Paul's Story - (26 / & ready to grab by the horns)

PaulWall

Reaction score
Hey everybody. (Are the forums a completely separate thing than the 'Hairloss Social Network'? Kind of confusing...)

Anyways, Hi. What's going on. I'm Paul.

I'm 26, have always had a thick head of hair, and never even thought twice about hair loss. I've always had widows peaks, but it hasn't necessarily gotten that much worse over the past 10 years, so I never really thought about it....well, until I got my haircut recently.

I came home from my haircut and took a quick shower. Upon exiting the shower and drying off, I immediately noticed in the mirror that my I could see scalp in a small round patch about 1-2" from the front of my hairline in the center of my head. I thought maybe it was the haircut, but 4 weeks later, it's clear to me now. My hair is thinning.

I, to say the least, freaked out a little.

I immediately found this website, and have been lurking over the forums and reading about people and their experiences with all of the different types of treatments since. One of the things that stood out was 'the earlier you start, the easier and more effective it will be'. Well, I figured now is as good a time as any, because I think that I could actually live with how my hair is now. I just don't want it to get worse.

SO. Here I am.

Like I said, my hairloss isn't horrible right now - I just want to nip this problem in the bud while it's still, well, a bud. I also definitely wouldn't mind having some regrowth in the places I have noticed some loss (if possible).

I've been reading a lot about all of the different stories and treatments and was hoping that somebody could help me figure out some kind of regimen to follow. One story that really stood out to me was Zeroheat's: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=56072&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

I am interested in doing something similar to what he did: Generic finasteride, Nizoral, minoxidil. I haven't seen a doctor yet, as I don't think I have enough hairloss to warrant any kind of a prescription yet :-/. Does anybody have any recommended brands/places of purchase? I have a pretty decent job, so money isn't a HUGE factor, although if possible I would really like to keep it cheap.

Anyways, I just wanted to take the first step into actually doing something with this by getting into the community and getting feedback as opposed to just blindly lurking these forums!

Any suggestions are welcome!

UPDATE:

Sorry this took so long - I was out of town. I'll post below the pics of where I am currently at. After looking at some of these, I think the problem is worse than I realize :sobbing:...

I purposely tried to pull my hair apart to get a sense of how much hair was thinning in these pics.
[attachment=0:qzat7p8v]Top 1 - Before Shower.JPG[/attachment:qzat7p8v]
[attachment=2:qzat7p8v]Left 2 - Widows Peak Pulled.JPG[/attachment:qzat7p8v]
[attachment=1:qzat7p8v]Right 2 - Widows Peak Pulled.JPG[/attachment:qzat7p8v]

Attachments

• Left 2 - Widows Peak Pulled.JPG
    Left 2 - Widows Peak Pulled.JPG
    257.9 KB · Views: 194
  • Right 2 - Widows Peak Pulled.JPG
    Right 2 - Widows Peak Pulled.JPG
    232.2 KB · Views: 193
  • Top 1 - Before Shower.JPG
    Top 1 - Before Shower.JPG
    222.4 KB · Views: 196

sadscalp

Established Member
Reaction score
Re: Paul's Story - (26 years old & ready to grab by the horns)

If you ask me, I say you should start on finasteride and nizoral in the beginning, no minoxidil. Stay on those for 12 months, and see if they maintain your hair and give you any regrowth. If after 12 months you want more regrowth, add minoxidil.

PaulWall

Reaction score

Couple more pics. These are post-shower:

[attachment=0:ratnunz1]Top 2 - Post Shower.JPG[/attachment:ratnunz1]
[attachment=1:ratnunz1]Right 1 - Widows Peak.JPG[/attachment:ratnunz1]
[attachment=2:ratnunz1]Left 1 - Widows Peak.JPG[/attachment:ratnunz1]

Attachments

• Left 1 - Widows Peak.JPG
    Left 1 - Widows Peak.JPG
    216.9 KB · Views: 192
  • Right 1 - Widows Peak.JPG
    Right 1 - Widows Peak.JPG
    259.4 KB · Views: 173
  • Top 2 - Post Shower.JPG
    Top 2 - Post Shower.JPG
    168.3 KB · Views: 179

PaulWall

Reaction score

Don't know if this is necessary, but this is how I style my hair everyday. I am very surprised by how much scalp is showing with the flash - it normally doesn't look like that when looking in the mirror :dunno: ... all the more reason to start, right?

[attachment=0:nzrblfnb]Top 3 - Styled.JPG[/attachment:nzrblfnb]
[attachment=1:nzrblfnb]Right 3 - Styled.JPG[/attachment:nzrblfnb]
[attachment=2:nzrblfnb]Left 3 - Styled.JPG[/attachment:nzrblfnb]

Attachments

• Left 3 - Styled.JPG
    Left 3 - Styled.JPG
    222.7 KB · Views: 173
  • Right 3 - Styled.JPG
    Right 3 - Styled.JPG
    219.2 KB · Views: 188
  • Top 3 - Styled.JPG
    Top 3 - Styled.JPG
    180.7 KB · Views: 206

Vanzzzz

Established Member
Reaction score

Hey your hairloss is quite similar to mine, except I am 2 years younger than you, and have slightly more severe temple loss.

I kinda agree with sadscalp. Too bad I am too impatient to wait 12 months before starting minoxidil.

PaulWall

Reaction score

So there you go.

SadScalp - thanks for the reply.

I really don't know what the next step is. Do I see a doctor? Would he prescribe me something? Do I just go ahead and get some generic finasteride from somewhere?

I have health insurance (not that they would even do anything), but I am totally fine with just getting some generic stuff if it is the same as Propecia. I am even willing to spend a little more money if it means ensuring I am getting quality stuff. I have just read too many stories of people getting crap finasteride when they order online.

Also, when people are talking Nizoral, are we talking about a specialty type of Nizoral, or just the stuff you can get from Target?

Thanks for all of the help, guys. I appreciate it.

sergiotahini

Established Member
Reaction score
Go to the propecia website and click on "find a doctor." It should tell you if there are any doctors near you that will prescribe propecia for free. As far as Nizoral goes, the propecia is really what matters so the 1% Nizoral at Target should be fine (it's what I use).

Good luck. It sucks when you suddenly realize that you're going bald. I was the same way; I probably started thinning at 26 but didn't realize I was definitely losing it until I was 29 or so. Don't expect to see any results whatsoever from propecia for nearly a year.

PaulWall

Reaction score
I went and clicked on the 'Find a doctor' link, but it appears to redirect to the home page? Unless my browser is messed up.

But while we are on topic - Is there any real advantage of getting on something like Propecia over generic finasteride? I guess that if finasteride and Propecia are basically identical products with identicle treatments, I'm not sure why one would pay the premium for a product that can be bought for cheaper.

And I'm not being critical or anything when I say this, I am curious - why see a doctor? Simply because Propecia is a prescription drug?