Nwinfinity's Story - (20)

nwinfinity

Reaction score
Hello, I'm 20 years old and noticed my hairline has been slowly receding in the temples since I was about 17 . Nobody has ever commented on it, probably because I wear my hair long. However I think about it all the time (counterproductive, I know) and have noticed it has receded really far back on my head the past year or so.

As for shedding I had a lot maybe a year ago but it stopped probably around last November. Now I can run my hands through my hair and maybe one or two will fall out at most but usually nothing. Don't notice any loss in the shower either.

About one month I became aware of thinning on the top of my head as well as my crown but that could have been there a long time... I have been so focused on just watching my hairline that I wasn't looking for it. Because I stopped shedding I assumed that I must just have a mature hairline like everyone on my moms side developed around my age. To this day none of them ranging from 45 to 75 have gone bald. The thinning on top though has me worried I may have my dads curse of male pattern baldness. Every male in his family has it!

I saw a derm 3-4 months ago and he said my roots looked ok and just to watch it.. He also gave me this stuff called Triamcinolone to rub on my temples to help "stimulate the growth" (doesn't seem to be doing anything) but he mentioned he could get me on a stronger medication if it does not stabilize. I assume he's talking about finasteride. I'm trying to get an appointment again with him as soon as I can but I would greatly appreciate any feedback you all could provide. Browsing these forums have been a great help for me.

Now for my questions,

1) does this look like male pattern baldness, or could it be a mature hairline + thinning that will stop. I as I said earlier many of the men on my mom's side have similar hairlines and have yet to go bald even at their old age.

2) I do not want to get on a commitment like rogain if I don't have to. Is there anything I can take to help stop hairloss/thicken hair? I've heard mixed things about Nizoral shampoo, does it help on its own or only as a supplement?

3) Would I be a good candidate for finasteride? I would be happy with just maintaining what I have and possibly growing in thicker/healthier hairs that do not make my hairline so ugly to look at.

4) What am I? a NW2-3?

These pictures with the lighting and flash don't do my hair any justice but it appears to pretty much everyone I know that I have a full head of hair. I want to stop it if it is going to get worse but I don't want to jump on finasteride if I don't need it and make things worse possibly. I'd shave it bald before I get to looking like Nicholas Cage or someone but at 20 years I would rather not have to change my image. Please share your thoughts!

Attachments

• IMG00385.jpg
    IMG00385.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 208
  • IMG00386.jpg
    IMG00386.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 185
  • IMG00387.jpg
    IMG00387.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 197
  • IMG00388.jpg
    IMG00388.jpg
    171.2 KB · Views: 197
  • IMG00399.jpg
    IMG00399.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 181
  • IMG00403.jpg
    IMG00403.jpg
    280.6 KB · Views: 194

iwantperfection

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Re: nwinfinity's story

Unfortunately yes you have inherited your dads male pattern baldness. First off i would get a haircut. long and thin hair is not a good look. Rogaine and finasteride are your best bet. Nizoral shampoo aswell.

good luck

flamingpie

Established Member
Reaction score
your hair situation looks very similar to mine.
I recently jumped onto the nizoral+rogaine regime. Its only been four weeks so i cant say its effective yet, but ill keep you posted. It might be the right regime for the both of us, we'll see.

pirate101

Reaction score
Mate im in exatly the same boat as you, I wear my hair long and the receding looks exactly the same. im glad to find someone going through the same thing.
ive been using propecia for 1 1/2 months. going through the shed at the moment but im hopeful for results. let us know how you get on.

nwinfinity

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies! I will be updating shortly. Haven't forgotten this forum, I have been very busy lately. Pirate hang on with the finasteride man and let me know how it works for you. I'm actually pretty sure my thinning is soley in the temples as there doesnt appear to be minaturization on top. I think its a cowlick and I was pushing back my hair (being paranoid). I want to avoid a commitment like rogane and I am waiting on some blood tests to hop on finasteride.

treeshrew

Experienced Member
Reaction score
i think your hair looks fine at that length, i'm sure it covers up the temples, and as you said you've barely got any thinning on the crown.

i started finasteride right about where you're at, maybe a bit worse on the crown, and i've totally maintained and thickened up since then.

rogaine is really not much of a commitment. i apply foam once a day before bed, it's faster than brushing my teeth and dries instantly.

comp85

Reaction score
Hey man, Your story is just like mine. I maintained what your current hair looks like up until the age of 23 when I started noticing some thinning in the crown. It was only noticeable by me but I wanted to catch it early so I started propecia 2 months ago. I advise you to do the same. I have yet to experience the full results but my hair has already improved a lot. Good luck

WorldofWarcraft

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Hate to break the news but your male pattern baldness is pretty bad man. Especially at your age. I do not recommend what other posters have suggested.... keeping your hair long and doing a bald-spot comb over on your temples. Let's not kid ourselves, you got a temple comb over.

Once you shave your head your confidence will jump 100% and you will get hit on by a ton of chicks.