Oliving's Story - (sudden hair loss issues.)

oliving

Reaction score
Hi hairlosstalk forums! It's my first post here, and I hope I can get some advice from you all.

I'm a 20 year old male struggling with relatively sudden hairloss. For maybe a month or so I have been noticing my hair falling out while I am washing it. I don't really notice any hair on my pillow in the morning, and I just checked and just found one.

My grandfather on both my parents side have hair, and my mother's brother has hair too. My father is starting to bald, but it's been gradual and he had a full head of hair at my age, we have only begun to notice hair loss on him for the past couple years.

My hair is about 6 or more inches long, and if I hold a little up I can see my scalp through it. I don't know if this is normal as I didn't really check before I thought I was losing hair.

I usually wash my hair every day, but today I didn't wash my hair and if I run my hands through it, I get 1-3 strands usually. I ran my hands through my hair over the bathroom counter for a minute or two, and hair literally falls out. I figure this is what is going down the drain while I wash my hair, while all I see is the hair that gets on my hands.

something I find odd is that on my hairline I have hair that is about two inches long. This is really confusing as I haven't cut it or anything. Could this be hair that has fallen out a while ago and is growing back? My hair is also more frizzy than it used it be, which is due to shorter hairs.

A key issue is my diet. I have been a vegetarian for several years however I drank milk and ate soy "meat" products regularly. Both of these are high in protein.

Lately, for a few months or longer, I have stopped drinking cow's milk and began to drink Almondmilk, which has 1g of protein compared to 9gs from cow milk. I also stopped eating the soy products, not for any reason in particular (i guess i got tired of them). Basically my diet has been terrible for a while, mostly carbs or just whatever. I don't really like beans or nuts, so they have not been part of my diet either. I WILL eat fish (not a vegetarian anymore) but that is very rarely, maybe once a week if I go out to eat and there is no vegetarian dish I like.

After evaluating this and doing research online I probably am lacking a lot of vitamins. I am eating beans and nuts now, and more soy. I have also been taking a multivitamin (Mega Men) and Biotin for about a week.

Hair loss from a vitamin deficiency happens in drastic shedding as I understand it. More hair than usual becomes dormant and the new hairs push the old out from underneath, resulting in shedding. If this is the case I guess I will lose a lot of hair soon from taking the vitamins, as the new hair will grow back quicker.

As I understand it male pattern baldness is usually a gradual process, however my hair is falling out pretty rapidly. As I said, if I run my hands through my hair I get 1-3 strands just from that. It could be an aggressive case of male pattern baldness, but given my family's history and my poor diet, I am looking for other causes first. Do people with male pattern baldness notice hair loss like this? Just from running their fingers through their hair?

I attached a picture of my forehead at the end of the post. My hair is pulled back, but if left alone my bangs reach my upper lip. You can see the short hairs on my hair line, which are leaving me very confused. You can definitely see my scalp as well. I have noticed more hair loss on the left than on the right if that means anything. The left is also the side i part my hair.

Sorry for this huge post! I think that about covers it, and I am wondering what you all think about my situation. I definitely have been noticing hair loss especially in the shower, and just running my hands through my hair. While it seems a vitamin deficiency is rare, I haven't eaten a normal diet for a while. Thanks for any advice, I would really like to find out a little more about this.

Attachments

• hair.jpg
    hair.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 188

andrei_eremenko

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Re: Oliving's sudden hair loss issues.

i remember too that day when i asked mt dad to cut a bit my fringe...and he said to me:you have a hole in your head(lack of hair)i was thinking that is joking...now i have almost he same hair that he has at 55...my hair is thinning diffuselly...slowly...without shedding...but you are maybe lucky...and it is from vitamins lack...