Noticed thinning. How to proceed?

The Picard

Reaction score
Hello everyone.

I have never had really thick hair, it's always been kind of thinnish, however I believe it has started to grow thinner. I'll turn 24 next month, my hairline is intact, however I have noticed that the entire top of my head is somewhat thinner compared to the hair on the back. Also, the hair doesn't look too good wet. I don't know if that has always been the case, I haven't paid that much attention to it before, but this certainly didn't happen over night. After looking at old photos I have seen some signs of thinning on there as well. And I'm talking about 3 years back. Now I repeat, I don't know if that is just the case with my hair, or early signs of male pattern baldness, but it got me worried. When I part my hair, it does seem unusually "skinnier" and thinner than it is when I part it in the back. Again, I can't tell for certain if that was the case before, but somehow I think I would have noticed it if it was. :/
Also, I have noticed some significant? shedding (10+ hairs after I pass my hand through hair) for which I use Alpecin every 3 days and it's doing wonders; it minimizes the shedding, if not stopping it completely.
I've been to the doctor, and was told my scalp is looking clean and healthy. Was recommended hair vitamins.

The following pictures have been taken in July/August period. First two are obviously wet hair, and the last one is dry, a few days after having it cut.
hair.jpg

Considering my family history (father is 61, Norwood 5-6, lost most of it between 30-45, paternal uncle is 59, Norwood 2, maternal uncle is 58, Norwood 4) that obviously isn't too great, I would like to avoid balding, diminish the effects of it, or at the very least prolong my full head of hair for as long as possible.

I was uncertain whether or not to use any products before I start seeing some considerable loss, but after reading through everything I've just written, it seems I have no choice if I want to keep my hair, and I really do.

Now, it's obvious I will have to use minoxidil, the question is how strong and in what form. I am more drawn to the foam, since it is absorbed faster, and liquid is messier. Should I go all in with 5% and twice a day regimen, or go slowly with less % and once a day and see how it goes? I worry that if/when it loses effect, I'd be forced to move on to something stronger, and I wouldn't want to do it too soon. Would you recommend Rogaine/Regaine or a generic brand?

I suppose with it I'd have to get Nizoral, which I understand is an effective DHT blocker.

What are your opinions? Should I add anything more to my plan?

Any feedback would be much appreciated.

TD500

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Attachment isn't working for me.

You would need finasteride/dutasteride. nizoral is far too weak to actually stop hairloss, no idea where you read it was effective DHT blocker because if it was nobody would be taking propecia and risking sides. Just go with 5% minoxidil once/twice a day up to you. Twice a day for better results.

The Picard

Reaction score
Fixed it now.

Should I start using finasteride immediately or wait and see how it goes with just minoxidil?

Agustin Araujo

My Regimen
Reaction score
Should I start using finasteride immediately or wait and see how it goes with just minoxidil?

Start using Finasteride ASAP if you don't want you're hair loss to keep getting worse, that will need to be your primary treatment. There are signs of Male Pattern Baldness in the pics of your hair. Using Minoxidil is secondary and is to be used to promote better maintenance and hair growth.

TD500

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I see them now, maybe some minor thinning on top, no hairline recession which is nice. I would just do finasteride first and see where it gets me, and if your not happy then add in the minoxidil.