Oarf11's Story - (20 / I'm paranoid)

oarf11

Established Member
Reaction score
About last December I noticed this little pea sized white spot on the the left side of my hairline. I was worried at first, but it hasn't changed in shape or size since then. I just thought it was something random on my scalp.

This past June, I notice a an odd looking patch of hair on the top, left side of my head. It's looked the same since then. Now in about August, I noticed a patch of thin looking hair on the back left corner of my head, up near the crown. I keep my hair usually pretty short since it has always been fine, but when it grows out this patch on the side looks (to me at least) noticeably thinner. To other people, it's really only noticeable when they closely examine my hair.

I'm only 20 yrs old, so this is naturally making me pretty paranoid. I've noticed that my head seems to be more oily than usual, and I seem to have dandruff, which I never noticed before.

I recently visited HC for Men to take advantage of their free analysis, but that proved to be a big money scheme, big surprise. The girl I met with said my hair looked thick, and looked at my follicles looked a bit constricted in one of my spots of concern. She then said she would classify my "hair loss" as a 2, on a scale of 1-10. After this she recommended I immediately (as in before leaving the office) being a $3,500 treatment program. She did everything she could to get me to sign up for it before I left her office. It was very clear she didn't have my best interests in mind.

Since I began noticing this over the summer, I've been noticing tickling feelings almost all over my head, and I have the urge to 1. pull hairs out from that area (because it feels like they're coming out already) or 2. run my hand through my head to knock out any loose hairs. I'm now wondering however if this is become some kind of nervous habit/addiction.

I was just wondering what this might sound like to some of you guys on here, and whether or not anyone had advice? I guess seeing a dermatologist would be the most logical step. The only problem is that I'm away at school for most of the year, and there aren't any dermatologists here with my insurance that can get me in ASAP. Does anyone know how a dermatologist would go about diagnosing causes of hair loss? I could pay for an $80 checkup out of pocket, but I wouldn't want to foot the bill for testing worth hundreds if my insurance might do it.

Any help/advice/comments would be appreciated. Thank you.

oarf11

Established Member
Reaction score
Is it strange that there are odd looking patches throughout my head? There isn't really a center hair loss per say, but rather just a couple random spots that look a bit off.