Oblivious, Determined, Defeated - That is my story

piacere

Reaction score
For years the various barbers I got my haircut from would comment on my hair, how thick it was and how I'm going to have it for a long time. I'm not sure if they all told that to all of their customers, but back then I would have agreed with them. I did have good hair. Oddly enough back then I hated my hair.

Fast forward February 2012, age 22, six months after starting my first job and at the peak of our firm's busy season. I remember one day specifically playing with my hair in frustration with how late I had been staying at work that week and noticing how much further my hairline was than I thought it was. I did what I'd imagine the normal person would do, and I freaked out and went to the doctor for preventative measures. I was given propecia, which I began about a month later. The funny thing is I can't remember if I actually had a lot of hairloss before starting propecia. But from the first day of use to today as I am writing this (approximately 14 months), I have had constant shedding and thinning of hair. Here is a quick timeline:

March 2012: Start Propecia
September 2012: I joined Health Club (minoxidil, stupid *** laser comb, organic shampoo, vitamins)
March 2013: Added Regenepure (keto shampoo)
April 2013: Horrible results, considering dropping everything

Like I said above, I have had a constant shed since I began treatment 14 months ago. Since I started using minoxidil, my hairline has receded four times as quickly, but I also notice tiny *** hairs. I believe this just to be miniaturization and thus not a gain. The only time my hair has not shed ~100 (I'm conservative) hairs a day is a few days after I get it cut and my barber really scrubs my hair and aggressively dries it with a towel.

The first picture is me before I started work in 2011. The second one is 6 months into propecia when I joined Hair Club and started minoxidil. The last three were taken April 2013, 14 months in. Keep in mind that my hair in 2013 compared to 2011 is nearly 3 times as long.

Anyways, that's my story. I don't see just the shedding to stop anytime soon given my track record thus far, so I plan on just dropping my regime end of May and giving up completely. I'm tried of watching my hair fall out. I'm tired of finding hair in my food. I'm tired of watching the hairs that fall out get thinner and thinner to the point where they are hard see. I'm just over it. DGAF.

2011.jpg2012 Sept.jpg2013 April.1.jpg2013 April.2.jpg2013 April.3.jpg

talmoode

Experienced Member
Reaction score
hi sorry to hear that you are constantly losing your hair. Like you, I started my regime Feb last year and shed non stop since. My hairline looks worst ever and hair on top is getting thinner and thinner. It takes me hours to style my hair in the morning before going to work. I have thought about quitting the treatments cold turkey hundreds times but what else is out there to stop the hair loss? I've heard that it takes more than 2 years for some people before they see any positive results. So I will wait and see another year..Don't give up yet...Good luck, mate!

WarLord

Established Member
Reaction score
If you still lose hair, then finasteride is not effective. I will bet that you have done no blood tests of your DHT, so it is not possible to say, what's happening in your body, and if finasteride does anything. If I didn't do any blood testing, I would be wasting many future months on this stuff. It turned out that it had been ineffective since the very beginning.

piacere

Reaction score
If you still lose hair, then finasteride is not effective. I will bet that you have done no blood tests of your DHT, so it is not possible to say, what's happening in your body, and if finasteride does anything. If I didn't do any blood testing, I would be wasting many future months on this stuff. It turned out that it had been ineffective since the very beginning.

Where can I get a blood test of this sort?

abutton

Reaction score
Your hair looks good. You really should stop worrying about it, constant fretting will only exasperate your problems and the perpetual anxiety.
From your pictures you've a good 'mature' hairline. Just continue with finasteride to keep what you've got, maybe even try dutasteride if you're willing to go into uncharted territory and want more coverage.

Kirby

Established Member
Reaction score
It would be handy if you told us what country you are from, WarLord (I'm assuming the US).

talmoode

Experienced Member
Reaction score
But is the name of the test, and what is it even testing?

It is blood test. Just ask you doctor to do DHT level and testosterone test on you..