oral spironolactone together with propecia

janacokr

Reaction score
I took propecia Mar 08 for 2 month and I had so many side effects including acne break out, facial hair grown, underarm sweat, my body got hairy and sweaty. It was like having 2nd puberty. My Doctor recommended me to stop and try it again, so I was on and off with propecia 3 times last year and whenever I took it I had same sides.

It's been 12 months since I completly stopped propecia, however I still have extremely oily face with acne, and body hair is still growing slowly, and getting more sweaty. As a result of acne breakout, my face finally turned into orange peel which makes me really depressed. (I'm using retin-A now for acne)

Most dermatologist are not familir with this symtom and I realized that it's rare but called hyperandrogenity. The blood work shows that I have pretty low side of testosterone level with low SHBG and it’s a good match since free testosterone is balanced. Maybe this is a clue that explaings hyperandrogenity

serum testosterone 242
sex hormone binding globulin (SHBG) 11

Recently I met with endocronologist and he recommened me oral sprio plus propecia which was a little suprise to me. (I thought they will never prescribe it due to feminine effect.) Since propecia increased quite a bit of free testosterone in my blood, his idea was to reduce it with sipro. I'm a bit scared of trying this med since he warned me of breast tenderness. We may start 25 or 50mg per day which is pretty low dose, but I'm not still confident with that.

My goal is to reduce hair loss, face oil, unwanted facial hair, acne etc. Please advise.

medmax84

Established Member
Reaction score
janacokr said:
I took propecia Mar 08 for 2 month and I had so many side effects including acne break out, facial hair grown, underarm sweat, my body got hairy and sweaty. It was like having 2nd puberty. My Doctor recommended me to stop and try it again, so I was on and off with propecia 3 times last year and whenever I took it I had same sides.

It's been 12 months since I completly stopped propecia, however I still have extremely oily face with acne, and body hair is still growing slowly, and getting more sweaty. As a result of acne breakout, my face finally turned into orange peel which makes me really depressed. (I'm using retin-A now for acne)

Most dermatologist are not familir with this symtom and I realized that it's rare but called hyperandrogenity. The blood work shows that I have pretty low side of testosterone level with low SHBG and it’s a good match since free testosterone is balanced. Maybe this is a clue that explaings hyperandrogenity

serum testosterone 242
sex hormone binding globulin (SHBG) 11

Recently I met with endocronologist and he recommened me oral sprio plus propecia which was a little suprise to me. (I thought they will never prescribe it due to feminine effect.) Since propecia increased quite a bit of free testosterone in my blood, his idea was to reduce it with sipro. I'm a bit scared of trying this med since he warned me of breast tenderness. We may start 25 or 50mg per day which is pretty low dose, but I'm not still confident with that.

My goal is to reduce hair loss, face oil, unwanted facial hair, acne etc. Please advise.

I don't know, in healthy individuals it seems stupid to add additional medications when a cosmetic MEDICATION is causing the problem. I'd consider discontinuing finasteride (propecia) and dealing with your hairloss through other means.

In medicine, medications are often used to counteract the unwanted effects of other medications, but it is usually because a patient is AT RISK if the discontinue the offending medication. Your situation is markedly different.

Best of luck. Remember, spironolactone is an extremely potent drug. Dose AS DIRECTED by your endocrinologist!!!!!!!!!!

Here's an excerpt from my medical school scribe notes pertaining to spironolactone:

Interferes with BOTH androgen receptors and CYP450 in testicular microsomes.

This means that not only does it BLOCK androgen receptors, but it also interferes with testicular synthesis of testosterone via the Leydig cells which accounts for >95% of the total testosterone output in your body.