Oral finasteride vs Topical finasteride?

KANGA

Established Member
Reaction score
I've been splitting proscar into 1/4 (= 1.25mg) and I've experienced unwanted sides like libido, depression, etc.

I still have them, but I'm willing to try out Minoxidil now because my crown is quite thin, as well as my temples having receded over the past couple of years.

So, lets say I run over to Wal-Mart and pick up some generic minoxidil; would it be best to crush the finasteride tablets and mix it with the minoxidil, or take finasteride on a daily basis at a reduced dose (half a mg [0.5mg])?

Or should I pony up and go with Xandrox 15 plus? Or even spironolactone?

The only thing in my regimen is Nizoral, along with green tea, and Saw Palmetto. As you can imagine, absolutely no regrowth, and its hard to say if I'm maintaining due to lack of previous pics.

Heres some current pics:

Attachments

• Photo 22.jpg
    Photo 22.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 281
  • Photo 23.jpg
    Photo 23.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 286
  • Photo 24.jpg
    Photo 24.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 731
  • Photo 25.jpg
    Photo 25.jpg
    218.9 KB · Views: 263
  • Photo 26.jpg
    Photo 26.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 260
  • Photo 27.jpg
    Photo 27.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 321

Fundi

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I'd give it a shot - You may want to first try less than 0.5mg though. It blocks pretty much as much DHT as 1mg if it is systematically absorbed. Although the sides are likely to be less, you may still get them, in which case, wasted a whole bottle of minoxidil too.

There was also a study which produced results with a very low concentration of finasteride topically.

No harm in trying spironolactone also.

Jm0311

Reaction score
Try adding some fish oil to your diet. Also look into a form of copper peptides for scalp health/regrowth

I wouldnt jump on the xandrox 15% bandwagon yet. Try a 5% with A. Acid. or wait until Dr. Lee's 6% with finasteride comes out

try spironolactone cream or revivogen for the temples

pacinom

Reaction score
Kanga,

Try reducing or get off the saw palmetto dose for a while and see if that helps with the side effects. And try 1mg of finas and not 1.25 mg

In short try some variations.

Private Ryan

Established Member
Reaction score
as much as i wanted topical finasteride to work, my gut feeling is it work through getting into your body. therefore i suggest trying a lower dose.

Nevis

Reaction score
Hey Kanga how long were you on finasteride/split Proscar before getting the sexual sides? I just got off too---now 2 months---and also have gf "confirmation" of a difference in both libido and erections. But, like you, i'm searching for a new regime. I'm interested in topical finasteride but (like bryan too) wish there were more studies on it. The oldest one (i believe the Mazzarella study) was from 97 and used only a 0.005% solution of finasteride (in 50% ethyl alcohol, 25% PG, 25% distilled h2o). That found no evidence of systemic absorption. A more recent one did however, with higher concentration of finasteride (i believe). The most recent one posted here didn't bother to check serum changes...which really sucks and was (IMHO) a terrible study design and totally undercuts their conclusions (that oral finasteride and topical are similar in effect). Bryan feel free to correct me if my memory is off (I apologize for not checking myself right now).

Anyhow, if you do decide to try topical finasteride, do keep us/me posted on if you redevelop sides (esp libido, fog, depression).