One Last Push Before Giving Up (age 40)

Nearly40

My Regimen
Reaction score
So my 40th birthday is literally a day away. So I guess I'm older than most on this site. Anyways, I started noticing my hair thinning in my late 20's, hit the Rogaine for a while, and it worked according to a few comments I was getting. For whatever reason I stopped using. Anyways skipped forward 10 or so years, and my hair is very thin on top. I have a few pics I will upload. I tried the Rogaine again in January of 2016 but got lazy and stopped around June, even though the lady that cuts my hair had commented my hair was looking a bit thicker. A few weeks ago I decided to give it one last push with a regimen I saw on someone's personal blog. On March 17 I started with the Minoxidil twice daily. About a week later I received some Lipogain (sorry if I'm not supposed to mention brand names. I use the Lipogain in the morning and the cheaper stuff at night. I also use Trichogen spray about midday after I workout and shower. I also just started using a multivitamen, saw palmetto, and a MSM supplement daily. I also use the Nizoral shampoo every other day, rotating with a caffeine shampoo. Also, I am awaiting my Finasteride (1mg daily) to arrive.

It is very early but I have a couple pics, first from March 17(start date) and one from today March 29. Gonna try and track my progress with a little help. Also I really wanna dump these photos off my phone so my wife doesn't think I'm looney tunes for having "crown of head" selfies in with the photos of my kids

Attachments

• march 17.JPG
    march 17.JPG
    37.4 KB · Views: 472
  • march 29.JPG
    march 29.JPG
    39.7 KB · Views: 453

Roberto_72

My Regimen
Reaction score
Your regimen is solid BUT it seems you have skipped treatment for too long to hope dormant follicles are now resuscitated.

All you can hope is that the follicles close to the few strands you have are somehow recuperabile.

A question: what have you done so far? Why no treatment until 40?

Nearly40

My Regimen
Reaction score
I have used rogaine in the past twice, once in my late 20's to early 30's, and then again last year for 6 months in my very late 30's. It worked well, particularly the first time. I just got lazy and stopped. I was just considering shaving it, when I came across this person's blog and it inspired me to give it one more try. I have never tried the finasteride or the other vitamins or shampoo.

Nearly40

My Regimen
Reaction score
Been a month ( I think) since I started Minoxidil. About 3 weeks on saw palmetto, multivitamin, and MSM. Also used trichogen spray maybe 1-2 times daily. Also, I have been on 1 mg of finpecia daily, taken before bed for 11 days. So, everybody likes to see photos and it helps me keep track as well so here goes a couple. Hopefully lighting is good. Is it worth it to keep fighting? Should I just shave it clean or go with the Terry Bradshaw power doughnut. I know, patience, patience, patience

Attachments

• Hair 1 april 2017.JPG
    Hair 1 april 2017.JPG
    41.4 KB · Views: 311
  • Hair 2 april 2017.JPG
    Hair 2 april 2017.JPG
    38 KB · Views: 317

Nearly40

My Regimen
Reaction score
These pics were taken May 17, though I'm just getting them up here a week later. About two months in on the minoxidil, and vitamin regiment as well trichogen. About 1.5 months of finpecia. Tell me what you think

Attachments

• Hair May 17.JPG
    Hair May 17.JPG
    62.9 KB · Views: 281

Nearly40

My Regimen
Reaction score
For what its worth, my wife and the woman that cuts my hair have said they notice some thickening. Of course wives are supposed to be encouraging and people who cut your hair want to continue cutting your hair instead of having me just shave it off myself. But I told myself I would give this a solid year of heavy effort, I'm only a couple months in

Bagels

Established Member
Reaction score
You'll never get a young mans density and line back but you I've seen people with similar balding grow back quite a lot with finasteride/minoxidil but you can't skip days

Grasshüpfer

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I would buzz it down, take photos, give the treatments a year or two and then check back with photos.

Will look cleaner and younger and maybe something grows back, then you can surprise yourself a few years down the road. ;)