NW2 considering a hair transplant

Uso

Reaction score
My story: Startet loosing hair since 18. Ignored it until I was 22 and a 2,5 with moderat vertex loss on the Norwood scale. Decided to go on minoxidil, nizoral and propecia and after 18 months(24 years now) I am a Norwood 2 with a mild vertex loss. I have maintained and had moderat regrowth so I am a good responder :)

Lately I have been considering a hair transplant to fill in my hairline. The vertex is not an issue cos the regrowth has been so good.

I know that im according to many people too young for a hair transplant and that my hairloss hasn't "matured" yet(all men in my family are NW5-6). If I got a hair transplant to fill in my hairline and then lost the hair behind that - then yes, I would regret it! But I would also regret not having a hair transplant and finding out 10-15 years later that the meds have stabilized and maintained my hair. Any thoughts?

El Nino

Established Member
Reaction score
It is a difficult decision and only you can decide.

I knew I had a few things in my favour before going down the hair transplant route. I knew I had favourable family history, a loose scalp, thick hair and a low hair to scalp colour contrast.

If all my male relatives were NW6 and I had thin dark hair and a tight scalp and light skin. Then I would not have gone down the surgery road.

Uso

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply :)

Here are some pics I took today:

My familiy history is not good. The only male in my family that I have known is my paternal grandad(nw1, 84 years old). All others have agressiv male pattern baldness. A thing that I have in my favor is that I have extremly thick and dense hair in the back and sides.

s.a.f

Reaction score
Cant see where exactly you'd like the hair put. I see a full head of hair.

hkoros

Reaction score
tough question, but your 20s are the most fun in your life. So it really depends on if hairloss has prevented you from enjoying life 100%. I know a couple people who did transplant in their mid-30s and they wish they did it several years earlier.

Uso

Reaction score
s.a.f said:
Cant see where exactly you'd like the hair put. I see a full head of hair.
My hairline density has decreased a lot, as you can see in the pics, so that is where I attend to put some hair. Pre meds the first cm of my hairline was almost hairless. All those thin hairs you see is regrowth:)(would say the density is back to about 50%)
I know it isnt that much of an issue compared to a lot of other guys with more advanced stages of male pattern baldness, but it bothers me anyway.

hkoros said:
tough question, but your 20s are the most fun in your life. So it really depends on if hairloss has prevented you from enjoying life 100%. I know a couple people who did transplant in their mid-30s and they wish they did it several years earlier.

Very good point. I am enyoing life but it is affecting me mentally. It is always in the back of my mind, and I cant walk beside a mirror without checking my hairline. If someone asked me what bothered my most in life at the moment I would say my male pattern baldness.
My male pattern baldness is in an early stage that is why its a tough question. Thats why I am asking someone with more expertice. If I get a hair transplant now and the meds keep my hair as it is for a long time, then its a succes. If the meds suddenly fail and I start loosing the hair behind the transplanted hairline then its a disaster. If I in my mid-30s realize that the meds have stabilized my hair then I would regret I that I didnt do it.

Anyone with an estimate of how many grafts I need to fill in the hairline?

T

TravisB

Man, people are crazy about hairlines these days. It seems that every hairline that isn't NW0 is bad.

s.a.f

Reaction score
TBH I'd expect any reputable Doctor to refuse treatment on this guy. He's like the equivalent of the 19 yr old girl who wants Botox.

mothernature

Established Member
Reaction score
^^ exactly. looking at his family history (aggressive male pattern baldness) it would be a complete farce if he got a hair transplant and used up donor hair that could later on fix a more severe problem (Norwood 4-5). What will you do when you run out of hair my friend? Unfortunately you'll have to find a way to accept it if it gets worse again.

El Nino

Established Member
Reaction score
I agree with the others, I don't think you have lost enough hair yet for a hair transplant.

But I do agree with you that your donor hair looks good.

Primo

Experienced Member
Reaction score
jamie-foxx-1.jpg

I'm guessing this is what he wants? a "natural" looking hairline? :woot: