guide any advise I may receive. I am 37, will be 38 in a few months. My maternal grandfather and uncles went (or are going) completely bald. My paternal grandfather died last year with a full head of thick hair. My father and his brothers also show no signs of balding.

I always had thick wavy hair and my family always said I had hair like my paternal grandfathers, and that I wouldn't go bald. My brother on the other hand (just 1 year younger than me), has been going gradually bald since his 20's - he's seems to be taking it after my mothers side of the family.

Just in the past 1 year I have started to notice thinning on top, and recently at a fairly rapid rate. I took a photo of the top of my head (the part I never usually see) at the weekend, and I was quite shocked (and I have to admit upset) that I seem to have lost quite a bit.

Coincidental (or maybe not) to my recent hair loss is that I moved from the UK to Asia (Bangkok) 2 years ago. Also, during the past 2 years and around the same time I started to notice the thinning I also lost 4 nails on my right hand, only one of which has grew back properly. Not sure if these 2 facts are indeed a coincidence or if they are link to my hair loss.

So, I would now like to start some treatments to at least halt any further loss, but ideally I would love to see some regrowth. From my limited research it appears I have the following options:

1. Minoxidil shampoo
2. Finasteride tablets
3. A combination of 1+2

The side effects of Finasteride do worry me, though if I did start notice any adverse affects 'down below' I would stop immediately.

There seems to be so much advice, some contradictory, that it is very difficult for me to formulate a plan and decide what to buy/try. I would be very grateful for any advice.

Thanks

Roberto_72

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi all,

I shall give a brief introduction in case it helps guide any advise I may receive. I am 37, will be 38 in a few months. My maternal grandfather and uncles went (or are going) completely bald. My paternal grandfather died last year with a full head of thick hair. My father and his brothers also show no signs of balding.

I always had thick wavy hair and my family always said I had hair like my paternal grandfathers, and that I wouldn't go bald. My brother on the other hand (just 1 year younger than me), has been going gradually bald since his 20's - he's seems to be taking it after my mothers side of the family.

Just in the past 1 year I have started to notice thinning on top, and recently at a fairly rapid rate. I took a photo of the top of my head (the part I never usually see) at the weekend, and I was quite shocked (and I have to admit upset) that I seem to have lost quite a bit.

Coincidental (or maybe not) to my recent hair loss is that I moved from the UK to Asia (Bangkok) 2 years ago. Also, during the past 2 years and around the same time I started to notice the thinning I also lost 4 nails on my right hand, only one of which has grew back properly. Not sure if these 2 facts are indeed a coincidence or if they are link to my hair loss.

So, I would now like to start some treatments to at least halt any further loss, but ideally I would love to see some regrowth. From my limited research it appears I have the following options:

1. Minoxidil shampoo
2. Finasteride tablets
3. A combination of 1+2

The side effects of Finasteride do worry me, though if I did start notice any adverse affects 'down below' I would stop immediately.

There seems to be so much advice, some contradictory, that it is very difficult for me to formulate a plan and decide what to buy/try. I would be very grateful for any advice.

Thanks
Have you seen a dermatologist about the loss of nails? It may come from fungal infections or psoriasis. Or the lack of vitamins and minerals. If I were you, I would try and hear what a derm thinks as the two things have a timing that is indeed suspicious.

dginoob

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Roberto, I thought it was suspicious too, or maybe I am just clutching at straws not wanting to admit I am going bald.
I will try to find a dermatologist (problem is I am not living in my home country which makes things like this more difficult than it would be at home).
Thanks again.