NW2 since birth, aggressive hair loss, PICS

elmechanico

Reaction score
Hello and thank you for taking the time to read my post.

Over the past few months my hair loss has absolutely consumed me. I've become obsessed with checking out my hairline at all times and analyzing my hair.
I am currently 18 years old and my hair loss started in October 2013.
I experienced the increase in shedding right after taking high doses of Vitamin B5 in order to cure my acne(a quick google search reveals that his side effect is supposedly experienced by quite a few people; one of the forum threads that show up is this one: http://www.acne.org/messageboard/topic/323948-vitamin-b5-hairloss-cured-pictures/ ).
After just two weeks of taking Vitamin B5 I started shedding more hair than usual.
The hair loss has continued up until now.

Here is a summary of what happened:

-Experienced hair shedding after taking Vitamin B5 and the Antibiotic Minocycline; immediately dropped both
-Afterwards for the first time in my life I experienced dry scalp, scales and dandruff. I went to a dermatologist and he said it was Seborrheic Dermatitis.
I was prescribed Nizoral, told to wash less often and given a corticosteroid cream. None of it really helped
-A blood test revealed I am borderline anemic and hypothyroid
-Hair gradually started to thin out at the hairline. My sides and back are still very thick but my temples are clearly receding and getting thinner.
-I have taken many supplements as I thought I may have caused a Vitamin imbalance from the B5. Supplements include: Omega 3, Iron, Zinc, Copper, Vitamin B Complex, Biotin, Thiamine and Probiotics. My overall health has probably improved from these supplements and my hair is very healthy and thick everywhere but on my hairline. I eat a healthy diet with a lot of fruit, protein and also drink a lot of water. I do not eat sweets or drink sodas nor do I drink alcohol or smoke
-I have many fine vellus hairs along my hairline but I am not sure if these are just miniaturized hairs or actual regrowth.
-I am not actually sure if my hair loss is due to Telogen Effluvium, male pattern baldness, a Scalp condition or all three. There is not much family history of balding in my family. A high forehead seems to run on the mother's side of my family though.

I have included pictures of my hairline through the years below. I know it doesn't look like it has changed much but in real life there is a big difference. My hairline is thin all over and when you pull back the hair, you can see lots of short hair at the temples.
My question is, should I jump on the big 3? Or is there anything else I can do?

PS: Some pictures seem to be mirrored from my webcam. The more receded temples is my right temple and I style my hair from right to left to cover it up
Thanks for reading it all and I am very interested in hearing your opinions.
Stay strong my friends

As A child:

29bk4er.png

At 15:
20hnarc.jpg

At 17:
25j9r29.png

My hair styled at 17:
281bssl.png

My right temple now:
2w71zf7.png

My left temple:
24v8awl.png

Full hairline now, wet:
f1i8fp.png

elmechanico

Reaction score
So, mature hairline = aggressive hair loss now. Thanks for the heads up.

No offense but you have no idea how much hair I've been shedding. I have never experienced hair loss or shedding of any kind until last October.
Every time I sit at my desk and run my hand through my hair there is lots of hair. When I shower, I lose at least 20 strands every time. Every time I use hair gel I end up with 10 hairs on my hands. I have used hair gel and wax for many years but I have never had hair stuck on my hands after applying it.
When I stand close to a mirror I can see every single hair on it's own in my hairline. You may not see this on the pictures but my scalp is fully visible through my hairline.
Before that I had very thick hair and you could not see my scalp at all.
I am just trying to catch this before I lose any more hair and wanted some advice from people who have gone through a similiar process.
I don't think the shedding will stop at all if I don't start any treatments. My temples have become very thin and before I go to a dermatologist to discuss my options with him, I wanted to know what you guys thought about my situation and could tell me what really works and what doesn't. I also wanted some input if it was maybe too early to jump on Finasteride, a hormone altering drug, at age 18 when my body is still not fully developed.

So you can keep your condescending and derogatory comments to yourself, all I am trying to do is not end up like you needing a hair transplant. I do not mean to be rude in any way but that is the simple truth.

elmechanico

Reaction score
First of all, thank you for your answers.

I have read, also on this forum, that there is no such thing as a mature hairline and that it is male pattern baldness all the same.
Regarding Finasteride, is it a good idea to use it at age 18? I would say I am a late bloomer and not fully developed yet

Notcoolanymore

Reaction score
I use finasteride and usually recommend it as long as the user understands the potential sides he may get. At age 18 though...that is kind of pushing it. I would say hold off for a couple of years at least and see if you can hold ground with just minoxidil. That is just my opinion. We may have guys in here that have taken it since 18 that will say otherwise. Good luck with whatever you decide.

zzzzz

My Regimen
Reaction score
you cant be a norwood 2 since birth. its called a widows peak. Just because your temple is a nanometer behind the middle of your hairline doesn't mean you are a nw2.... just lol

elmechanico

Reaction score
Just took some more pics. I am seeing a lot of short hair around my hairline, so I am either regrowing a lot or have a lot of miniaturization.
I can literally see all these empty follicles on my scalp. I hope you can see what I mean with thinning in these pictures

21l7i1i.png

29f5zr4.png

I am playing with the thought of buzzing it so I have to wash my hair less and not use styling products/blow dryers which would hopefully drastically improve the condition of my scalp and make it easier for hair to grow there. Also it would make it easier to apply castor oil and minoxidil if I do decide to start treatment.

Do I have a similar hairline to this guy?
BuzzFrazerHarrisonC.jpg

Bassist

Reaction score
Yes, your hairline is similar to that guy's, except you don't have a widow's peak. But seriously man, to be honest, for now I would just stick with minoxidil for a little while...I'm not sure you even have male pattern baldness, and by the way, mature hairlines DO exist...I've seen a fair number of men who simply have naturally high temples who never lose all of their hair. Of course, if push comes to shove, you can take finasteride if you really want to. For now, just keep an eye on it, but I don't think your hair loss is anything severe or noticeable at least at this point.