Opinion on hairline; Wondering if Finasteride is needed for me

Reaction score
Hello all,

I just wanted an opinion on what many of you think I should do. I am 23 years-old and have been monitoring my hairline for a while now. My family history is worse on my dad's side as he and two of his brothers are bald. One brother has good hair.

Anyways I have noticed my hairline change a little over the years, especially in the corners and temple area. I've read that this is usually normal when aging but still aren't sure if it will worsen or just 'mature' and remain in tact.

I've always been interested in learning more about finasteride and have heard good things. I know it doesn't help the hairline as much but I would definitely be willing to try it. The problem is in Canada you need a prescription for that and my doctor won't give any to me since she claims my hair is fine. I can't help but continue to be nervous and stress out about it.

I wanted opinions. Here are some most recent photos. It's hard to tell but on the right side of my head it seems to be a bit thinner than my left side... which is weird to me. Also the hairs on the right side of the temple look thinner and I dont know if that means I will lose the hair there eventually or not.

Photo on 2015-09-21 at 9.44 AM.jpgPhoto on 2015-09-21 at 9.44 AM #2.jpgPhoto on 2015-09-21 at 9.45 AM.jpg

Thanks everyone. Comments would be appreciated.
I hope that no one posts anything sarcastic. I am fully aware that it's not the worst it can be but I still want some useful insight.

g.i joey

Reaction score
You're hair is nice dude.. unless it is thin anywhere or gets worse than what it is now I wouldn't worry.. I mean it's smart to be proactive but you're not at a point where you have lost any hair yet..

Reaction score
Appreciate the responses.
I guess it takes someone else or others to actually help out and give advice.
Yeah I mean I'll keep an eye on it for sure moving forward and if it worsens I'll take that step.

jbrog1987

Established Member
Reaction score
Looks like a NW1 hairline to me. Not perfectly straight across (your's is slightly rounded/angled) but not all NW1's are. As they say "continue to monitor" but at this point i'm not sure you have any signs of male pattern baldness whatsoever.

hairlifted

Established Member
Reaction score
Really thick hair, if your hairline doesnt move up any noticeable amount in the next few years thats probably one of those genuine mature hairlines. I've noticed some guys have always had that v shaped, from their 20s to their 40s and 50s.

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
Hello all,

I just wanted an opinion on what many of you think I should do. I am 23 years-old and have been monitoring my hairline for a while now. My family history is worse on my dad's side as he and two of his brothers are bald. One brother has good hair.

Anyways I have noticed my hairline change a little over the years, especially in the corners and temple area. I've read that this is usually normal when aging but still aren't sure if it will worsen or just 'mature' and remain in tact.

I've always been interested in learning more about finasteride and have heard good things. I know it doesn't help the hairline as much but I would definitely be willing to try it. The problem is in Canada you need a prescription for that and my doctor won't give any to me since she claims my hair is fine. I can't help but continue to be nervous and stress out about it.

I wanted opinions. Here are some most recent photos. It's hard to tell but on the right side of my head it seems to be a bit thinner than my left side... which is weird to me. Also the hairs on the right side of the temple look thinner and I dont know if that means I will lose the hair there eventually or not.

View attachment 35599View attachment 35600View attachment 35601

Thanks everyone. Comments would be appreciated.
I hope that no one posts anything sarcastic. I am fully aware that it's not the worst it can be but I still want some useful insight.
You can be a hair model. You have the best hair on this forum. I never had hair like that even when I was a teen.

Reaction score
Looks like a NW1 hairline to me. Not perfectly straight across (your's is slightly rounded/angled) but not all NW1's are. As they say "continue to monitor" but at this point i'm not sure you have any signs of male pattern baldness whatsoever.

Do you think even if the sides thin out a little more that I should be concerned?

Really thick hair, if your hairline doesnt move up any noticeable amount in the next few years thats probably one of those genuine mature hairlines. I've noticed some guys have always had that v shaped, from their 20s to their 40s and 50s.

I mean I hope that is the case but I m unsure if the temples will continue to recede some more.

You can be a hair model. You have the best hair on this forum. I never had hair like that even when I was a teen.

I appreciate it but although my hair is thick and stuff is it fine to notice a change over the years? Like if let's say by age 25 or 26 it's noticeably worse then should I be concerned?

Dench57

My Regimen
Reaction score
50 posts with that hair? You have BDD, not male pattern baldness.

Reaction score
What is BDD? And thank you I appreciate that. It makes me feel kind of embarassed considering I know that my hair isn't by any means horrible and some posters have been quick to get pissed in the past saying I have no place here lol but I honestly do worry about what the future has in store basing it strictly off my family history and genes.

Agustin Araujo

My Regimen
Reaction score
What is BDD? And thank you I appreciate that. It makes me feel kind of embarassed considering I know that my hair isn't by any means horrible and some posters have been quick to get pissed in the past saying I have no place here lol but I honestly do worry about what the future has in store basing it strictly off my family history and genes.

BDD stands for Body Dysmorphic Disorder, it's a condition when a person is obsessed with a minor or an imagined physical defect, which often no one is able to see.

You have perfect hair, and I understand why you do not want to lose any of it, especially from your family history that has you concerned. For preventative measures, your best option is to make an appointment to see a hair transplant surgeon, and have them write you a prescription for Finasteride. They're the ones who'll care about your hair, and should understand why you prefer to be on the safe side.

Vlatch

Established Member
Reaction score
For preventative measures, your best option is to make an appointment to see a hair transplant surgeon, and have them write you a prescription for Finasteride. They're the ones who'll care about your hair, and should understand why you prefer to be on the safe side.
I usually agree with your posts but not this one, do not tell a guy who has perfect hair he can take finasteride for preventative measures.
It's a last resort and should be used only by people who are actually losing hair.

Dench57

My Regimen
Reaction score
BDD stands for Body Dysmorphic Disorder, it's a condition when a person is obsessed with a minor or an imagined physical defect, which often no one is able to see.

You have perfect hair, and I understand why you do not want to lose any of it, especially from your family history that has you concerned. For preventative measures, your best option is to make an appointment to see a hair transplant surgeon, and have them write you a prescription for Finasteride. They're the ones who'll care about your hair, and should understand why you prefer to be on the safe side.

Agree with Vlatch. This is awful advice. This guy should not be going anywhere near Finasteride.

Dunnowhat

Reaction score
Thoughts on my hairline?

I'm new so I can't create a thread, does anyone think I need to start treatment? I'm 21 years old and my hair line has been like this for 2 years now, no change at all. can't tell if it is receding or just mature, as it doesn't look bad from the top but the sides look receded and thin. Although my sides have always looked thinner than the rest of my head, ever since I was young.

Thanks for the help

Attachments

• Photo on 23-09-15 at 12.jpg
    Photo on 23-09-15 at 12.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 509
  • Photo on 23-09-15 at 123.jpg
    Photo on 23-09-15 at 123.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 508
  • Photo on 23-09-15 at 124.jpg
    Photo on 23-09-15 at 124.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 516

hairlifted

Established Member
Reaction score
You have a really low hairline and minimal temple receding, looks like the typical hairline moving up that happens to most guys in their 20s. If it hasn't changed in 2 years why would you think you need treatment?

Dench57

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm new so I can't create a thread, does anyone think I need to start treatment? I'm 21 years old and my hair line has been like this for 2 years now, no change at all. can't tell if it is receding or just mature, as it doesn't look bad from the top but the sides look receded and thin. Although my sides have always looked thinner than the rest of my head, ever since I was young.

Thanks for the help

No.

Wolf Pack

My Regimen
Reaction score
OP's hair looks perfect. I think Agustin went through a tough time with his hair loss in the sense that he didn't know about finasteride/dutasteride till much later. Therefore, he tries advise people to take it asap, especially with family history of hair loss - his heart in the right place. I don't think there is anything wrong with visiting a hair transplant surgeon AND having hair bulk tests done over a period of one year - that would tell you if it's very early male pattern baldness. Of course, here his hair appears perfect.