OT: Deleting Internet Files

Kramer3

Established Member
Reaction score
Okay, as of late my computer has been extremely slow. I remember a while back one of my buddies telling me that by deleting old internet files I would be able to speed it up. Do any of you know the process of how to do this? The reason I posted it here is because one of my friends is coming over and I hate how when you type in h, the drop box pulls up all of the websites you been to that starts with h. I'm going to be using the computer when he's around and really don't want to have to explain why hairlosshelp, hairlosstalk and hairlossisreversible all show up. Thanks.

G

If you are using 'Internet Explorer' go find your prefrences (in one of the explorer menus somewhere)

in the prefrences dialog there is a column on the left, find the bit that says web browser open that up, a list should pop up beneath it (if it is not already opened).

towards the bottom of that list is Advanced click on this and the advanced options should appear on the right hand side.

At the top right it should say History click the clear history button/

You can also empty the cache (empty now button), which should be directly underneath this.

good luck you dirty p**rn addict

Ty

twmajors

Established Member
Reaction score
If you are using Internet Explorer, an easier way is to go to Tools, Internet Options, then you can click on Clear History, Delete Cookies, and Delete Files (Include all offline content).

If you want to clear your Cache (recommended), go to Start, Find Files or Folders, then type in Cache. Delete everything that is brought up unless the computer tells you it is crucial.
Newer Microsoft systems you will go to Start, Search, All Files and Folders, and then Cache.

But if you have a slow computer it might be infected with Spyware or Shareware. This is when you've downloaded p**rn and someone hacks into your computer and steals your info or uses it to re-route their location or many other shitty things. Get a good Anti-virus program and keep it updated.

If that doesn't help to speed up your computer you always have the option of re-formatting your hard drive. It wipes your computer clean. You can then re-install your essential programs, adding on what you would like for extras.
Call tech support for help re-formatting. It is DOS based and you need help.

G

twmajors said:
An eye for an eye only makes the whole world blind.

twmajors I think 'an eye for an eye' could be workable, it wouldn't leave the whole world blind, just a lot of people with mono vision.

blue

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Id say use your pc as a bowling ball and run it into a brick wall...then go buy a Mac.

G

Yeeeeaaaaaahhhhhhhh!

I was waiting for someone to start to PC v Mac thing! :lol: :D :lol: :shock: :lol:

My instuctions above where for IE5 on the Mac

blue

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Im sorry but pc is garbage compared to mac...i mean you never get viruses,its safe,its way easier to use........and macs look better although i must say pc is more practical because so many people have it.

twmajors

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey Tynan, I think you might have to take the logistics of the quote up with the originator. Last time I checked though Gandhi is unreachable for comment.

HairFarmer

Established Member
Reaction score
Easy..

1)Buy a dvd burner..burn all your sh*t on disc
2)Format the sl*t
3)Partition the drives
4)Have C: drive used only for very important programs (essential) the other drive for all your storage of everything.
5)Up your ram to a minimum 512/1024
6)Defragment your hard discs on a regular basis, lower the amount of space allowed for temporary internet files, clear your temp folder and make sure the OS is MShome or pro...

This will guarantee a smooth running OS...

The Gardener

Reaction score
I agree with the suggestion above to clear your internet history. Go to your control panel, select Internet Options, clear history (this gets rid of your auto-fill problem when your friend types "h" in the URL bar), then delete cookies, delete files.

Other suggestions to speed up your computer:

1) Regular defragmentation
2) Download an Internet Optmizer program
3) Download a Registry Cleaner/Optimizer program
4) Uninstall any old programs that you don't use anymore

too bald too furious

Experienced Member
Reaction score
The easiest thing to do is install a new browser. So if you have IE, install like Safari/Mozilla..and you can keep the "clean" browsers for guests.
Remove the IE icon from desktop and put in some folder only you can find out. One more thing, while installing a new browser, DO NOT import history from the older browser, from where you have been surfing HairlossTalk,hairloss help etc etc. :D

G

Kramer3

LOL :lol: I think some of the suggestions here are nothing short of madness! I mean...Buy a DVD, format your hard drive, install a new browser, back up all your software....etc etc etc..

good grief ! you people !

If this guy is asking how to delete his internet history don't you think he is going to struggle a little with clearing his whole hard drive and reinstalling all his software!

Kramer3 like I said in my first post to stop all the sites you have visited starting with H popping up when you type H in the field address at the top of your browser simply delete your Internet History and your cache instructions in my first post

Do Not delete all your cookies unless you want to loose all your passwords and registration details on any sites you use.

Also try upping your cache size, this is under cache as instructed above.

AKA

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm clearing the History and emptying the Cache, but it's still comin' up wit dat sheet in the address bar (IE5 on a Mac). :cry:

The Gardener

Reaction score
If you deleted the history files and are still getting autofill entries on your URL bar, then it means that you have a stealth tracing module running on your computer which was installed either by law enforcement or your girlfriend. You're busted. Hide the pipe.

:lol:

The Gardener

Reaction score
Just kidding.

My next suggestion would be to go to download dot com and get a free history erasing package. A friend recommended to me something called Privacy Guardian, it cleans up everything... internet history, temp files, cached sh*t, etc.

blue

Experienced Member
Reaction score
if we are talking about a mac....there shouldnt even be a question about how to empty your caches and history its easy enough for a fourth grader to do.

G

blue said:
if we are talking about a mac....there shouldnt even be a question about how to empty your caches and history its easy enough for a fourth grader to do.

...true, on a mac just call up your prefrences (command ;) and 'click click, job done.

no DOS reinstallation, no software back ups or formatting, no new copy of Internet explorer and no freakin' bill for a new DVD burner. :freaked: