Number9's Story

Number9

Reaction score
Hey everyone - this is my story (I'll try to make it short):

I'm 20 years old and my hair problems started at the end of this summer (2009). Its now been about 5 months. My hair has thinned out all over and my hair-line/temple area has receded a bit (minor), and there is a small bald area on the back of my head (I can cover it up but its getting harder). the bald spot is the size of my thumb and index finger. Oh yea and my hair is falling out!!

Causes:

1) I got some blood work done and my thyroid it low. I think my thyroid it messed because I lost 35 pounds in 3 months and thats way too fast and during that time I ate very little protein. But I take meds now and the Doctor says that its gonna take about 6 months to a year for my meds to work.

2)a) Genetics: both my siblings have had major sheds when they were around my age and now their hair is normal (they went from thick to medium hair), whereas my hair has medium thickness to begin with and plus I have a thyroid problem.

b) male pattern baldness. I went to a derm and he looks at my head in like 2 minutes and he's like yea it seems like male pattern baldness (FML)

3) I also developed hives during the time that my hair started falling out and am now taking meds for it.

4) STRESS- I just started one of the most hardest dental programs in Canada

Regime:

1) finasteride (1/4). I took it for a week and ppl on this forum scared the crap out of me and I stopped for 8 days and my doctor told me that his colleagues take it and they experience no sides. I have been on it for about 2 months now and the first month my hairloss stopped and now I'm shedding a bit, which may or may not be normal. No side effects!

2) nizoral, 3 times a week but it makes my hair really dry (as a result I put this indian oil in my hair once a week to hydrate my scalp)

3) minoxidil 2% (Rogain liquid) 5 times a week, only one app.

4) Hair vitamins.

5) Nixoin Shampoo

Thanks for reading.

PS- my spelling sucks and I don't care. Also this forum as helped me A LOT in dealing with this Sh*T, so thanks to all the dudes for sharing their experiences.

timbo

Established Member
Reaction score
male pattern baldness is likely the most significant factor in your hair loss. And it looks like you are on a solid regimen. I would recommend conditioning after each nizoral use, that has helped nullify the drying effects that nizoral has on my hair.