Patent on Making Topical finasteride. (or dutasteride.)

pratc

Established Member
Reaction score
I find it interesting that by adding a sunscreen ingredient, octyl salicylate, the absorbtion of finasteride increased ten fold.

Old Baldy

Reaction score
Pratc: Yes, I was surprised also. Healthy stuff and good at penetration!

I posted this patent before but "bumped" it up because we've been talking about topical finasteride./dutasteride. lately.

Some people add a little oil to the mix and polysorbate 20 or 80 to emulsify the oil, alcohol and water into a homogeneous solution. Octyl salicylate has fatty alcohols in it. A little polysorbate will help it emulsify with the other stuff.

You can buy octyl salicylate here:

http://www.lemelange.com/oil_liquid_cream_wax_g_-_p.htm

You can buy your 190 proof alcohol here:

http://chemistrystore.com/perfumersblend.htm

The Chemistry Store has alot of other good stuff like oleic acid and various oils, chemicals, additives, etc. My favorite oil is squalene. Light, colorless and odorless with good penetration qualities. Fairly expensive though. (I think it's made from olive oil?)

College likes borage oil. Nothing wrong with that oil either IMHO. Healthy oil for concoctions. Not as good at penetration as squalene from what I've read though. Grapeseed oil ain't bad either IMHO.

How much finasteride./dutasteride. you use is up to you. I really don't have a good handle on how much to use. I'm starting off medium (i.e., 4 proscar tabs and/or 4 dutasteride. gelcaps per 60ml). I still use finasteride. because I have some left over from when I used to take it orally.

CCS

Reaction score
I don't like borage oil (well, I do for other reasons as an internal). I like the fatty acids in borage oil.

If I buy a gallon of it for $120-160, I'm going to add 5 types of anti-oxidants (grape seed, green tea, apply poly, tall oil, and a few other extracts or stuff) and make a once a day face mask as well as applying it to my whole top of head, and I'll split it with people. I just got to figure out how to make the fatty acids, and know that I have them and not soap or oil.

I like the octyl salicate idea. If it aids penetration and protects my scalp from UV rays, that is good.

CCS

Reaction score
the fatty acids from the borage would come to $5 per month, plus the cost of HCl and NaOH. The borage sounds expensive, but it is not. I just don't want to buy it before I know what to separate it.

And my CheE professor hired me to work on a project for Intel, treating their waste water. I'll be making about $8.50 and hour. The importance of that is I can work less as a cashier. So I will have access to the lab for a while now. I just have to give a presentation on Friday, which conveniently is when the hiring will take place. I think it is meant as a final test to seal the deal.

pratc

Established Member
Reaction score
After reading more, older forum comments about topical absorption, I was wondering if the octyl salicylate would be good to get more (of whatever) in quicker so it can bond before being 'washed' away by blood flowing or would the higher concentration increase diffusion away from the follicle and negate its effect.

Also wondering if when people take topical dutasteride, for example, with minoxidil, if the minoxidil would hinder bonding because minoxidil increases blood flow.

Would tpoicals be best at bedtime when metabolism is lower?