paradigm's story - (20 Years Old - And "Thinning?")

paradigm

Reaction score
I've grown up feeling comforted by the fact that I "supposedly" take after my grandfather (mothers side) because he had died with a complete thick set of hair.

A month ago the hairdresser says "Oh, your hair is thinning in the front!"

I've been feeling my head lately, and it seems true.

I'm no expert, but I've been analyzing the situation. Would like to hear what people think. I went to a dermatologist as well, and she said "It doesn't look like it's thinning", but I can tell.

- Mother's side is good with hair. Very good. No baldness or thinning.
- Dad's side is bad.
- Brother is balding.
- I have a very poor diet.
- I used lots of styling wax to style my hair, which I believe may be the biggest reason. You tell me?
- I didn't condition/shampoo my hair very often.
- If it >has< been thinning, it's been happening at an excessively fast rate than it should typically according to reasearch I've gathered on the internet. Things seemed fine earlier this year.

I would like to hear the input of people here. It seems like many factors to consider at hand.

Thanks!

Rick

RaginDemon

Reaction score
Re: 20 Years Old - And "Thinning?"

if the derm tells you that your okey, you should be okey.

paradigm

Reaction score

Raging: The crown of my hair does not feel as thick as the sides or back of my hair. That's the biggest reason I am seeing. And when I look in the mirror, I can see my scalp more clearly.

RaginDemon

Reaction score

paradigm said:
Raging: The crown of my hair does not feel as thick as the sides or back of my hair. That's the biggest reason I am seeing. And when I look in the mirror, I can see my scalp more clearly.

get on big 3 if thats the case

hairwegoagain

Reaction score

paradigm said:
I'm no expert, but I've been analyzing the situation. Would like to hear what people think. I went to a dermatologist as well, and she said "It doesn't look like it's thinning", but I can tell.

- Mother's side is good with hair. Very good. No baldness or thinning.

Doesn't necessarily mean you won't bald.

- Dad's side is bad.

Doesn't necessarily mean you will bald.

- Brother is balding.

Doesn't necessarily mean you will bald. However, the cumulative data is certainly pointing to that possibility.

- I have a very poor diet.

Doesn't have anything to do with it from a practical standpoint.

- I used lots of styling wax to style my hair, which I believe may be the biggest reason. You tell me?

Not a contributor.

- I didn't condition/shampoo my hair very often.

Not a contributor.

- If it >has< been thinning, it's been happening at an excessively fast rate than it should typically according to reasearch I've gathered on the internet. Things seemed fine earlier this year.

It can happen as you describe. If I were you, however, I'd follow the advice of the dermatologist for the time being. See how things go over the next 6 months or so. Go back to the same or different derm and reassess.

I would like to hear the input of people here. It seems like many factors to consider at hand.

There's really only one potential factor, and that's hereditary hairloss. Don't panic, though...should male pattern baldness be confirmed, you have caught it early and there are effective treatments that will likely help you keep what you have for an extended period.

RaginDemon

Reaction score

gotta love that CCS quote :punk:

TheGlamorous

Established Member
Reaction score

paradigm said:
Thanks for the detailed input.

What is Big 3?

Propecia (finasteride) - the pill you take daily to slow down/stop hair loss

Rogaine (minoxidil) - the sh*t you put on your scalp to regrow hair daily

Nizoral Shampoo - was used by test subjects for propecia so results are supposidely better with this in the combination. It also apparantly has some anti-androgenic properties (ie: it is like a mild form of Rogaine, cept in a shampoo).

Hope that helps.

RaginDemon

Reaction score

TheGlamorous said:
paradigm said:
Thanks for the detailed input.

What is Big 3?

Propecia (finasteride) - the pill you take daily to slow down/stop hair loss

Rogaine (minoxidil) - the $#iT you put on your scalp to regrow hair daily

Nizoral Shampoo - was used by test subjects for propecia so results are supposidely better with this in the combination. It also apparantly has some anti-androgenic properties (ie: it is like a mild form of Rogaine, cept in a shampoo).

Hope that helps.

Nizoral is a very wild form of DHT blocker, like finasteride, not minoxidil.

Rogaine (minoxidil) has no capability to block DHT at all.

paradigm

Reaction score
So... using the Big 3 -- does that mean you'll still result in baldness eventually? Or it helps to RETAIN what you have right now?

Thanks.

k3nn7i

Established Member
Reaction score
In most cases, you'll be able to maintain what you have with the big 3. though you might go through the so-called shedding phase and it is actually this that scared the sh*t out of most people.

In some cases, you'll experience a regrowth as well. but still you might not get back the thickness that you already lost.

gd luck bro...

RaginDemon

Reaction score
shedding comes and goes, just ride it out, GL!

paradigm

Reaction score
So for the rest of my life I'll need to pill pop something like Propecia to maintain the hair?

How long does it take to see effects?

What's the % of cases where people "shed" and how bad is the shedding?

RaginDemon

Reaction score
its a life time commitment til you dont care about your hair

it will take up to 6 months to see some difference on average.