Opinions Needed!!!!

DelPiero1980

Reaction score
Hello to everyone!!!! I am new to this forum, and I hope this forum helps me make my decision. I am 27 years old, and my Norwood is 3 and probably 3 vertex although my crown is still healthy. I have big temples since I was 20, but my frontal hairline moved up significally around 24 to 26 years of age. Now at 27 I think it has stopped comparing with the pics of the last 2 years, and also my hair comb doesn't have any hairs in it. My frontal hair is weak and thin. I have seen people with big temples, but their frontal hair is long and healthy. I haven't taken any medication because I am an organic freak, I don't like medicines especially because they all have side-effects I am not risking taking side-effects for cosmetic purposes. However, I am considering FUE method because doesn't have (I believe) the scarring, bleading and big risk factors that Strip procedure has. I will post pictures soon, so you guys can give me an idea more or less. I am only 100 miles away from Beverly Hills , so Yes!! I am thinking Armani. I will schedule an appoinment to see him. You guys think its a wise decision?? Is Armani good and ethical?? I don't like suregies, but I am willing to do this because someone said in this forum that "We only live once", so I'd like to make the most out of my last years as a bachelor.
My other question is Does FUE or any hair transplant really works?? I mean are those before/after pics in Armani's website for real?? It always comes to my mind the saying "its to good to be true" does that apply to hair transplant??
Thanks

RaginDemon

Reaction score
You will still need to take finasteride AFTER hair transplant.

theanimator

Reaction score
Have you ever sported the shaved head look?

What other doctors besides Armani have you considered?

DelPiero1980

Reaction score
I hate it when people tell me to shave, Its a BIGGGG NO, NOOOOO.
I am going to a strip clinic in La Jolla just for overview and to see how many grafts do I need, and if I really qualify for a hair transplant at my age. I say no more than 1,500, but to achieve my desired density perhaps 2000?? They say Armani doesn't do less than 2,000. In La Jolla clinic they told me a couple of doctors who do FUE. One was I believe Raffman in LA area, and the other was Harris I think in Colorado. Like I said, I will only do FUE, so someone else know an honest and good FUE doctor in Cali, Nevada, or Arizona?? that is as far as will travel.

DelPiero1980

Reaction score
I hate it when people tell me to shave, Its a BIGGGG NO, NOOOOO.
I am going to a strip clinic in La Jolla just for overview and to see how many grafts do I need, and if I really qualify for a hair transplant at my age. I say no more than 1,500, but to achieve my desired density perhaps 2000?? They say Armani doesn't do less than 2,000. In La Jolla clinic they told me a couple of doctors who do FUE. One was I believe Raffman in LA area, and the other was Harris I think in Colorado. Like I said, I will only do FUE, so someone else know an honest and good FUE doctor in Cali, Nevada, or Arizona?? that is as far as will travel.

theanimator

Reaction score
If you never intend to shave your head, then I would consider the strip surgery as well...unless you have loads of cash. In my mind, the only major difference between FUE and FUS is the scar. Since you'll always have hair, nobody will ever see the scar. But the choice is all yours.

Best of Luck with your consultation.

PersonGuy

Established Member
Reaction score
DelPiero1980 said:
Like I said, I will only do FUE, so someone else know an honest and good FUE doctor in Cali, Nevada, or Arizona?? that is as far as will travel.

Do some more research. The fact that you've done practically none and you're A. not willing to travel. B. Not willing to get anything other than FUE shows that you want a quick miracle fix and are not fully aware of the commitment. Sometimes for a good hair transplant you HAVE to travel and FUE has limitations.

I don't mean to sound like a dick because I'm not. Trust me though, the realization may suck at first but in the end you'll be glad you did the research.

PersonGuy

Established Member
Reaction score
Also I didn't really find Armani to be that ethical when I went to the consult. There's no doubt he does great work, but I'm not sure he's got the patients best interests in mind. Even still he'll tell you to get on finasteride as he does all his patients.

DelPiero1980

Reaction score
I have been discusing this matter with friends and family since 2005. I am affraid of the FUS because I have seen comments on the web about the donor area's discomfort after surgery. I guy who lost his face feeling because of a nerve that was cut, etc. I hate this kinds of things and FUE looks and sounds a lot less painful especially after surgery.
If a decide to travel, where and with whom do you guys recomend to do the FUE?? The Doctors that I mentioned are not well known?? This Harris and Raffman??

G

DP1980,

PersonGuy gave you some good advice. Here's the thing. You said you have thinning in the frontal zone which means you will have future loss there. It also sounds like you have a diffused thinning pattern going on. Adequate research will inform you that male pattern baldness is a lifelong progressive condition which clearly means YOU WILL lose more hair in the future especially because of your decision not to take Propecia (finasteride), minoxidil, etc. In addition, are you aware that you run the risk of shocking out some and possibly a large amount of the diffused weak hair in your frontal zone? :roll:

Don't get me wrong. You have every right to the values and decisions you hold to regarding medications, but without them the trade-off is that you will lose more hair, period. :shock:

I am always amazed at how patients focus in on what they perceive as the immediate problem or need yet not consider future loss and how they will address that because research will also inform you that anyone's donor is limited.

Have you conisdered family history on both sides? What is the extent of male pattern baldness in your family history? Any advanced Norwood classes? If so, are you sure you want to move ahead especially if you are not going to take effective hairloss meds? :roll:

Lastly. Don't think FUE does not have extensive visible scarring. That may be true on a small case basis. But if your needs overall get into thousnads of grafts like most men, your donor zone can actually look worse with that many FUE extractions taken. :shock:

I recommend that you do more research before making any further decisions. :)

DelPiero1980

Reaction score
Thanks for your answers everyone!!!!
I will post pics tonight or tomorrow of my front hairline. I have big temples, those will be diminished a bit. I like temples, so I will not get rid of them. The front hairline that is left, if it falls what gives?? the transplanted hair will be there anyways right?? There is not much left, so I don't think if it falls it will look funny with the hair transplant remaining. Area 4 through the crown will probably fall within the next 5 years or so, that will be the 2nd procedure!!!!
That is what I think. I will have the appoinment with a hair transplant doctor on Monday, and I will discuss about my pattern of hair loss.
On other solutions, i am affraid of taking Propecia, really affraid. The side-effects are just overlaping the benefits. I have read people going into depression, enlargement of breast, change in sex life, etc. I am not sure I want to take that path. at the rate of hair is falling, I believe there will be other solutions in the future. The truth is, I don't think I will be bald completely, and if it happens probably around 55 or 60?? My father has really thing hair, but he is not bald. He is 62, has 6 brothers and only one has also thin hair, the rest have Elvis type of hair including the older brother who is 65. My mother's only 2 brothers, one is completely bald the other his hair started to thin at around 50, but both of my grandfathers were bald.
Well, i will post pics and you guys can help me decide, I personally won't make my decision based on a Dr.'s opinion because they are there for business only.
Thanks

G

If you research finasteride (Propecia), you will see that the "potential" side-effects are low in occurance. Most of the men who experience sexual side-effects state they go away after awhile. You will never know until you try the drug yourself. If you end up having side-effects that you cannot get resolved, you can always stop taking it. Consult your docotor about it.