OliverOliver's Story - (20 /Are we the problem?)

OliverOliver

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm Oliver. I'm 20 years old, and I guess I have an 'NW2' or whatever the technical term is, but that chart is so confusing and everyone's hair is so different it's pretty difficult to pin down what I am... I have some general thinning all over, in particular a patch to the back/right of my crown but not too severe yet, and some receeding on the temples.

I came here because I'm panicking. I'm in serious shock, like every dude is when they discover they're balding. Plus I only turned 20 a couple of months ago, and all my mates have thick heads of hair and I'm getting seriously paranoid.

But the reason I'm getting upset is because of the way society is. Everyone is so focused on image and 'flaws', and the process of balding (much more so than actually being 'bald' itself) is so terrifying that I was like, ok, I need to talk to people. I need to be around guys who are going to tell me this is OK, and kind of be a support system! A confidence builder etc.

But I read through loads of topics on here, and everyone is so focused on medication and treatments. And people use terms like "Yeah it's bad dude but it's not too bad yet," and, "Just be thankful that you caught it early." Caught what early?! It's not cancer! Nobody's going to die! You didn't catch it when you were searching for lumps or having a CT at the hospital, you just looked in the mirror!

What I'm trying to say, I guess, is that I was really hoping to enter into a community of people embracing each other for who they are. And instead, everyone is on their own mission to hide who they are. To take hormone altering treatments that literally change the chemicals inside you.

I always pray that the next big movie star will be bald, or the next model on the cover of Vogue. But how can Vogue and Hollywood be expected to embrace bald, when we can't even embrace it? There's thousands of us! If we all just shaved our heads and said, "Hey you know what, this is fricking normal and it always has been," instead of rubbing chemical shampoo into our last tufts of hair I think we could really make a change.

I know this won't happen. I know that one person can't change the world's perception of baldness, it's going to take all of us, but I hope that by doing so maybe the idea of going bald won't be as traumatising for our kids and grandkids and great grandkids! I'd rather just make it NORMAL now!

Sorry for the whole soap box / high horse thing. I get that I'm only 20 and some of you guys have dealt with it for a long time. But we really could change people's ideas if we all did it.

Thanks for listening to the rant! Good luck everyone. Just be happy and be proud of who you are! Nobody is any better than any one else, no matter how tall or hairy or rich or smart they are! :)

BodyDysmorphic

Reaction score
Re: Are we the problem?

just curious

are you going to start hair loss treatments when you start becoming more than NW2?

hair is a sign of youth and vitality in society today

that wont change and will probably be more indoctrinated with time

i agree with your point though and well said

maybe just optimistic words from a NW2 (no male pattern baldness)

thank you for your inspirational post though

cheers mate

OliverOliver

Reaction score
Like I said, I don't fully understand the NW2 thing... but my dad is completely bald, as are my grandfathers on both sides of the family, so I will most definitely be completely bald soon enough. I just don't want to be always looking over my shoulder out of fear that people can see my bald patch.

I'm just going to shave the whole thing off for summer, and kind of liberate myself from the paranoia that people are looking at me! If I'm completely bald out of choice, what are people going to say? Dude, you're bald? Wow, thanks for telling me!

:)

nerdwood

Established Member
Reaction score
Great attitude you've got . :bravo:

Have you checked out the slybaldguys site? Those dudes have a similar way of thinking.

h82bebald

Established Member
Reaction score
thats a positive way of thinking. when my baldness really became noticeable, I shaved it off completely also. Its a good way of getting used to yourself being bald. I can't even go a couple of days without shaving my head. I'm only growing it out currently so I can post up some pics of myself before I start the big 3. I think in my situation it helps that I have a young face even though I'm pretty much bald.

OliverOliver

Reaction score
Thanks for the website tip Nerdwood! :)

I saw a photo of myself last night from a 'bad' angle (it's a bad angle however you look at it, I must have had about five chins haha) and my bald patch has gotten more noticeable. I shall be commencing le shave asap! :)

Good luck everyone.

Curious108

Established Member
Reaction score
While what you're saying is a nice attitude, you have to accept that some people just don't want to be bald and that's up to them.

Baldness itself is embraced, plenty of bald men are on tv and in movies and no one has a problem with them.

What people here have a problem with is losing their hair against their will, when they were happy and comfortable with themselves while having hair. No one wants something to alter their appearance against their will.

For me I don't think I'd suit being bald. I express myself and diversify my look through my hair style, it would take alot away from me to lose it. I see guys on tv etc whom really suit the bald look and I admire/envy that, I think bald is a great look for some people.

Its just not for me, and it's not something I'd be happy with hence my presence here- Not because I think baldness is horrible or bad. Just bad for me.