Paxil has cured my scalp.

youngbaldie

Established Member
Reaction score
Ok, just a little quick history.

I am NW2 diffuse, age 24. Began having diffuse thinning at 18-19, with incredibly painful itch and scalp burn..to the point of bleeding (without even scratching it). This torment continued and progressively got worse up until 22. At this point, I decided to shampoo with nizoral and t-gel, alternating every other day. This slowed down the loss, and thickened it up some. It slightly reduced the itch, but was still really bad on certain days. I continued with these topicals alone for about a year, then at 23, I changed my diet drastically. I consumed massive amounts of soy milk and green tea extract every day for about 6 months. I believe this helped a little, but I can't be certain. The positive benefits could have been due to prolonged nizoral and t-gel use. At this point, my scalp itch had its good and bad days, but overall was much better than it was a few years ago. World of difference. I should also note that I held to a pretty strict diet for this 6 months. No red meat, low glycemic index, etc (but I am beginning to doubt that this really impacts scalp conditions all that much).

Ok, still at 23, at around June this year, I tried a high dose of Saw Palmetto for a month. This helped somewhat, but I hated the side effects..bad stomach, insomnia, etc. I dropped it, then added Propecia, 1mg. I took this every day for 2 months. Well, this really calmed my scalp down the most out of all my treatments, at least the back of my scalp. But the front widows peak felt raw on this stuff and was thinning out rapidly. Itched and stung like hell. Strange though, it really did help the rest of my head a lot.

I had to drop the propecia after 2 months though because of the terrible sexual sides I got. No libido, no erections whatsoever, completely limp at all times of the day and night. It was horrible. Who knows, maybe all of the soy that was still in my system had an additive effect. No idea. I just hated the way I felt. I lost all motivation to really do anything in life, and was extremely anxious and depressed. I dropped it, and my scalp itch returned to pre propecia levels, but the widows peak started to thicken back up and it didn't sting as much.

I basically took nothing for 1 month after that August to September 07. I generally felt like crap still, so I chose to take Paxil, hoping that it might repair any chemical imbalance that could have been caused by all of these hormone fluctuations.

I have been taking 20 mg of paxil for about 2 months now, since September 1st. I am shocked and stunned by the results. For the first time in years, my burning scalp feels completely back to normal. This feeling started as soon as I took the paxil and ended only in the past few days because I wanted to experiment being off it for a week to see if it was really the paxil. Well, apparently it is. My scalp feels very healthy on this stuff, it feels like it did when I was 17, its unbelievable. The only problem is that Paxil has some nasty sexual sides too, but is that perhaps the reason for my recovery? Strange..just be careful with this stuff guys, it kills your sex drive. I am thinking of getting off of it for this reason, but maybe the experts on here could offer some insight into why Paxil has cured my scalp condition. The itch really is down like 95%. For the past month, I have barely even used any T-Gel or Nizoral, I eat terribly too, like Burger King every day (just to see the effects of diet). I can eat all of these horrible foods, and my scalp has never felt better while on the paxil. Shedding has decreased dramatically as well, and my hair is definately thicker. But the real benefits are the elimination of that horrible, torturous scalp burn, tingle, and itch.

Just wanted to share my story with you guys, because I know some of you on this site have the same condition with the scalp burning, and I know how painful it is and how much it effects your life. I don't want to get your hopes up, but its definately the Paxil that has done this. I am not saying it will help you, but it definately helped me. Just be careful though, because of the sexual sides. I don't want to mess you up in that area, and Paxil does do this to a lot of people including myself.

Good luck with whatever your decision.

kento

Established Member
Reaction score
Don't know what to say because i have simular scalp problems but i've read about Paxil and that is antidepressant in a group of drugs called selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors not a joke thing to use it too serious side effects. Seems that your scalp problems are connected with depresion maybe you shoud try yoga or some other save way to stay chilled