only_glass's story

only_glass

Reaction score
Hello there,

I'll try to make this brief. My name is Darren, I'm 19, and I'm from the UK. I started to notice that I was losing my hair last year - around June, a few weeks after my uni exams had ended. One day, I saw some hair (more than usual) lying in the bath after I had washed my hair. This is when it started, essentially. For the next few weeks, I became very aware of hair falling out in the bath, hair falling out when I used a comb, hair falling out when I was watching tv, or reading, or whatever. At first, because I couldn't see any recession at the front, I assumed I was going bald at the back, and so would spend quite a lot of time taking pictures of the top of my head with my camera phone in an attempt to figure out what was going on. Near the end of June, I told my parents about what I thought was going on. They couldn't see any signs of hair loss.

In July, I went to the doctor - a GP, not a dermatologist or anything like that. He couldn't see anything either - at this stage I was pretty much in denial, and just wanted him to tell me what I wanted to hear, so I didn't dare point out the (quite minor) recession I had noticed at the front. He told me that the hair in the bath and whatnot was maybe down to stress. I got blood tests, the results of which were negative. Apparently, nothing was wrong with me.

As the summer went on, I got increasingly depressed. Like, really, really depressed. I won't go into the details in this post, but you know what I mean - I hated having to leave the house, I struggled to be cheerful around friends, I sat in my room a lot mourning the passing of my youth.

At the start of September, I went to another GP, who couldn't see much evidence of hair loss, but acknowledged that my hair was a bit thinner at the front. Seemingly to put my mind at rest, she got me an appointment to see a dermatologist.

September to January - extremely depressed, and this was getting in the way of my studies (I actually did well in the exams, though; how this happened, I'll never know).

After a wait of a few months, I finally got to see the dermatologist in late January. He didn't say anything new, really. Apparently, a lot of guys my age go through this, and it's nothing to be worried about. He spoke to me about Propecia, and, while he acknowledged its ability to halt hair loss (and sometimes even stimulate regrowth), he said that I don't need it. Apparently, I should come back to him in "a couple of years" (by this time, I can assure you, things would be VERY different) - in the meantime, I ought not to worry.

I should have showed him photos of me from a couple of summers ago, even from last year, where you can clearly see where my hairline was before the loss started. I also should have brought him a bag containing the hair I'd lost over the past week. A little drastic, maybe, but at least he would have got the point.

I now dread washing my hair. Going out is hell, especially when there's any sign of wind (I can get my hair to look alright when I'm inside, but the wind ruins it). It's affecting my friendships too - sometimes I will cancel arrangements I've made on the morning of the night I'm supposed to go out, because I feel unable to face the world. Shaving it off is not an option; I would look absolutely terrible.

My options are as follows:

a.) Propecia/Proscar - I don't know whether a GP can prescribe Propecia, though, and I can't imagine going back to the dermatologist and asking him for a prescription would do me much good (although maybe if he saw the old photos, he would change his mind).

b.) A wig.

c.) Running away.

Doesn't help that I have low self-esteem either, and it's somewhat cruel that, just after I finally bring myself to look in the mirror (after years of loathing the way I look because of my acne), something as devastating as hair loss comes along.

flimflam

Experienced Member
Reaction score
darren

mate.. i know exactly how you feel, my story reads a bit similar.

especially about the whole end-of-your-youth thing. maybe I got it a bit easier cos i'm 26, i dunno..

Simply: If you are losing your hair, you should do something about it as soon as possible. It's so much easier to retain than to regrow. If you can't get a doctor to prescribe you some, just buy the stuff online yourself.

Doctors are generally f*****g useless, mine hadn't even heard of Propecia or how it works - I had to explain everything. Even then she said my hairloss wasn't "too bad". Haha, pure BS. Make another appointment, change doctors if you're not happy, and be quite insistent. Tell them you *are* losing your hair and you *are* going to take drugs to stop it and you'd prefer if it was with their blessing.

But maybe you're overreacting, I don't know! :). What I think you should do is post some photos of your hair from all angles in good lighting. Also post some older ones from a couple of years ago like you said.

Believe me when I say the people on here know a sh*t load more about hairloss, and its signs, than your average doctor or dermatologist. So you'll get honest feedback here and good advice.

I know you feel down at the moment, but I bet no one has noticed anything dodgy with your hair. You feel bad because you know it's going to get worse, right? Once you get on the pills, the fact that you're doing something about it and you *know* it's only going to get better will totally lift your spirits mate.

In the meantime, the easiest thing you can do is go buy some Nizoral or Nizorelle. You can usually find it in Boots or Sainsburys. Use something like 3x a week and leave the shampoo on your head for a few minutes in the shower.

get snapping :p

antonio666

Reaction score
only glass,

i feel for you bro.

first off gp's in england are sh*t,they know a little about everything and are masters at nothing,my gp is about 36,balding like norwood 7 and told me that i wasn't losing hair,but then sais so what if you are losing your hair,it is not a problem in the slightest,loook at me he said it has never held me back.I nearly told him there and then that he looked like ET'S
older brother,i mean this guy looked awful.

anyway i agree with filmflam ,demand your propecia,do not take no for an anwser

Itsonlyinmyhead

Established Member
Reaction score
Dude, I know how you feel, I had really bad acne when I was younger, it took me years to get over that, then my hair receeded while I was on drugs for the acne and kinda stayed stationary for a few years though now its thinning like mad and has been for a year or more.

BUT

I got used to it.

1/ Im not getting Hair Transplants because they look sh*t and the long term survival of these is not known.

2/Wigs look ridiculous

3/Dont touch minoxidil as it is very dodgy

4/Buzz your head, then eventually shave it

5/do some exercise this will make you feel better