Opinions required

hussan882

Reaction score
Thanks for taking time to read the post - need some input as I'm struggling to understand whats happening with my hair.

I have thinning on my crown and temples, I'm 37 years old. I went to see a derm who did a range of tests diagnosed it as male pattern baldness, advised I start to use minoxidil 5%, I have been applying foam (day) liquid (night) for approximately 6 months. I apply it to my crown and temples.

I seemed to respond ok to minoxidil on the crown, though hasnt really done much if anything for my temples (if anything I have lost hair on my left temple which hasnt grown back yet). I didnt have a major shed when starting minoxidil but I did thin out where it was applied...I definitely have lost hair from the rest of my head (where I wasnt applying minoxidil) it has thinned out significantly. I'm not sure if that was my male pattern baldness progressing or a side effect of minoxidil?

So fast forward about 3 months and I was continuing to lose hair from the middle of my head...so I finally bit the bullet and started finasteride .5mg ED.

For the first 4.5 months, my shedding didnt really change or decrease, it was pretty consistent until the last 4-5 weeks where it has increased significantly, but primarily from where I am applying minoxidil i.e. crown and temples. My hairline (excluding temples) has improved, thicker hair...the middle is still thinning out...

Primarily I loose hair every morning - probably in the region of 30ish (when i run my hands through my hair) and about 40ish when I shower and style my hair, my crown has thinned out significantly...its really thin compared to how it was a few months ago. Thats what I notice, I'm sure I am losing hair at other times too but I am trying not to think about it all the time.

I'm not sure if its the minoxidil or finasteride (or both) - I'm worried that minoxidil is damaging my hair (illustrated by my left temple which has lost hair and had no regrowth) whereas I think the increased density on my hairline is proving that finasteride is starting to work.

In terms of other information, I have noticed my hair and skin is more oily since starting finasteride, I also have a few acne type bumps on my scalp though I used to get those periodically before. But my scalp is definitely more oily.

Re shampoo, I dont use Nizoral i experimented but it was too harsh, dried out my scalp and caused flakyness. I use a organic SLS free shampoo which has really helped with my dry scalp - it got to a point where I could see flakes all over my scalp.

I am losing faith with minoxidil, I cant help but think its causing me to lose hair and its not growing back...

I am prepared to give finasteride more time - but I am after some opinions.

Is is it normal to shed on minoxidil around the 4-5 month mark? I am fast going back to how it was....

Is there something in me losing hair mainly every morning? I figure its because my T and therefore DHT levels are highest...should I consider taking 1mg of finasteride a day instead of .5mg?

Can minoxidil effect the rest of your scalp, the loss of density all over since I started has been significant.

Any help and or personal experiences would be much appreciated.

Thanks

TD500

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Your timeline is kind of hard to read and get a exact point on when you started minoxidil/finasteride when your major shedding hit and how long it has been.

How long have you been on minoxidil?
How long have you been on finasteride?

hussan882

Reaction score
Sure let me clarify - was a long rambling post!

Started approx minoxidil 6 months ago, started finasteride .5mg ED 3 months ago.

Had some shedding when I first started minoxidil but nothing drastic.

Been shedding quite a lot of hair everyday from about 4.5 months (so 3 months on Min, 1.5 on finasteride) - but only in the places where I apply minoxidil (crown and temples).

As a result of the shedding my hair on my crown and top (Vertex?) has thinned out considerably - but hair at the front has improved (except the temples).

Not sure if I should continue with minoxidil?

Plus - I wonder if there is a reason I lose the majority of hair in the morning and when I shower / style my hair, should I up my dose of finasteride?

Hope that helps

Edit: I should add, the hairs I'm shedding are mainly terminal. I have noticed a increase in shedding miniaturised hairs since starting finasteride I assume that its finasteride working.

TD500

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I believe if you see no improvements to where you applied minoxidil after 6 months you should quit HOWEVER, I'm unsure if the finasteride shed ( which you could be possibly going through ) would effect the minoxidil growth. Someone will probably give you a better answer.

Your current dose is fine you can bump to 1mg if you want. Most male pattern baldness suffers notice more hair fall when in the shower/styling its common.

hussan882

Reaction score
I believe if you see no improvements to where you applied minoxidil after 6 months you should quit HOWEVER, I'm unsure if the finasteride shed ( which you could be possibly going through ) would effect the minoxidil growth. Someone will probably give you a better answer.

Your current dose is fine you can bump to 1mg if you want. Most male pattern baldness suffers notice more hair fall when in the shower/styling its common.

Cheers - i had some initial improvements with minoxidil, my crown improved just not sure its losing effectiveness - any idea if its common to have multiple sheds while on minoxidil?

Is it normal for finasteride to cause shedding in the crown, or wherever hair has been miniaturised?

TD500

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Can't answer the first question

Second yes its normal to shed on finasteride in the male pattern baldness areas.